“Housekeeping issues”

Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Kittery Point, Maine
“Housekeeping issues”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Le Bleu for ease of use, parking, slower pace and neighborhood feel. Unfortunately there really aren't many choices as far as places to stay. When we arrived we were told that they didn't have a king room so we would be in a double. We didn't notice the lack cleanliness at first because we had to leave for an event directly after we arrived and by the time we returned it was midnight. Our room was on the street side of the hotel so was very loud early in the morning. On top of that it was really dirty which we hadn't noticed the when we checked in because we had to leave for an event directly after we arrived and by the time we returned it was midnight. However in the morning we saw that the curtain had a large greasy stain, the rug was stained in many places, the shower had a lot of mold and the opaque sliding glass door to the commode area had greasy finger prints all over it. In one corner I saw what looked to be someone's medication; clearly the room had not been well vacuumed. The housekeeping was so bad I questioned whether the sheets were changed between guests. We called the front desk and asked to be moved due to the noise, the double beds and the dirty room. The front desk agreed to move us to a king room on the back of the hotel. When I went to the lobby I talked with a gentleman about the lack of cleanliness in our first room. He expressed surprise and actually seemed to question if it was true. I asked if he wanted to see photos but he declined. It didn't seem that anyone was going to address the situation as far as making sure the room was properly cleaned. Amazingly our new room was lovely and clean; it was as if we were in a different hotel entirely, it was that different. I now see why the reviews of Hotel Le Bleu vary so wildly and why some people love it and others complain about it being dirty. After giving some thought about the disparity between the rooms the only thing I can think of that might explain it is that the double rooms may attract people who are in the area for MLBB games or concerts at Barclays Center and so are more likely to be partying while the king rooms might attract couples looking for a quieter, more romantic getaway…just a guess.
The other thing to consider about the rooms is that the commode area is not entirely private because it's the glass is opaque so you can actually see the person who is using the bathroom sitting on the commode, in silhouette. Unless you are really close with the person/people you are staying with I would expect most people might find this uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Hard to rate this because the two rooms differed so much. I would rate the first a 2 star and our se...
1 Thank peaceandsun
hotellebleu_gm, Manager at Hotel Le Bleu, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback about Hotel Le Bleu. We are extremely sorry to hear that your experience was less than excellent. We strive to deliver excellent service that is both warm and relaxed. All feedback is necessary for us to continue to improve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed there in October and the rooms are very nice, ultra modern. The women at the front desk were very nice and helpful. Although we live nearby the hotel, we need to get out of our apartment for a night while our floors are being sanded. We were told on our first stay that we would get 10% off our next stay. I called at around 12:30 AM (night of Dec. 1 or morning of Dec. 2nd) to book a room with a King bed; I did not need the terrace, and so took the slightly less expensive version arriving Dec. 3. So far so good; reservation was made by Henry. When I got the email confirmation, it had me arriving Dec. 1 and checking out Dec. 2- the wrong dates. I called right back and spoke with Harold. He corrected the date and sent me the same confirmation number with the correct dates. A few minutes later, Harold calls me back and tells me that room is sold out, and would I like the next higher room at $10 more. I had little choice and took it. Now, I could have booked this for less at several travel sites, but the hotel asked me to call them directly to get the repeat customer discount. It's not the $10 that matters; it's that the incompetence and aggravation is not worth my booking directly through them ever again. And it still would have been cheaper through a travel site. The rates are lower and the hotels must pay them a percentage, so it would have made far more business sense for the hotel to keep my price the same as the original reservation for the room with a terrace, which I didn't need anyway and made this clear on my first call.

Room Tip: If you call for reservations, try to get one of the women on the phone. The men seem a little less...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Chevy Chase, MD
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a night at the Hotel Le Bleu. I agree with other strongly positive reviews. Our room was comfortable, extremely modern and beautifully decorated--not at all a typical hotel. Very helpful staff. We have family in the Park Slope area of Brooklyn, so the location of the Hotel Le Bleu was convenient. Also enjoyable--the continental breakfast that was delivered to our room at the time we requested.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
hotellebleu_gm, Manager at Hotel Le Bleu, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about Hotel Le Bleu. We work very hard to deliver excellent service that is both warm and relaxed every day, for every guest, every stay. Your feedback makes it all worth it.
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed November 23, 2013

