“A great alternative to pricey NYC hotels!”
Review of Hotel Le Bleu

Hotel Le Bleu
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed February 12, 2009

I should start by saying that I'm very familiar with Park Slope, the neighborhood in which Hotel Le Bleu is located, so even though it's on a less scenic avenue, I knew that great restaurants, bars, and shops were literally a 5 minute walk from the hotel. True, the scenery isn't beautiful, but for the value and the interior of the hotel, I thought it was perfect.

The first thing to mention is that the rates right now are under $200, which is excellent for NYC. Also, something that I didn't see in other reviews was that the parking is free. That's a complete rarity in New York City, so I think very worth mentioning. It saved us at least $40 that we would have had to pay in a garage. There are 14 spaces, and it's a 48 room hotel, but we had no problem.

When we checked in, the staff was friendly and courteous, and the bellman showed us to our room. I'm usually self-serve when it comes to taking luggage up, but he genuinely seemed to want to help us (of course we tipped him, but it was a pleasure). He gave us a guided tour of the room, showing us all of the amenities - most notably that everything in the mini bar was complimentary - there were snacks, water, juice, sodas...anything you could really want. The internet connection is free, too, and each room has a great flat screen and Direct TV that he offered to show us how to use.

Sure, the bathroom layout is a little weird - I was there with my husband, so it was fine. The shower is glass-enclosed and faces the room, but there's a curtain that you can pull around for complete privacy. The toilet is behind a frosted glass wall, so anyone in the room can't see anything, although it's less private than a traditional bathroom. I'd say for a newly dating couple or for colleagues it might not be private enough, but for anyone who's fairly comfortable, I really don't think it's a big deal. Just more like thin walls than anything else.

The bed was very comfortable, there was a little noise from other guests in the hallway in the morning, but nothing that you wouldn't experience in another hotel. The Bose ipod hookup was very nice as well. The room was sparkling clean, and there were even robes and slippers for us.

Just a few blocks away are great restaurants and bars, and the subway to Manhattan which only took us about 20 minutes to midtown.

Overall, a great stay - would never pay Manhattan prices again!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank phillytoboston
Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed December 16, 2008

Spent 3 nights in Brooklyn visiting relative.
Fine location for me, but 5 short blocks to subway,
F,R,N. Had king room in rear to avoid street noise.
Room was very clean, front desk was helpful.
Cold breakfast was adequate: yogurt, fruit,
hot/cold cereals, juice and coffee.
one night noisy neighbor playing stereo.
(Warning every room has Bose stero,
which can be a nuisance.)

discount rate, would stay again.

stan

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2008

I've read a few good a few bad reviews on this property. They all hold there points but really its a great hotel.
Staying in Brooklyn in an area that you want is always a little tricky. There are plenty of quick motels and Days Inn, but honestly people those are a few dollars less, and just because they host an international name, there still individually owned an operated. Beds and bathrooms are #1 to me, and some how those chain hotels always mess that up. It's either hair in the sheets or under the bath mat ewwwwwww
That's where Hotel le bleu wins. SPARKLING CLEAN! A+
We stay often, everytime were in Brooklyn, since we discovered it. We've probably been there about 5 times now, and each time they add something new to up the anty. True the 1st time we stayed our mini fridge only had 2 bottles of water, but being big water drinkers they were happy to bring us 4 more comp'd. we always ask for and extra robe and slippers before we arrive, (so soft, Frette I believe) The last time we stayed the fridge had all types of candies and snacks, a def plus for us as were late night arrivers. They have nice guest folders with info for people who don't know the area, and actually give some good recommendations! The spa facilitiy that they use and send there guests to is amazing. I probaly never would have discovered it if they had reccomended it to me. I'd recomend the chocolate souffle body scurb from there. You can't beat the view. I don't care if you can see the muffler place or u-haul... where in brooklyn can't you. and who considers the ground 5 stories down the view anyway. try looking up and over and catch the sunset over the beautiful manhattan skyline. AMAZING!
The beds are super comfortable and clean. duponi silk accents very nice touch!
Showers are nice and hot with alot of settings of those of you who had scolding showers or ice showers, you didn't know how to use your shower head. There temperature regulated. with an auto set of 100 deg. you can go higher or lower by just pressing a button. two shower heads in the walk-in shower a detachable hand held one and a large rain head one. perfect for those showers for two!!

I can't say enough. as I said we go here everytime. and we highly reccomend

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2008

Since we were leaving the next day on the Queen Mary from the Brooklyn terminal, and arriving from Canada by air, we booked into this hotel. We arrived long after midnight having missed lunch and dinner. The manager, Robert Gaeta, arranged for us to have 2 club sandwiches and a bottle of excellent wine in the minibar for our arrival as there is no restaurant as yet.
Rooms are very small though have beautiful, comfortable beds, and lovely bathrooms with walk-in showers.
The hotel arranged a chauffeur to take us to the Queen Mary at an incredibly low price including carrying the bags both from the hotel to his limousine and to the porters at the other end.
It suited us perfectly on this trip but others should note that it is in a very depressing area. The downstairs staff (one person) was not in the least helpful either when we arrived or when we left. We had to order breakfast sent in from a local restaurant which was both good and cheap. The porters were excellent both on arrival in the middle of the night and the next morning.
We hope they succeed!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2008

The early one-star reviews are ridiculous, but there are caveats here. This place will be a good choice for flexible travelers who want a no-frills, money-saving hotel in a neighborhood of real people of many colors and a poor choice for those who want a romantic, full-service hotel experience in a hermetically-sealed environment and don’t deal well with anomalies.

PROS:
1. Good money-saving alternative to Manhattan hotels. Easy walk to F train subway which goes straight to many prime Manhattan locations. Folks, IMHO, there is little difference in taking the subway from a mid-Manhattan hotel or taking the subway from this hotel. Spend an extra 10 minutes on the subway and save yourself $100+/night.
2. One block from many great restaurants (5th Ave.), beautiful Park Slope neighborhood, and Prospect Park.
3. Nice clean Euro-look room
4. The view. We had a 4th floor rear-facing room and had an expansive panoramic view of Brooklyn and Manhattan and yes, the U-Haul parking lot. Gritty, grimy, yet big and alive and dramatic. Not for everyone, though.
5. No-frills philosophy. Tiny lobby, one bellhop, pull into a free parking space and you’re done. You don’t get a lot of romance here but you don’t pay extra for it either.
6. Large Philips LCD TV and Bose sound-system
7. Nice bed, no noise in rear room, slept great (see warning below)
8. Nice people on the staff. Real people, not that phony fawning big hotel stuff. Not for everyone, though.
9. Free Internet. Plug in your computer and go. No charge, no fuss.
10. Free mini bar. A small thing that sets a good vibe for the place.

CONS:
1) We arrived in our room to the thumping sound of a nearby “disco”. Huh? Quickly deduced that the Bose sound systems have a large subwoofer and our neighbors were listening to music. They went to bed early, so no problem, but this has the potential for big trouble.
2) The open bathroom design is a huge mistake. This place is only for singles or couples who are very comfortable sharing their bathroom habits. Taking an early shower or going to the bathroom in the middle of the night will wake the other person.
3) Several minor technical glitches that indicate a lack of tight controls. No bath towels were in the room; the box of soap was empty; shower only had two temperatures: very hot or scalding, the tv channel system is a mess; nice high res tv but no high res signals; elevator has a mind of its own and card operation is dicey
4) Gritty street.
5) No adult supervision of staff, desk guy was a little too surly
6) Take that stupid tv out of the lobby, already!

OTHER:
1) The planned restaurant has obviously met with some roadblock. The Continental breakfast is housed in the utility room next to the boiler! Absurd, yes. Did I care, no. Again, not for everyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LarryInBrookline
Reviewed August 6, 2008

I live in Seattle Wa, and around there believe me you dont see these kind of hotels. I was a bit hesistant to stay at the lebleu but i took the chance and whoa! was my stay very heart warming. Since the hotel is pretty new no taxi from the airport knew how to get to the hotel . So i called in early since i had a red eye flight, and spoke to a young gentlemen who was nice enough to google directions from the airport to the hotel. I was tired hoping there was a room available ,the gentleman informed me the morning before that the hotel would be sold out the night before i arrived at the hotel. I was greeted by the bellman Troy. He was upbeat and very friendly very weird in nyc so early in the morning. At check in the front desk agent John was kind enough to find me a room and checked me in within seconds. After i went to the room i was surprised as how gorgeous the room was. Very Modern and stylish i threw myself to the bed and felt like i was sleeping on a cloud. After i got settled i took a shower in these very fascinating state of the art glass showers which to my amazment made me feel awake! I than called down for breakfast and the front desk agent had Troy bring me up a small yet delightful continental breakfast. On my way to a meeting i was lost trying to figure out the subway So i asked the both gentleman to help me out and they did. Was in work within minutes in the city. When arrived after work i wanted room service, and since the restaurant isnt open i called down and lucky enough i got the assistant GM Joseph who gave me a wonderful selections of food. and I ordered Bella Maria. Oh what a great stay! I will definitly come back with my son and husband to this warm guest frinedly hotel!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2008

I am a frequent traveler to New York City and I usally stay in one of the boutiques in Manhattan. However recently when my favorite boutique was sold out I had to settle for one that advertised itself as a new boutique in Soho. That was a nightmare. I had to search for other accommodations after one night. I finally settle on Hotel Le Bleu in Brooklyn, but with great hesitancy because of the mixed reviews here in Tripadvisors. First let me state, those past reviews that highlighted the shortcoming of this hotel, forget about them. I found none of the problems that was posted in those reviews. Check in was a breeze, done in less than five minutes. I was welcome like an old friend by Joseph when he checked me in. When Angel, the bellman escorted me to my room, I was literally blown away by the room. First it is one of the biggest I have ever stayed in New York, compare to some of the others in Manhattan. I was in room 706 and this room was spotless. The king size bed is one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The shower and bathroom was really spotless, especially the glass enclosed shower. It was so spotless that you would not think there was a glass wall there. But the best part of the stay was the staff, especially, Joseph (who I found out later is the assistant GM), Jeanie, Asaya and Angel. Joseph was easy to talk to. In our conversations not only did he gave me some great choices of restaurants to dine in Park Slope and Tribeca, he made me feel welcomed. It was like having conversation with an old friend. Jeanie and Asaya is two young ladies with the sweetest dispositions. Their smiles and warm greetings everytime make me feels like I am at home instead of a hotel. Keep smiling Jeanie and Asaya. And Angel is one of the friendliest bellman I have encounter, alway ready to help or offer a cold bottle of water on a hot humid day. My mind about Brooklyn before was why bother, but after my stay at Hotel Le Bleu, I am definitely coming back. Its location making traveling to Manhattan a breeze. The huge plush rooms is a great surprise. But the one that keeps you coming back is the staff, very friendly and accommodating. I'll be back -:)))

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business