“Never Again.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Pane e Vino

Pane e Vino
Reserve with OpenTable
Pane e Vino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #586 of 5,320 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: F and G trains to Bergen Street.
Brooklyn, NY
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never Again.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

:( I used to live in the neighborhood and this place was my go to spot for picking up food while studying for the bar exam. Pretty yummy when you are too lazy to cook. (I was judged by a woman at Pathmark for picking up lean cuisines during bar study!) I have also eaten here several times with my bf. The food was always a decent 3.5. The patio area in the back is a cute spot for dinner or brunch. Perfect for walking around the corner and getting a bite to eat.

On our most recent visit, the service was okay (during the meal), food was fine, but somehow, our party of 2 was charged an automatic gratuity of 17%. All of a sudden no one was coming to our table. Finally I had to flag someone down to bring up the issue. I have been here several times with our bill approaching/over $100 for just the two of us (we like to eat!) - this has never happened previously. I questioned the charge and they offered to take it off, but it really made me wonder was this charge added to our check because of our minority status? I voiced my thoughts to the man who came over to address the issue. All I got was a blank look. No acknowledgment of what I said at all. He told us that when the bill goes over $100, the system automatically adds a 17% gratuity. What? How does this make sense? I could see, for parties over 6 or something but this was not the case. I mentioned that the bill did not go over $100 (it was $90 something) :: Crickets:: Hello!! Is anyone home? Is anything going on upstairs? Maybe I am naive but something like this has never happened to me before. Ruined the evening (for me at least - my bf was somewhat amused that I had never been treated this way. somehow this became a "learning experience" .) We tip anywhere from 20-30% depending on the service. We left the 17% gratuity on the check, paid, and left. I would never return here. It felt like a slap in the face. I don't know, it gave me a reality check. You can have education or money or whatever else but some people will always look down on you no matter what. Disappointed with the charge, the response, just everything.

• Visited December 2011

Horseshoe Bay, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“In my top three ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

I have never felt more welcomed and treated to a wonderful Italian meal. Our waiter treated me like his brother and I even spent some time with the owner. The prices, the atmosphere and the experience is one I will tell my grandchildren about.

Visited November 2011
Austin,tx
“Great food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2011

Had a large party. Food was delicious and the service great. Very good prices anf

Visited November 2011
brooklyn, ny
“Rustic, warm and inviting.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

Very romantic setting, candlelit and comforting, with a lovely covered back garden. The food is nicely prepared in generous portions. Ducked in to escape the rain, but will certainly come back again.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Good overall.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

Six business associates visited Pane e Vino on Monday evening for dinner. We were going to sit in the garden area out back, which looked really nice, but it was a bit too humid that evening. Inside was a little better, but we would have been much more comfortable had it been about 10 degrees cooler. Half way into our meal we discovered that an air conditioning vent overhead had been dripping down on our table, fortunately missing the plates. We started our meal with some over-salty Potenta with sauteed mushrooms, a dish of a brie like cheese with some nothing-special tomato slices, and generous slices of bruschetta. Bread basket, served with our meal was not bad but again, far from the best. The wine, an Italian Cabernet was not bad, but nothing to write home about. The menu seemed like a cross between Italian and Spanish with a number of Pollo dishes. I had a very nice fettucine with meat sauce, although I prefer angel hair pasta, which was not offered. Others had the Grilled Salmon over salad greens, a steak with mashed potatoes and cooked spinach, and Spaghetti with marinara. The desserts were nice. I enjoyed the homemade apple strudel with vanilla ice cream, and others were happy with the cappuccino. They automatically tacked on an 18% gratuity to the bill which without the wine came to $216 for six.

• Visited September 2011