In town for the NYC Marathon, this was my second stay at hotel le bleu. Overall, during this and my previous stay, I found the experience to be outstanding. The guest rooms are clean, well-maintained, and reasonably priced. However, the friendly, courteous, and helpful staff are really what sets this hotel apart from others in which I’ve stayed. Everyone - Melissa, Tarek, Amanda, Edes, Deisha, Henry, Audrey, Jonathan, Jeff and Erald – made me feel like a welcome “guest” and not just another “customer.” They even even went so far as to recommend the best take-out pizza after I completed the Marathon! I grew up right up the street from hotel le bleu on 3rd Street between 5th and 6th Avenues and, even though I moved away and it’s been many years since I’ve been “home,” it’s great to see such a quality place to stay right there in the old neighborhood.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bklyn0302
New Hampshire
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We wanted to stay in Brooklyn as close to my girlfriend's family as possible. Hotel Le Bleu was suggested to us but looking at its location on Google street level, we explored every other possibility. Deciding to "just get through it", we resigned ourselves to this hotel. It's not in a "bad" neighborhood, but right next to U-Haul, taxi main terminal and other semi-industrial neighbors.

The opinion turnaround began at the check-in counter. Very friendly and helpful staff. Then we sorta chuckled in the blue-light elevator as it rose to the second floor. The elevator was spotless as was the hallway to our room. We opened the door and "whoa!" Somebody knows how to make brilliant use of every square inch of what would normally feel like one small room.

The shower was huge, but instead of walls, they used floor-to-ceiling glass on more than two sides. Brilliant idea, and very refreshing for the shower-er and shower-ee. Privacy was insured with an external curtain that could be easily moved to cover all of the glass. Even the toilet was enclosed with glass… frosted, of course.

The entire room was modern clean design, but not "industrial" or "cold". The huge LG TV had a great picture, and would you believe they even had a Bose sound system. Two bottles of water and a bag of snacks were complementary! The closet door was faced with a full length mirror and was constructed like a top line refrigerator door. The bed was so comfortable, we wanted to stay another night just for that. Everything worked, everything was spotless, and I could go on about how great this place was.

The only "con" was the non-view.

Oh… and about the location… it's just two short blocks up a beautiful residential street to lots of great restaurants, shops and a wonderful "real" neighborhood where families are out walking.

Loved it!

1 Thank gaia_orb
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is a lovely boutique hotel with hi-tech rooms, glass-enclosed toilet and shower, and an overall spacious room with a small balcony. If you are on a high floor, which we weren't, there is a magnificent view. The staff was fine. The boxed breakfasts were basic continental and delivered on time. The room is extremely comfortable.
The hotel is just on the "other side" of 4th avenue, and once you walk towards 5th avenue you are in the middle of Park Slope which is completely delightful. The free parking and free wifi were much appreciated. The room rate is pricey but so is Brooklyn these days...

Room Tip: high floor facing west gives you a view from the Statue of Liberty, new World Trade Center, to Willi...
1 Thank naomi_steinberger
hotellebleu_gm, Manager at Hotel Le Bleu, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Good day Naomi_Steinberger,

Regards,
HLB
Brookline, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is a very unique hotel, modeled more after some of the european hotels. I needed a room urgently to be with my daughter after her foot surgery. The entire staff (day and night) went out of their way to accomodate us. The day staff Amanda, Henry, Edes, Jonathan, and Melissa worked hard along with the Evan and John from the management to find us a suitable room after the surgery and moved us into the new room with much compassion, caring and devoting much attention to every detail. When we returned to the room in the middle of the night the night staff Audrey and Jeff helped us with utmost care and got us everything from ice to pillows to finding a wheel chair and got us upto our room in the most comfortable way one could possibly do.Everyone responded to our needs in the most compassionate manner. We just had to press "0" on the phone and the help came within minutes. They even moved the phone in a jack near the bed so that my daughter could access it readily. The morning breakfast was delivered in the most efficient manner. The Day staff arranged for cars/cabs at any time of the day. These people were just unbelievably helpful, cheerful and caring. If I visit Brooklyn again, this is where I am staying.

Room Tip: View to choose Msnattan versus Brooklyn.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Romila2013
Good day Romila2013,

We couldn't have said it better! Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and instantly get to know our entire hotel, staff and accommodations like their own home. We strive to provide accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest. Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.

Regards,