“A great addition to the Carroll Gardens food scene”
Review of Dover

Dover
Ranked #702 of 5,583 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Let me begin with the great: the food. Excellent selection and creative pairings of food and spice. That alone makes this a destination. We could see that there is a plan for an outdoor space -- which on a summer eve would be lovely. However, I have two concerns: the noise and the pricing.
The noise level is almost painful -- with brick and wood walls and hard floors, the echos and the din make conversation around a larger table difficult at best. Further, like Saul, these are Manhattan prices in Brooklyn. And while have loved the food, I felt it was pricey for the atmosphere and neighborhood feel. I dont mind the prices at Picholine, as elegance and crisp service goes a long way. But in a room that feels "down-home" and the noise of a rambunctious family gathering, even with great food, the pricing should be moderated.
I am sure that we will return, and we would be interested in the tasting menu, but I will seek an off hour in the hopes of enjoying this wonderful food in a more peaceful environment.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

An outstanding addition to the Brooklyn dining scene. Food was fresh and inventive. We went a la carte, and there's much to choose from. Next time, the tasting menu.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

My wife and I read about Dover in the NY Times, and when we visited my nephew, who lives in Brooklyn, we discovered that Dover is just down the street from his home and that he and his wife had been looking forward to trying it. It is now one of my two favorite restaurants in NY (the other is The Modern at MOMA). Wow! The restaurant itself is extremely attractive and comfortable - just feels nice to be there. That feeling is supported by a level of warm and attentive service that is at least as good as I have ever experienced before, and I take the dining experience seriously. The food was magnificent, including some of the most wonderful amuses bouche (yes that's plural) that we have ever had. I had the broiled oysters with Sauce Choron and the octopus with butter beans and chorizo. Both wonderful. Others had the winter salad, cod Grenobloise, and hangar steak. Everyone was, uniformly delighted with the entire dining experience.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Four of us went, foodies all of us, and we were delighted by the sophisticated tastes, savory treats, layered, nuanced creations, lots of surprises - just wonderful. And not insanely expensive for the value!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife and I had five different dishes, two different draft beers, and one glass of wine. The dishes were complex but remained in the realm of real food. You have the impression of chef who is doing something original without trying to make a culinary statement. The drinks menu, from our small sample, is excellent. The service is attentive.