“Best price in NYC--saved $$ on accommodations to spend enjoying other activities” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Greenpoint YMCA

Greenpoint YMCA
Anchorage
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2006

Greenpoint YMCA is an excellent choice if looking to minimize your accommodation costs.

Be sure to consider their weekly rate if staying more than 5 days. (6 nights is more expensive than paying the weekly 7 night rate). Both nightly and weekly rates includes a breakfast voucher for each guest. The breakfast voucher is good for one of 6 set breakfast menus at a local diner (Manhattan 3 Decker Restaurant), 1 1/2 blocks from the Greenpoint YMCA—on Manhattan Street, and directly on the way to the nearest subway station.

Rooms are located on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors. There are communal bathrooms on each floor, though there is not a men’s bathroom on the 3rd floor, and not a women’s bathroom on the 4th floor—though all floors are coed. Entry into the women's bathroom requires a seperate key.

The picture represented on the Greenpoint YMCA website is not truly representative of the rooms we stayed (rooms 340 & 417). The property is a little run down, and I would certainly suggest bringing along a pair of flip flops to walk around in, including in the bathroom and communal showers. The bathrooms are cleaned daily (seems around 2 am), and are fairly clean--although it appears the carpets in the rooms are not vacuumed as often as they might be, and they could certainly use a good cleaning.

There was “daily” room service, with the beds being made and clean towels replacing the old ones, though this was slightly inconsistent. We stayed 8 nights and only received room service on 6 of those days.

The first room we were placed in did not have air conditioning. I asked the front desk if it were possible to move to a room with air conditioning, and the person there stated there was a ‘fan’ in my room—which was true. I explained that I am from Alaska and not used to the heat, and requested a room with a real ‘air conditioner’ (the other room we had #340 did have an air conditioner, so I knew there were some rooms with air conditioners). The next morning they woke us up at 8:00 am, to let me know there was now a room available, and moved us to that room with an air conditioner (#417). There was also a problem with the TV, which took 2 days to fix. So while the staff was responsive to our requests, the resolutions were not immediate as you might expect at other more expensive properties.

If you are looking for a place to go, relax and lay around, the Greenpoint YMCA is not your place. The rooms have TV’s, though very poor reception. While we did manage to move the rabbit-ear antennas around and get 5 or 6 channels to come in, the TV reception is not good. Secondly, except for the work-out areas, there aren’t a lot of real amenities at this property.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a place to rest your head at night, get a shower each day, and a place where you can store your belongings in relative safety while you explore the city (guests must be buzzed through security door at front desk to get to the guest floors), then this is the place for you. The price is unquestionably reasonable—and includes a very decent breakfast at a local diner (I had the number two each morning, which included coffee, a small glass of orange juice, two eggs, bacon, hash browns and toast).

The place could be cleaner, and the décor is dated, but we didn’t spend too much time there except to sleep.

Subway access is also convenient. Entrance is made 2 blocks away, at Nassau station on the G line. From there head on train towards “Queens” and get off at the Court Square station. From there you can connect to several different trains, including the V line, which will take you directly to 42nd street, 34th street (Empire State Building). Also from 34th street station, Penn Station is within walking distance, as is connections to any other subway you might want to catch.

The place is a YMCA and has free use of all facilities for guests, including nautilus equipment on 1st floor, free weights in basement, lap pool in basement (limited daytime hours), and a small dry sauna in the basement.

I would definitely stay there again. John O from Anchorage

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — no elevator
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
7 Thank AlaskanJohn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2006

I went to this place open minded, and upon entering the lobby the place seemed fairly modern and busy with locals using the fitness facilities.

I was charged $270 for 6 nights, which was less than expected after looking at the website prices so I was happy.

After going upstairs to my room on the 2nd floor the place had a less modern feel to it, but the corridors were spacious. The main light in my room did not work at first and it was dark so had to use my Nokia and prop the door open to figure out how to turn on the wall light. The light worked in the end after 'hitting' the bulb! When I came to pull the curtains on, the rail must not have been secured and I ended up pulling the whole thing down, which took me the best of 10 mins to get back up!

The doors seemed secure enough, and also had an alarm on if you wanted, bed and sheets were clean, although I'm glad I took my sleeping bag as the room was a bit chily on the first night. (I had to turn the radiator on myself).

