“Beyond Disappointing.”
Review of Park House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Brooklyn
Park House Hotel
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Brooklyn
Philadelphia
“Beyond Disappointing.”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the Park House Hotel on 10/13/12. The room, a studio, looked NOTHING like the pictures posted on their website. The lights over each bed did not work (switches broken), the room was COLD and the thermastat was not adjustable, the room was dirty, smelled and it was generally an awful experience. If I had booked this hotel for more than one night, I would have left, but opted to deal with it for one night. Believe me, I will never be back.

The ONLY positive was the older gentleman, Joe, who works the desk was polite and helpful. Other than that, it was a horrible experience.

Room Tip: Do what I didn't do....don't trust a website....find out from friends, etc. or do more resea...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Linda P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed based upon a combination of price and recent recommendations. The hotel is far from luxury and seemed dated and t be honest somewhat 'tired'. The furniture was all very old fashioned heavy oak and the rooms whist spacious were pretty low grade. If this was anywhere other than close to NYC then this place would probably struggle to get any decent reviews.

As it is the place is clean, in an interesting and safe neighborhood and super convenient for the city. I get the feeling that the place is well managed and looked after but is just a long way off from a modern mid-grade hotel should be. I am not sure i would stay again despite the reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Trip Advisor has been a great resource for me and is usually spot-on with the reviews. This time was an exception. The lobby is dark and clearly outdated; the reception desk has pen and paper cards to sign in and looks like it's circa 1955; there is one tiny elevator for the whole hotel, which means it serves as the service elevator as well. When I got there with my husband and three children, we stood waiting for the elevator for about 10-15 minutes. The only concern from the front desk was, "Did you push the button?" Not a great welcome or introduction.

We were in the "deluxe" suite, which consisted of a kitchenette with no utensils, pots, pans or plates and a full-size refrigerator that was not working when we arrived. The roll out sofa for our teenage son was, as he said, "A pile of springs." My younger children had two cots, which they said were comfortable. The double beds in the master bedroom were hard as rocks, covered with threadbare cotton blankets. There is no cable--or at least cable you would ever want to watch. Major heads-up if you have kids or like to watch CNN.

You really need to know what you are getting into when you stay here and it is not clear on the hotel's website, which touts is almost as a luxury destination. This is not the case. The surrounding neighborhood is famously home to a large Hasidic Jewish population, which provides an old world atmosphere to the area. It feels safe and quiet and family oriented. That also means all stores and restaurants are closed from Friday evening until the following Saturday evening. I understand and respect these traditions, however it is counterintuitive to those of us who are thoroughly immersed in a 24/7 culture.

The upsides are the complimentary "daily" breakfast, which we got to enjoy on only one morning of our three-day stay because breakfast is not served on Saturday and it was not served on Monday, Columbus Day. Probably the best part is the close proximity to the subway, which is two blocks away.

I did not get any charm, warmth or hospitality from this hotel. I felt it was just a way station, and a very shopworn, bland one at that. Hotels are supposed to be places where you feel at home and welcomed, not like an anonymous interloper. A nominal amount of effort to spruce the place up and get it marginally up-to-speed with common traveler expectations is definitely in order.

Add some personality, kindness, a human touch--and some new mattresses!--to help enhance the experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank lisaboy
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I would stay here again. The hotel is well maintained with a wonderful kosher breakfast brunch that is included. The staff is friendly and helpful. It is near the great shops on 13th street and right around the corner from Spoons Restaurant which is vegetarian. Plenty of pizza places. You can also cook for yourself or order Kosher in. The price is $149+ which is great for NYC. The parking is on the street but we got lucky several times and could park near or across the street. The only drawback is the traffic congestion which is just typical NYC. If we were to come again we would take plane, train, or MegaBus and take taxi or subway since subway station is one block away. Loved this little Gem in Brooklyn!

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Becky63_11
Monticello, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed there twice this last summer once for one night and then again for two nights. I enjoyed my stay very much both times. The staff were hospitable and very kind. The breakfast was delicious and the room was very comfortable.
I will for sure stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ellie G
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 23, 2012

If you want to stay in Brooklyn for any reason -- I would whole heartly recommend the Park House. It’s relatively clean, good location to get to and from Manhattan as well as the sights in Brooklyn and its many neighborhoods. The breakfast was much more than I expected and one of the best we’ve had in the USA. The front desk people where helpful, not cheerful and the breakfast (older) lady needs to get a personality.
The only drawback maybe (if you are a Non-Hasidic, which we are) is that it is in a Hasidic neighborhood. That may take some getting use to. On another note someone did smoke on our floor -- stay off the 4th floor as there are ashtrays in the room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank dlomangino
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My wife and I visited Brooklyn for the purpose of seeing two of our sons who live there. The room (studio) we stayed in at the Park House Hotel was large, clean and quiet. We ate the breakfast buffet both mornings of our stay and it was outstanding: Fresh eggs, fresh cut fruit, many choices of breads, juices, etc. The service in the lobby and the dining room could not have been better. The area surrounding the hotel was safe and full of interesting sights. Should we visit Brooklyn again, I would thoroughly enjoy staying at the Park House again.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet one as I'm a light sleeper. The hotel chose a room they said would be quie...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family