“Hotel ok, Neighborhood not so much”

Comfort Inn Brooklyn City Center
Ranked #53 of 72 Hotels in Brooklyn
Reviewed July 23, 2008

The hotel itself was ok. The rooms were small but clean & staff was helpful, but not overly friendly. Free breakfast was a bonus but its just your usual continental breakfast of bagels, cereal, etc... nothing fancy. The parking lot was very small with very tight spaces but there is some parking on the street in front of the hotel. Now on to the negatives: there were traps in the parking lot of the hotel - don't know if they have a problem with mice or roaches but it was a little offputting. Also you have to worry about a hotel that has signs posted to "park at your own risk", gives you a list of safety guidelines for staying at the hotel in the welcome packet, and as noted in another review, has bullet-proof glass between you and the receptionist. Let me just say, I live in the DC/Baltimore metro area and am very familiar with big cities. That said, this area of Brooklyn is not the safest. We felt uncomfortable enough in the neighborhood that we didn't leave the hotel room at night, not even to eat. This was just a precaution, mind you - no one bothered us while there but just for our own peace of mind, we made sure we ate before we got back to the hotel because frankly we would not have felt safe walking around the area at night. All in all, you get what you pay for. It's cheaper because its not in a great neighborhood & it's not really convenient to anything. The subway is a few blocks away in a neighborhood that you might not want to walk around in. While it was an overall ok experience, we will not be staying there again when we visit Brooklyn.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Brooklyn City Center

Reviewed June 18, 2008

This little hotel is in mid-Brooklyn. It's a 15 minute subway ride from Manhattan. When I booked this, I was a little apprehensive (born and raised in Brooklyn, but now live in the burbs), but I was familiar with the area. The hotel was a 10 minute walk (or 5 minute) bus ride from the subway. Plenty of little shops along the way (Utica Ave is a bustling shopping venue.) The hotel was clean and the staff was very polite and helpful. There is a White Castle's Hamburger restaurant nearby, a 24-hour Diner (Mike's) across the street, and a 24-hour drugstore a block away. They also have a Business Center with a computer with Internet for your convenience in the lobby. Don't be put off by location -- It's a New York City bargain! I was there for business travel to NY and it worked out great! There were several other business travelers and European tourists there during my stay who also clearly found it an economical alternative to a more expensive Manhattan option. In that case, you pay a premium (up to $150-200 more a night) just to avoid a short subway ride. Book your room in this hotel and save your money for doing fun NYC things like seeing shows and shopping!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 8, 2008

Disclaimer: I am a reformed brooklynite and a flag-carrying member of the West Indian Community. That being said, I've been away from Brooklyn a long time and avoid going back too often due to the small rooms, even smaller bathrooms, and small stairwells. But funerals have a way of forcing you to put aside a lot of personal preferences.

The reviews of prior guests were really helpful and kept my expectations in check. Utica Avenue is not for the meek, but the hotel stands out due to its size and the hotel sign. Parking was as described, but we had a disability decal and the disabled spot was always available, albiet the same size as the other spots. We had to pull in halfway and unload my mother's wheelchair before parking the car. This is not a complaint though, because it was the only location where we found a parking spot designated for the disabled.

The staff was personable, and one staff member (not the bell boy, but the manager(?)) graciously loaded our bags unto the cart even though we weren't expecting it. The rooms were as described: small. It felt smaller because we had a wheelchair but did not want a wheelchair accessible room because they were four of us. (Wheelchair accessible rooms only have 1 king size bed). Once we rolled the wheelchair in, we had to crawl over the bed to get out from behind it (that small). The bathroom was a pleasent surprise: formica counter, brightly lit, curved shower rod, and hot water that kept on coming.

The complimentary breakfast was also as expected: filler for $0. The attendant was also as described: pleasant, and accomodating.

Due to its central location in the community that I grew up in, hojo is my first choice if I have to return to Brooklyn again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank surfsupPhoenix
Reviewed May 13, 2007

