“Just right, my favorite place in park slope...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
NYC
“Just right, my favorite place in park slope...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

Food is simply prepared, with quality ingredients, not fussy, reasonably priced by nyc standards, and in a charming location/venu. My favorite restaurant in p.s., maybe brooklyn...

“Good not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

Let me say first that one of the top 5 meals I’ve ever had in my life was at Applewood. It was venison, something I’ve never been particularly fond of, and it was TO DIE FOR. I’ve also had one of my worst dining experiences at Applewood when we ordered some oysters that were clearly bad (they tasted like dishwashing detergent) and were treated in a very condescending way by the waitress. We had to actually fight with her to get her to take them back. She implied that we didn’t know what oysters should taste like even though one of the people we were eating with owned a restaurant that … served oysters. All in all, it’s a somewhat dependable (and expensive) restaurant that makes good use of local ingredients. The entrees run on the small to very small side, so don’t go there if you’re starving. The brunches are a great value but there’s normally a long wait. If you do get in, I recommend their bloody mary’s with beer chasers.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MattRMan
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our "special occasion" place- great every time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

I first took my now-husband here for his birthday in 2006. It was his first visit also and we've been back tons since. Front of the house is run by the wife and back of the house by the husband. The food is amazing and regionally sourced. They even have a "meet the farmer" night monthly where you can interact in a private event with one of their suppliers. Lovely business, amazingly fresh farm-to-table food, great to support them in the neighborhood! It's an investment, so it's our special occasion spot, but we always look forward to it!

• Visited July 2011
Brooklyn, New York
“Great for a special occasion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

The food is organic, local and seasonal. The prices are high and the portions are on the small side, but the food is beyond extraordinary. I've never felt like I didn't get my money's worth. I wouldn't go there on a regular basis, but it is my first choice for a special occasions/dates.

Also, great selection of drinks, and wonderful bartenders.

• Visited December 2010
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Food tasted like a bad diner food with the price tag of high end park slope cheat with organic tag on it. Even their...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2009

Food tasted like a bad diner food with the price tag of high end park slope cheat with organic tag on it. Even their earl grey tea was as tasteless as bland water.

13 Thank ijakopen