The 19" tv worked fine and had at least 6 or 7 good quality channels to choose from which helped to pass a few quiet moments.

My room looked over the police station, and the noise wasnt too bad at all, maybe a couple of sirens mid morning.

Breakfast was included in the price at a local restaurant, and this was awesome.. a choice of 5 types of cooked breakfast! I ate here on 3 occasions, and the rest of the time at the nearby 'Marias' cafe which was also very good, friendly and popular.

Bathrooms were ok, on 1 morning there was no hot water, this was fixed by lunchtime, but on the following day the building had no running water at all for about 5 hours or so and while this was being sorted out you can imagine the state the toilets got in. Luckily I was out in Manhattan during the majority of this period. These were the only 2 major glitches really and apart from that I had no problem at all, the room was a very decent size and for what I paid the whole experience was well worth it.

Regarding the local area, it is a very safe Polish community, and also felt safe using the subway late nights.

The YMCA directions recommend you to take the L train from 8th ave to Lorimer street then transfer to the Queens bound G train and get off at Nassau avenue, but I did find a quicker way especially to get you to grand central, 5th avenue, or times square.... if you take the queens bound G train from Nassau avenue to Court Road (3 stops) you can then get on the Manhattan bound '7' train, into the city (again 3 stops) which is a lot quicker and also gives you some great views of Manhattan on the way in.

Overall, if you dont mind staying out of the 'city' then you should definitely consider this place.

Any questions please email me!

• Stayed January 2006
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2005

The good points about the YMCA Greenpoint is that it is located from across the street from a police station. The neighbourhood it's in is safe enough and at no time did I feel uneasy or threatend. The staff are friendly and there is a gym and sauna room in the buliding. Breakfast is included in the price. The hostel will provide you with meal tokens to redeem at 'The Three Decker' diner which provide you with warm staff, friendly atmoshere and a nice filling breakfast. The hostel itself was unclean. I think that it was not cleaned between occupants. In the first room that I was given, I found toenail clippings on the floor and the window did not shut properly (street noise). After a request to change rooms I found myself in the room next door where I found something that can only be describe as pubic hairs in the bedsheets, the previous occupant shorts and a photo of the man who left them there. (further evidence that the room wasnt clean prior to arrival). My wife and I resorted to using sleeping bag liners and covering the pillows with towels as everything felt unclean. New York is an expensive place for accomodation and this was the cheapest that we could find. If I could do it again I would properly not pick the YMCA Greenpoint to stay at but I think that it wasnt bad enough to spoil the holiday. If i was to complain about just one thing it would have to be the cleaniness. It dosent even have a basic level. but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Brooklyn hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2005

We traveled there in February 2005 and I could say that it is not really bad. O.K., it is a budget YMCA with shared bathrooms, which are not super clean and the funriture is not the newes. But we paid only $25,00 p.p. incl. breakfast. Show me one hotel/hostel in NY, which is cheaper...

• Stayed February 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2005

We booked a room at the Greenpoint YMCA because their homepage promised clean rooms in a safe environment at affordable rates. I don't know which room is shown on their web page, but it definitely wasn't on our floor. We are used to simple lodgings without private bathrooms and I don't mind if the facilities are old, just as long as they are clean and work all right. Unfortunately the place was pretty run down. Our room hadn't even been vacuumed. Since we were travelling with our 9 month old son, this was really bad, because we couldn't just let him crawl on the floor. Right across the street from our room was the local police station, so you had quite a bit of noise all night long. The TV was working, but the only channel we could get was a very fuzzy ABC.

The bathrooms and showers were also pretty bad - everything was not just really old, but either wasn't working or didn't look like you would want to use it because it was dirty. Only two sinks in the women's bathroom had any hot water at all and the toilets never flushed when you wanted them to. Without waterproof shoes taking a shower would not have been an option.

The Greenpoint YMCA is a place I definitely don't want to stay at again, no matter how nice it sounds on the internet.

• Stayed September 2005
17 Thank triptrap2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brooklyn
McCarren Hotel & Pool
Hotel 31
Hotel 31
#230 of 467 in New York City
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,503 reviews

Been to Greenpoint YMCA? Share your experiences!