“I did my homework before choosing Hotel Le Bleu....and it payed off!”
Review of Hotel Le Bleu

Hotel Le Bleu
Ranked #17 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I carefully read reviews for dozens of hotels in Brooklyn and Manhattan before choosing Hotel Le Bleu. This is a very nice property. Our room was a visual treat, everything was ultra-clean and looked new, the staff was helpful and eager to please, the subway is just a few blocks from the door of the hotel, and great restaurants are situated a short walk away through nice residential neighborhoods. My recent road trip from Ohio to Florida influenced my decision to rate the value at only a three. NYC Hotel prices are a shock to many of us midwesterners. I paid $280 for my last-minute reservation for a Wednesday night stay. Based on comments from other reviewers I expected the immediate vicinity of the hotel to be a negative. Street View in Google Earth reinforced my apprehension...everything looked grim and industrial. The reality is quite different. The hotel is set back from the road, which makes for good sleeping. The taxi garage next door looks like the set of the old Taxi sitcom from a few decades back. And the street in front of the hotel actually has a safe and friendly feel, even to this innocent couple from the 'burbs in Ohio.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 5, 2010

This is a nice hotel with a couple of unnecessary problems. First of all, the beds are great and the large Philips TV has probably the best picture I've ever seen. The rooms are euro-contemporary but nicely decorated. They pass around nice little breakfast boxes (but zero protein if your the healthy type) in the morning if you let them know by 2 am. The Little Problems: 1. At nearly $300 per night with all the fees, they're a little over proud. 2. The all glass toilet area - even though it's slightly frosted - is a little weird to me. I'd be uncomfortable if I was travelling with someone else. 3. The shower has a ceiling mounted shower head and confusing controls. The result is that you have to reach or lean through ice cold water to set the temperature. The bigger problems: 1. They have only two people working in the evening. They're nice but if there are any problems they can't really do anything but say they're sorry. 2: They have 48 room but only 15 parking spaces! If you get there after about 8:30 and you have a car you're out of luck. I arrived on my last trip at midnight and they told me parking was my problem. Drive around the side streets and see if you can find any space (I could not) or park across the street in a pay lot for $22 (but closed when I got there). I drove around for 40 minutes until somebody moved nearly 3 blocks away. That was enough for me. I liked it my first stay but had too many problems in the last two stays. There's not much selection in Brooklyn but I'll try somewhere else next visit.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at Hotel La Bleu two months ago. She used the bathroom minutes after checking in – they have those fancy glass doors. She tried to open it - it shattered all over her. The glass cut her leg and lacerated other parts of her body. The staff called an ambulance. The ambulance came and took us to the hospital, she required stitches.

Here’s where it gets crazy.

While at the hospital I get a call from my bank saying the hotel is running my credit card. They were trying to charge me for the door. I call the hotel and demand to know what’s going on. I am told the GM is not available. I ask who told them to charge my card. I get the run around. I call again. I am given the number to the VP of Operations - I call his number. No answer. I call the hotel and demand to speak to someone who can tell me what is going on. No luck.

We are discharged from hospital. Upon arriving back at the hotel we are told we must vacate the premises – VACATE THE PREMISES – it is “protocol”. I start arguing. Finally, we get on the phone with the General Manager. He says that, no, in fact, we are not kicked out and should stay, and then meet with him and the VP of Operations, the following morning.

We are frustrated. We feel victimized. But we agree to do so. We are given new rooms, but our bags are still in the old one; there’s glass and blood on the floor. The staff do not move the bags for us. My girlfriend and I do it.

The next morning, we talk to the GM; he seems fair, apologetic, reasonable. We say we want the hotel to pay for the medical bills and comp our room – requests we made the previous night too. He says the VP of Operations will be in soon. We meet with him.

My girlfriend says, “we don’t want to get a lawyer involved, we just want to get our medical costs covered and our room comped”. The VP of Operations responds by saying now we’ve mentioned something legal we need to get lawyer.

We get upset. He says he does not want to “waste any more of the management’s time on this matter”. We are told to check out at 12:30. Now we’re really upset. He tells us we need to leave immediately. We go upstairs, pack and come back down. The VP of Operations is sitting in the lobby, my girlfriend, makes her case again - he says he’s calling the police. At this point we’re livid, we say fine, we’d like to speak to them too. We wait outside for the police. They do not come.

We leave. This is how it ends.

This happened two months ago and I haven’t written anything until now. Why? Because honestly it’s such a bad experience I just wanted to forget it. But I haven’t. Nor will I ever.

Thank you, Hotel La Bleu, for being one of the worst experiences of my life.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
11  Thank marcin_km
gmhlb, General Manager at Hotel Le Bleu, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2010

As with most hotels, our top priority is to serve our guests well. It is only when guests break things or rules that cause the hotel, like any business to take every precaution in dealing with the legal situation.

According to our records the glass door was not defective as you claimed. It had been "slammed" into the stall that caused it to shatter. This is a brand new build construction hotel, that is less than 3 years old, and had passed rigourous inspections for certification.

TripAdvisor is not a forum for any legal issues or disputes.

Reviewed July 20, 2010

I recently returned from a "girls weekend". Picked Hotel Le Bleu for it's decor and proximity to the subway and family. Located in the Park Slope area of Brooklyn, it does stick out as an oddity (set back from the street in between Pep-Boys and a Taxi Depot). Though definitely lacking in curb appeal, this hotel has tremendous potential, especially with the roof top bar and restaurant (with an unobstructed view of Manhattan), comfortable rooms, and patient and attentive staff. We were always greeted with a warm smile at the front desk, a cool drink and great company at the bar (thank you, bartender Michael), and never had to ask twice for help with directions or suggestions from our patient front desk gals (thank you, Assya and Amanda). There are great places to eat on 5th (one block up) and the neighborhood felt safe (though one can never forget you're in Brooklyn). Both my sister-in-law, and I are seasoned travelers, and know a great hotel when we stay in one...Hotel Le Bleu is now on our list of favorites. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2010

First the negatives. Room a little on small size; pics don't show that the hotel is surrounded by industrial buildings on the desolate fringe of Park Slope; no common areas, not even a bathroom (driving guests to invade the 8th floor restaurant for the purpose); no fitness center; and too expensive for what you get. BUT don't get the wrong idea, but for the steep price, this would be my pick anytime I go to Brooklyn. Staff extraordinary: friendly and happy to do anything they can for you - I think the most accommodating crew I've ever encountered in a hotel. Beds very comfortable. Largest best flat screen TV I've seen anywhere, w Bose sound. Parking, while not plentiful, is free and protected. The continental breakfast, delivered to your door when you want it, is a neat concept - and the croissant was heated and bagel toasted. We didn't have the chance to try the new Italian restaurant on the 8th floor but the one room trattoria looks delightful and host Mark was very welcoming. The bar on the top floor was nice and the small terrace facing Manhattan on both levels was great. Pay the extra bucks and stay on the Manhattan side.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2010

This hotel is top notch! Great service as well as awesome rooms. The newly opened roof top bar is the only one of its kind in Brooklyn. It has awesom views of the city and of the statue of liberty. You are three short blocks from the subway and can ride it into the city and it takes about 15 minutes. I highly reccommend for anyone staying in NYC.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We traveled for the first time to Brooklyn to attend a wedding reception. We were given a the choice of a couple of hotels recommended by our host, Hotel Le Bleu was the most friendly and accommodating from the first phone call. We were driving from Virginia, and I really was not sure what to expect. When I called and talked to their front desk before making the reservation, they were very informative and after talking to them I went on line to book our room. We booked one wk before travelling and actually got a better deal. The trip was great, and we all had a great time. My family would love to stay their again. Thanks.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family