“Wonderful food, attentive and friendly staff, great night out.”
Review of Applewood - CLOSED

Applewood
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Been to Applewood four times and I thought that I should write a review. Each time I have visited, I have always had a wonderful evening. The staff is friendly and the decor is simple yet cozy. You start with (MY FAV) some breads served with different types of spread (Always wonderful) and then your order your foods. The menu changes with availability and seasons. I have yet to have a dish I haven't liked. I am not a sausage fan but I tried their homemade sausage from their brunch and LOVED it. Don't get me started with their wonderful desserts. You leave full and happy. Oh..fun and always an unexpected treat, the chef will send out a small plate, with his compliments of some wonderful tidbit to try. I had a panna cotta today that was to die for. I can't wait to visit again! Don't recommend for families with children and please get reservations because it is a cozy (tiny) restaurant.

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I live in brooklyn and like to eat out a lot, but this is my favorite place to eat. I really like the style of cooking, focus on ingredients, and atmosphere of applewood. It is one of the more consistent places that i like to come back to on a regular basis, for brunch or dinner. It is not very glitsy, touristy, or hipsterish, which i do not mind at all. Gets loud inside, and can be a little cramped, but service is fine. Hope they continue to prosper for a long time.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is a high level restaurant that prides itself on fresh ingredients -- some from its own farm in upstate NY. That is all well&good and the ingredients did seem to be very good but the preparation feel short. Specifically most of the food we had was oversalted -- in particular the pork belly was in a broth or polenta (forget which) that was oversalted to the point of inedibility -- this i returned. The next dish was only mildly oversalted. Overall the meal was good but not great and somewhat overpriced considering its location in park slope.

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Can't really say too much good about the quality of the food and service here. We opened with a delicious artisanal cheese plate and sautéed Nantucket Bay scallops with a nicely balanced Bandidi Chianti. Vermont pork, quinoa croquettes and their own cured pastrami and home-canned peaches filled out the meal exquisitely. The roaring fireplace rounded out a wonderful snowy evening.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have been to Brooklyn over 10 times and eaten at many fine restaurants. But I must say that Applewood is something special. Small place, simple decor, great service. Delicious menu that constantly changes. Local and organic foods freshly prepared. From small plates, to dinners, deserts, and specialty drinks Applewood does it all well. Our meal there was memorable. The portion size might leave big eaters a bit disappointed. But the flavors and preparations are truly unique. If in Park Slope I would highly recommend giving Applewood a try.