“Not as bad as you think” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Le Bleu

Hotel Le Bleu
Ranked #13 of 70 Hotels in Brooklyn
jordan23
“Not as bad as you think”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

I live in Seattle Wa, and around there believe me you dont see these kind of hotels. I was a bit hesistant to stay at the lebleu but i took the chance and whoa! was my stay very heart warming. Since the hotel is pretty new no taxi from the airport knew how to get to the hotel . So i called in early since i had a red eye flight, and spoke to a young gentlemen who was nice enough to google directions from the airport to the hotel. I was tired hoping there was a room available ,the gentleman informed me the morning before that the hotel would be sold out the night before i arrived at the hotel. I was greeted by the bellman Troy. He was upbeat and very friendly very weird in nyc so early in the morning. At check in the front desk agent John was kind enough to find me a room and checked me in within seconds. After i went to the room i was surprised as how gorgeous the room was. Very Modern and stylish i threw myself to the bed and felt like i was sleeping on a cloud. After i got settled i took a shower in these very fascinating state of the art glass showers which to my amazment made me feel awake! I than called down for breakfast and the front desk agent had Troy bring me up a small yet delightful continental breakfast. On my way to a meeting i was lost trying to figure out the subway So i asked the both gentleman to help me out and they did. Was in work within minutes in the city. When arrived after work i wanted room service, and since the restaurant isnt open i called down and lucky enough i got the assistant GM Joseph who gave me a wonderful selections of food. and I ordered Bella Maria. Oh what a great stay! I will definitly come back with my son and husband to this warm guest frinedly hotel!

• Liked — Guest Freindly
  • Disliked — Restaurant
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Turkish first
lake forest, il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2008

I am a frequent traveler to New York City and I usally stay in one of the boutiques in Manhattan. However recently when my favorite boutique was sold out I had to settle for one that advertised itself as a new boutique in Soho. That was a nightmare. I had to search for other accommodations after one night. I finally settle on Hotel Le Bleu in Brooklyn, but with great hesitancy because of the mixed reviews here in Tripadvisors. First let me state, those past reviews that highlighted the shortcoming of this hotel, forget about them. I found none of the problems that was posted in those reviews. Check in was a breeze, done in less than five minutes. I was welcome like an old friend by Joseph when he checked me in. When Angel, the bellman escorted me to my room, I was literally blown away by the room. First it is one of the biggest I have ever stayed in New York, compare to some of the others in Manhattan. I was in room 706 and this room was spotless. The king size bed is one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The shower and bathroom was really spotless, especially the glass enclosed shower. It was so spotless that you would not think there was a glass wall there. But the best part of the stay was the staff, especially, Joseph (who I found out later is the assistant GM), Jeanie, Asaya and Angel. Joseph was easy to talk to. In our conversations not only did he gave me some great choices of restaurants to dine in Park Slope and Tribeca, he made me feel welcomed. It was like having conversation with an old friend. Jeanie and Asaya is two young ladies with the sweetest dispositions. Their smiles and warm greetings everytime make me feels like I am at home instead of a hotel. Keep smiling Jeanie and Asaya. And Angel is one of the friendliest bellman I have encounter, alway ready to help or offer a cold bottle of water on a hot humid day. My mind about Brooklyn before was why bother, but after my stay at Hotel Le Bleu, I am definitely coming back. Its location making traveling to Manhattan a breeze. The huge plush rooms is a great surprise. But the one that keeps you coming back is the staff, very friendly and accommodating. I'll be back -:)))

• Liked — plush modern with the most comfortable bed
  • Disliked — no complains
1 Thank syfong
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2008

I've gotta say, the reviews of this hotel aren't so great but when I walked into the room, I was pretty blown away. The room is large and modern with all ultra high end amenities, bedding, etc. There really is NOTHING wrong with the room. For the price, this place is very reasonable and I will definitely stay here again when business brings me back to Brooklyn.

The area right outside of the hotel is only so-so as there is a grimey cabstand next door and another questionable business on the other side. But, if you walk up to 5th Ave., there are some nice restaurants. If you want a gorgeous room at a decent price, this is your place.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — location
1 Thank bethanyc
Cali
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2008

New hotel. Key card machine broken. The first night we didn't even have a room key; bellman had to keep letting us in and out of our room. When booked, info was restaurant was opening; no it was not and nothing available in the immediate area. Front desk staff kept trying to call manager; would not return their calls. Very, VERY, dissatisfied. Will never stay here again. Waste of money. Only stayed here because was fairly close to family we were visiting. You have been warned.

• Liked — clean and new
  • Disliked — literally everything that has to do with the least bit of service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank surferdocCali
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

I loooove visiting New York...I visit between two and three times a year.

I love traveling nationally and normally travel alone, but this time I cajoled a friend into going with me and we stayed in Brooklyn and I loved it!

I was always hesitant to come to Brooklyn, but oh my gosh, if only everyone knew what a hidden jewel it is!

We arrived around 6:30pm in the eveningand the staff were friendly, very accomodating and check in was a breeze. Although the rooms were a bit small, they were very cozy and they appear just how they look on the hotel's website.

We stayed in a room facing the Statue of Liberty - such a beautiful view. The hotel is in an area being developed and all the restaurants and shopping were a block away on Fifth Avenue...we walked up to Seventh Avenue and found even more restaurants and shopping.....there were restaurants of all cuisine types and shops for every room in your home....amazing! And people were sooooo friendly.

I love Italian and we ate at a great restaurant called Sotte Voce...
highly recommended!

In one of the stores we found a postcard for a Picnic Day Out from a company called All About Brooklyn Concierge. Wow, we purchased a very chic wicker picnic basket on their website and picked it up from a place called Stinky Brooklyn. But what was more neat was that it was filled with meats and cheese, crackers a cool bottle of jam, pickles and a bottle of wine! And everything was soooo good. We chose the Italian Deluxe, but other cuisines were available. I definitely recommend anyone who loves picnics to experience what I did!

I never knew Brooklyn had sooo many great things to do...and there's also a huuuge park where we had our picnic. We also did canoeing there. It think it's called Prospect Park.

There are so many bars and lounges to hang out it. We barhopped a bit on Fifth Avenue and met sooo many cool people at Bar 4 and Excelsior which had the coolest outdoor deck. Although there's not too much activity right near the hotel, we felt very safe walking around and when we walked back to the hotel.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here and would definitely be back! Brooklyn is sooo cool and everyone that hasn't visited is definitely missing out!

• Liked — The rooms were so modern and sleek
  • Disliked — I didn't dislike anything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank gallovestotravel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2008

I have now stayed here on two different occasions. If you need to stay in Brooklyn, this hotel is fairly convenient with a location near the subway (F, M, R - 4 Ave stop). I flew into JFK and took the airtrain/subway to the stop nearest the hotel (approx. 1 hr train ride but only $7.00), which was also a plus. The hotel is located on 4th Ave, which is more commercial/industrial but one block over on 5th Ave are numerous shops and restaurants. Further east is 7th Ave with an even better selection of restaurants, bars, and shops. And Prospect Park is not too much further east from 7th.

As stated in previous reviews, the rooms are Euro-chic but spacious enough. I would recommend the upgrade to a room with a balcony but make sure if you do this, you ask for the side with a view of the statue. Yes, you can actually see the Statue of Liberty a ways off from one side of the hotel (unfortunately, you also see a UHaul center but just look straight and not down). The rooms are modern with unique bathroom features. My first stay, I had a room with a shower that “protrudes” into the room and is fully glass enclosed. Yes, you can see in but there is a curtain that could be wrapped around the glass shower enclosure. The sink is by the bed and then the toilet is in another glass enclosed room (but opaque glass for this enclosure). Modest travelers may be uncomfortable with this but it is very unique none the less. My second stay, I had a similar room but the shower, toilet, and sink were all in an opaque glass enclosure. I didn’t like this arrangement as much because the shower was open to the rest of the bathroom (no curtain or wall) so when taking a shower, water could and did splash to other parts of the bathroom. The water was supposed to drain near the shower but it actually pooled somewhat near the toilet and I had to use a towel on the floor to mop up the splash over from my shower. Not the best arrangement, in my opinion. Again, if you don’t want this, ask for the first type of bathroom setup I described.

Other than the unusual bathrooms, the room itself is nice with a 42” plasma on the wall, dimmer switches on the lights, an iPod capable alarm, a refrigerator, coffee maker, iron, hairdryer, etc. The bed is comfortable and well stocked with pillows. The staff are all friendly and helpful. Negatives are the somewhat thin walls and city noise (but not as bad as the noise when staying in Manhattan). If you drive in, there is a small parking lot in front of the hotel (not sure if there is a parking fee). Cabs aren’t nearly as plentiful as on the island but the hotel can get you one pretty quickly.

The hotel restaurant is still not finished (as of mid May) so if you book here be prepared to walk a few blocks for food (again, many decent places to eat an avenue or more over). There is a continental breakfast in the mornings but not much room to sit and eat - I ended up walking to a close by bagel shop instead for a much better breakfast.

Overall, both my stays were enjoyable and good for my visit to see my son, who lives in Brooklyn. It is on the edge of Park Slope, which to me is a nice part of Brooklyn. If you don’t mind a 30-40 min subway ride into lower Manhattan (including walking to the station and waiting for trains), then this hotel would be suitable for NYC tourists.

• Liked — Location in Brooklyn
  • Disliked — Location from Manhattan
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo