“Always a Great Stay”
Review of Hotel Le Bleu

Hotel Le Bleu
Ranked #17 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel several times and it always exceeds my expectations. It is always extremely clean, and since the rooms are primarily white, any dirt would be noticeable. The lobby staff are extremely friendly and always willing to help, either with directions, recommendations or simply calling a car service. The hotel is also conveniently located on 4th Ave to the subway. A continental breakfast is set out every morning and is very good with a variety of choices. I will be a repeat customer every time I return to Park Slope. There are few hotels in the Park Slope area and certainly none as comfortable, clean or conventient as Hotel LeBleu.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Bleu

Reviewed September 9, 2009

stained pillowcases (blood)--- I thought my tv audio was still on, took me 5 minutes to realize it was the neighbors tv that just sounded so loud because the construction is so flimsy. shower started running periodically all on its own. view of the truck parking lot barbed wire in back....

its a dump with lipstick...

i hate writing reviews, and yet took the time to write this...

i left at 1am- just done...

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank smidgely
timanctil, General Manager at Hotel Le Bleu, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to outline your experience.

This morning I had my housekeeping staff do a thorough search for the pillow cases you described. We have not located them, but will continue to look as we take comments like yours very seriously.

Our hotel rooms are of the highest design which includes a BOSE Surround Sound System and 48" panel television mounted in every guestroom along with 200 channels of Direct TV. Sometimes guests get a bit excited by the systems and raise volume too loud. A simple call to the front desk and we would have asked the neighboring guest to turn down their system.

With regard to our neighborhood, one can easily list a dozen stunning hotels which lead the improvement of many New York neighborhood which were questionable or downright dangerous when the hotels opened such as Thompson LES, Gansevoort (meatpacking district) and Paramount (midtown west.)

We feel that we, along with many million-dollar condo developments are leading the way to develop a stylish, safe and economically solid Brooklyn neighborhood much like the hotels above.

Regards,

Tim Anctil

Reviewed September 3, 2009

Though i usually stay in Manhattan, i stayed in Brooklyn recently to be closer to friends who live in the neighborhood. Hotel le bleu was a great find. it's sleek with a definitive euro feel to it--especially loved the beds. And i really do like the neighborhood. Low-key, walkable to restaurants, subway, etc. Definitely ask for an upper floor room with views of the city.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2009

Overall. I really loved Hotel Le Bleu. Here are the pros: VERY comfy bed, I wish I could have taken it home. Great views (I was on the 7th floor, looking out on the Manhattan side). Very nice welcome bucket with 2 water bottles, a box of chocolate chip cookies and a bag of salt/vinegar kettle chips. Downstairs staff were great and courteous. The bathrobes were also very nice and comfy. Cons: Although the room was clean and well stocked upon arrival, there were a few little things, like they threw out the half used hotel lotion and didn't replace it. Another member of our group complained that they didn't replace towels or empty trash. My guess is a call downstairs would have fixed these problems. I would also advise that you ask about using the shower. Sounds stupid, but it's kind-of complicated, especially if you want a hot shower. I neglected to ask until my last night, so I was taking tepid showers until then. My other small complaint was that I called to ask about ground transport from the airport (EWR) to the hotel. The receptionist had no clue. There are 3 airports that service the NYC area, seems the staff should be able to help with ground transport advice. There is a complimentary breakfast, which is nice, but it's nothing too exciting-- Costco (?) pastries and muffins. There are many great bakeries close by, too bad they don't use them for their breakfasts. The fruit bowls were excellent though.
This is a great location- very close to some excellent, affordable restaurants, delis and take-out places.

Reviewed August 19, 2009

This was my first trip to Brooklyn and NYC, and a local from Brooklyn recommended this hotel. I was a bit surprised at the location; it is in an industrial part of the city. The view was of a U-Haul, but we were told that they usually upgrade the view however all of their upgrades were done for the day. The room is nicely decorated and modern which appealed to me. The bed was extremely comfy, the tv was huge and I enjoyed all the channels available. The shower and bathroom area are unique, however they are set right by the bed which seemed a bit odd. I felt like I wasn't entirely comfortable with having the toilet right there, with only a glass door between the bed area and toilet area. I found it hard to get a nice hot shower as the water was hard to figure out, and once I did figure it out, the water was not really hot. Some other downsides I found were that the housekeeping was not the greatest. I don't think the room was vacuumed the whole 4 days we were there, I had left a small hand towel on the floor (obviously used) in the shower stall and it remained there the whole stay; toiletries were not replaced in the shower stall; and the room was not really soundproof as I could hear the neighbours voices and tv and sounds in the hallway. I enjoyed the comfortableness and plushness of the bed and pillows though, and the blue light up headboard was great too. The restaurant was open when I visited and it was nice (fresh fruit, yoghurt, croissants with jam and butter, and muffins and granola, coffee, tea and juice) This hotel is not far from subways and small variety stores and restaurants. Service in the hotel lobby was very friendly and efficient. Restaurant staff were helpful and pleasant too.
I would stay there again but would really try to get a better view.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2009

This hotel is awesome. I have been an off and on traveler to New York on a weekly basis since January of this year. So far I have stayed here for over 15 weeks and each week has been outstanding. There have been a few minor hiccups but the hotel staff has immediately corrected any and all issues without a moment of hesitation.

