“Last of it's kind !!!”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Growing up in Brooklyn there were dozens of Kosher Delis to choose from. Times have changed, so did the neighborhoods, but Jay & Lloyds remains one of the last of it's kind. Simply put, this place is like what I remember growing up in Brooklyn. Starting with the coleslaw and pickles as the starter, to the matzoh ball & mushroom barley soups, corned beef, pastrami, potato & kasha knishes and a variety of other sides, they have it all. The ambience is what you would expect, which is all part of the "kosher deli" experience. The food is great and the service is attentive. The portions are generous and after soup, a piled high sandwich and a kasha knish all washed down with a Dr. Brown's cream soda, you will walk away stuffed. We return over and over again and will continue to do so. They are the last of a dying breed, and I hope they stay around for a long, long time.

1  Thank Panda6198

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Anthony Bourdain ended his renowned show No Reservations right here at Jay & Lloyd's. Not at a trendy Williamsburg eatery, or a world-famous historical hot dog joint. A kosher deli set in a sleepy neighborhood of Brooklyn that makes some of the best deli food you'll ever eat.

Growing up in Brooklyn, I had a lot of Jewish delicatessen in my time. The pastrami, brisket sandwiches, knishes both square and round, the sourest pickles you'll find in the country. Jay & Lloyd's is a deli of a dying breed, one that's being taken over by trend and kitsch. There's no "hook" to be had here: just fantastic sandwiches, soups, and Jewish delicacies like your bubby used to make.

I last came here with my boyfriend and parents, and we all ordered pastrami sandwiches and knishes with Dr. Brown's Cream Soda, because really, what else would you order here? The pastrami on rye was that deep, almost unnatural red, with spice around the edges but not too much, and as moist as the day is long. Knishes were square-style, which some people claim aren't real knishes, and while I've had better, nothing complements a good pastrami sandwich better. The moment we ordered the waitress gave us a plate of cole slaw and sour pickles--the authentic sour pickles that have lost almost all their original green tinge to the brine. THAT'S the way you eat a pickle!

The walls are covered with the articles and accolades J&L has accumulated over the years, including all the press Bourdain gave them. I'm actually rather surprised not to see more reviews on this place since that airing.

2  Thank honestyseasy
Reviewed January 4, 2014

There is nothing like good Kosher pastrami...not Montreal smoked meat, not Carnegie or Katz's which are both NOT Kosher. Nobody does it better than Jay & Lloyd's. Every time we eat there, we must get more Pastrami as well as home made Corned Beef to take out . We also must bring home their terrific Baked Round Potato Knishes as well as their fabulous soups. Jay and Lloyd circling the dining room to make sure you are enjoying your meal adds to the warmth of this special place.

1  Thank Cindy M
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Was visiting my daughter in Brooklyn over the holidays and was craving true deli food. The knishes are from heaven and so is the pastrami. My daughter had a veggie burger and said it was delicious. We topped all this off with a Dr Browns. I enjoyed it so much that we made a return visit. I had to have another knish and had to have a frank with sauerkraut and mustard. It was heaven. I can't say enough about the service. Our waiter was fast and efficient. Don't miss a visit to this wonderful deli if you come to Brooklyn.

1  Thank cherryames1949
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is the second best deli in Brooklyn . There are very few authentic delis still in Brooklyn ,this is one.