My partner and I booked this hotel (and flight) via a popular website. We had reservations about the area as we had read mixed reviews. We have been to NYC before & stayed in Manhatten, so we thought a change in the suburbs would be interesting and excting. This hotel is in the heart of Brookyn and in Crown Heights, about 90% West Indian populas. The road, Utica Av seems to the THE place to go to for all your car needs, as well as having many 'junk' food spots like MD's, KFC, White Caste. However across the road there is a gem, Mike's Diner. We had a huge breakfast there for a fiver each which would last till 4pm until we would have lunch! The food was greatly priced and we never had a dodgy tum after either & the place was clean & staff were lovely.Plus their cups of tea was nice too! We had our dinner there a few times too (its 24 hours plus they deliver to the hotel) and the portions are more than generous, so you have been warned!
If you like African or West Indian food then there are lots of spots for that too, and at good prices. I also recommend that you buy your drinks for your day trips here too in one of the many supermarkets (plus you are helping out the independent stores) as they are $1 or £0.50p or less, whereas in the City they cost more.
We did see some crazy people, but its like any City, just steer clear and dont talk to them! We never felt un safe. We are a mixed couple too (black & white) and we never got hassled in anyway. We had to get the bus from outside the hotel (no 46) to the subway. Or you can walk - 10 mins up the hill to the nearest subway on Utica Av. If you get a $21 pass you can use it on the bus and the subway, so its a good deal. It would take about 30 mins from the bus stop to central Manhatten even during rush hour,so in the evenings we would just stay out till late. We came back to the hotel a few times to go out again in the evening, like to a club, but we would find we were too tired as NYC can be tiring!
The hotel was fine. The staff were nice & did their job, the room was great too. We had instant internet access with our laptop. There was a lot of furniture in the room which made moving about hard, but this is NYC! You dont spend a lot of time in the hotel room now do you/! The bed was very comfy & clean, as was the shower. The only gripe was the towels. I have never had a good run with hotel towels anyway. Too small! We never had any bugs. We never had the breakfast. The breakfast room looked small and pokey & the menu was lame compared to across the road. I have no gripe about the hotel at all.
I may stay here again but it depends on the purpose of my trip and who I am with. The room was very intimate so I would not come here with a friend or my mother, just my partner.
For value, with regards to the hotel, the area and the places to eat (plus there is a big mall down the road, on the no 46 going into Brooklyn which has a lot of good stores like H&M, Old Navy, Ashley Stewart, sports shops etc) and if you want to see where the commuters live & expereince some of real NYC then this is for you!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
9  Thank Cazra
Reviewed April 19, 2007

We stayed here with our children to spend a day in Manhatten. The price was about mid-range ($150)and the location didn't seem too bad. When we checked in we were given a room which was bolted from the inside. The room was not as clean as we would have liked, there were condom wrappers on the side of the bed as well as food and other debris and there were hairs in the tub. There were also ants everywhere!! The linens on the bed seemed clean and the beds were comfortable. The noon check-out time was nice and breakfast was served until 10am with alot to choose from for a continental breakfast. I doubt we would stay here again but for the price only one night wasn't so bad.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank WesterlyTravelers
Reviewed January 28, 2007

I had a death in the family and my son and I along with family members from South Carolina, stayed at this hotel January 25, 2007 and checked out January 26, 2007. This hotel was better than we expected. Yes, the rooms are small but they were very, very, very, CLEAN. The bed linen was clean and comfortable the bathroom exceptionally clean with plenty of towels. My room was a King, but my other family members had a room with two queen sized beds and a small refrigerator. Again, the rooms were small but doable. We were all very happy. I actually got lost once I got into Brooklyn, I called the hotel and one of the gentlemen at the front desk guided me through the streets of Brooklyn by staying on the phone with me the entire time unitl I could see the hotel. I was very appreciative of that!!! When we arrived, check-in was very smooth, no problems. The only problem I had was that night when my heater wouldn't work when I tried to turn it on, I called down to the front desk and was told by the front desk clerk that she was the only one there and could I give her a few minutes. Let me tell you this was one of the coldest days and nights in New York, so finally after about 40 minutes I went down to the front desk and she sent someone up immediately. In a matter of two minutes the heat was working and the room got nice and toasty in no time. Parking is off street parking and located in the back of the hotel. I was o.k. during the daylight hours, but I'd left something in the car and was a little leary of going to get it at night, but the desk clerk assured me that all would be o.k. One watched me from their security cameras and the other came outside with me which I thought was exceptional since it was so COLD!!!! Check-out was also problem free, the continental breakfast was pretty good, (waffles, two types of bagels with cream cheese, bread for toast, jelly, honey, donuts, muffins, four different types of cold cereal, oatmeal, hot chocolate, orange and apple juice, decaf, and caffenated coffe, and tea). All-in-all this hotel was a great place to stay and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
12  Thank holtsr
Reviewed November 15, 2006

This was by far the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. My husband and I were visiting our family in Brooklyn, New York and came across the Howard Johnson. The value seemed to be great and the pictures of the room on the company website were very nice. We had high hopes! When we arrived at the hotel we encountered rude employees. The elevator is big enough for 2 people and one luggage cart to fit in very tightly. The rooms look a lot bigger on the website than what they are. The rooms are so small that there is furniture from wall to wall with no space. You have to turn sideways to walk to the bathroom. There is not a closet and no where to put your luggage. The parking is free but there are not many spaces. When arriving to the hotel late at night the hotel staff was behind the desk sleep leaving room for anyone to just walk in and out of the hotel. It took 3 hours to get extra towels delivered to our room and the maid staff was vacuuming the floor at 8:30 at night.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family