From the management to the housekeeping staff everyone is always welcoming and very helpful with helping in any way possible. The rooms are great and the bed makes me not want to go to work in the mornings. The 42" TV with the Bose surround system makes the nights away from the family a little more bearable.

The location is perfect. Close to the subway and to some awesome restaurants over on 5th Avenue and the Vue Restaurant that just opened last month on the top floor and rooftop is a must. I would recommend this hotel to the weary business traveller or a vacationer.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I'd stayed at this hotel over a year ago on business, when it was relatively new, and I'd had a great experience (and wrote a review to that effect). Unfortunately, a recent stay for leisure, in early July 2009, wasn't as impressive. While my stay wasn't a disaster, the hotel's quality has deteriorated.

The biggest problem was service. Prior to my stay, I had a very bad interaction on the phone with a customer service representative. I called to make an edit to my reservation. The reservation had been made under my name, with a friend's name also added to the reservation on the website. When I called, she couldn't find my reservation; when I gave her a confirmation number, and my credit card number, she refused to help me, insisting that the reservation didn't exist. When I gave her my friend's last name, she found it, but was then was extremely sarcastic with me for not giving that name in the first place (this is despite the reservation being under my name, made with my credit card, and me having the confirmation number). Her rudeness continued as I attempted to alter the reservation; she finally slammed down the phone. When I called back and asked to speak with a manager, she insisted that no manager was "on property." Skeptical of the claim that the hotel doesn't have a manager, I called back later that afternoon and indeed spoke with one (which means that, in addition to being rude, the employee was also a liar). While he edited the reservation (with ease, something that the rude employee had insisted wasn't possible), he was hardly apologetic -- the most he could muster was, "well, she's usually not like that," as if usually being polite is some kind of excuse for ever treating a guest rudely.

Upon check-in, the staff wasn't rude, but they also weren't hospitable. Worse yet, they gave off a sense of incompetence. Check-in took forever, and that was with 3 people working at the front desk (two appeared to be totally clueless while one took care of everything). I will say that the bellman was very nice.

I was struck, upon check-in, that the hotel's restaurant still wasn't open. I remember staying at this property over a year ago and being told that the restaurant was opening soon.

The room, while still very stylish, was only OK. There was a lot of dirt-in-the-corners kind of stuff that leads me to believe the hotel isn't being careful with its facilities. For instance, the wood paneling above the beds is now warped and peeling in places. The corners of the room's carpet were dirty. The elevators, which used to have gleaming white floors, now have kind of gray-ish tile because it's not being scrubbed. The shower had mildew in the corners. Some plastic on the lamps was chipped. The hotel used to provide complimentary snacks and water; they now have a mini-bar with the typical outlandish prices. (They do still deliver breakfast; it was good.)

We struggled with temperature control throughout the stay. It was one of those rooms where it was either totally freezing (when the air was on) or very hot (when it was off).

We could hear what our neighbor was watching on TV. It's hard to say if that's because the walls of the hotel were thin or if the Bose sound system is too powerful for the space. You also constantly hear the sounds of the other doors on the hallway slamming -- again, it's hard to tell if that's because of thin walls or because the doors are made of metal and slam shut automatically.

Alarmingly, the housekeeping service was awful. We were at the hotel for three nights, and on the first two nights, the housekeeper didn't replace our bath products or clean the sink and basin (which had, even on the first night, the hairs from a prior guest in it). The bed had been "made," if you calling moving the duvet back over the sheets making a bed. When we called to ask for new shampoo and soap on the third night, because we were out, we were told it would take housekeeping about 15 minutes to deliver them. After 30 minutes, I called the front desk. 15 minutes after that (so, 45 after the original request), there was a knock at the door. Then, without giving us time to answer the door, a housekeeper and her supervisor entered the room. The supervisor then proceeded to take the housekeeper on a tour of the room, showing her what was wrong. While I was glad to see the problems get addressed, is doing this in the middle of an occupied room the right forum? More problematic was that they STILL didn't bring the products! 15 minutes after the lecture, the housekeeper showed up, burst into the room (without ANY knock) and said "I'm here to clean!" -- at this point, I finally got fed up and told her to just leave some products and get out. To think that this entire hour-long saga resulted from a simple request to stock the room with soap (something that should happen anyway) is ridiculous.

Overall, this was a disappointing stay. While the hotel has potential with a Park Slope location and stylish design, unless it can start taking care of its facility and fix its service inconsistencies, I'd not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple