“Greenpoint YMCA not so bad”
Review of Greenpoint YMCA

Greenpoint YMCA
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I believe that it s necessary for me to contribute to this page so that a fair asessment is taken into consideration by others who are looking for somewhere to stay while in NY city. I saw all the negative reviews and comments about how filthy the place was and felt quite disturbed since I had already committed myself and a group of fifteen (15) to staying there. Needless to say I went with a very heavy spirit but left quite pleased and this was a view shared by my entire group. This place is not crappy as some people have stated. It has some challenges e.g. the carpets are old and do leave a strange scent about the place but it is not offensive. Bed bugs, what bedbugs?? I looked hard and made sure to take precaution but never had any to deal with over the six days i spent there. Bathrooms - these were cleaned very often by the staff but it was the residents that made it filthy and occasionally smelly. Don't blame the staff for this. It was a bit, to go so far for the bathrooms and being a West Indian doing a communal bathroom was not my ideal but it was cleaned often and that made it bearable. Service - I found the staff to be very helpful and accomodating to your needs. If you deal with them respectfully they will be very courteous and helpful. Be a grouch, well enough said. Location - the community was very friendly and having the bus stops right on the corner made travelling so convenient. Would I return - certainly and this was the mutual agreement of my team, all fifteen (15) of us. Thank you Emma and all your staff for making my trip so good.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms are the best and most convenient overall when it comes to bathroom facilities...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Hayden B
There are newer reviews for Greenpoint YMCA

Reviewed September 12, 2011

you can stay in a small but perfectly adequate single room with shared bathrooms, for half the cost as the uptown manhattan y. the staff here are great, all of the gym facilities, plus you're in the great polish/hipster neighbourhood of greenpoint, 15 minute walk to bedford L station smack in the middle of wburg (and then 10 minute train to union square).
why stay in a 12 bed dorm in chelsea for the same price? no thanks.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank mondodelmundo
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Wouldn't recommend this hostel at all. The furnishing was very old and the rooms were not clean at all. Not to mention the very dirty bathrooms. Nevertheless the staff was very nice and helpful, which unfortunately can't make up for the bad state of the rooms.Had to stay there one night because it was already too late to get from JFK to Manhattan. Never again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank ustatata
Reviewed June 23, 2011

i arrived from a very important meeting. i had many documents in my briefcase. i put the briefcase down on the "bed" (actually was a pile of garbage bags with a sheet over it) and went to use the "bathroom" down the hall. the bathroom was covered with bedbugs and i could hardly loosen my bolo before i was swarmed with roaches. i walked to the desk to complain but the man at the desk said "no polish" then gave me the finger.
not worth the 35 cents and skymiles on my AMEX!

Room Tip: ask for sandy
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TRIPGUZZLER
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I read the reviews here that said "Bedbugs! Squalor! Mice! Cockroaches!" and I thought to myself, "I am a tough, savvy individual and I need somewhere to stay. I'll just check the room before I put the suitcase on the ground."

So, like an idiot I booked the place. Even managing to book was a miracle in itself considering the information in the online reservation form goes into a black hole in the internet and never comes back out again. I'm not going to tell you how I did it, though, because you should not go there. I am serious.

I checked the room when I went in, saw no sign of bedbugs, and thought I was safe. Then I found bites on my arms and ankles. Then I found a bedbug crawling out of a notebook. I found a bedbug on my leg. I found a bedbug in the bed. A small, cute mouse that probably had hantavirus occasionally emerged from underneath the furniture to nibble on crumbs I left on the floor. Small weird insects popped out of cracks and waved their antennae at me. Possibly they were baby cockroaches?

When I told them my room had bedbugs, they transferred me to another room. I had to wash all of my stuff and discarded my purse, suitcase, and backpack under the grounds that they were probably infested. I tried to get any kind of records (of previous infestations, of the treatment they had used for those infestations) for the room I was moving into but the front desk folks ended up "forgetting" about it with the shift change. I was taking a full time course at the time and was too tired to argue. I really wonder if they treat the rooms with bedbugs at all.

It's not worth it. Go somewhere else and pay more money for the peace of mind. New York is expensive anyway. You do not want to go here. Decontaminating your stuff is costly and time consuming. You will spend more time back home worrying that you brought bugs back with you or spread them somewhere else in New York.
This place is an infested hellhole. Don't get me wrong, I liked the underpaid and overworked front office people and the location. But, the Greenpoint YMCA is 99% bedbugs and other assorted vermin and management does not seem to care, so that is problematic.

Other reasons not to go: people smoke in their rooms and no one cares, the cleaning service happens sporadically at best, the quiet hours are a joke, BEDBUGS
DISEASE
MICE
BABY COCKROACHES
SQUALOR

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Anna T
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We weren't expecting much, but what we got made our stay miserable. We were charged 80 dollars a night, and so many things were wrong that it's almost funny. The blankets were grimy, and looked and smelled as if they hadn't been washed within any recent history. We could literally see a buildup of dirt. The bed themselves were ancient and incredibly uncomfortable. We could feel the springs in the mattress, and whenever I laid on my stomach the springs would be poking me in the ribs.

The old "air conditioner" shoved into the window was half broken. At it's coldest it would lightly blow mildly warm air. The hallway was actually cooler. At night we couldn't sleep with blankets because it was so hot, and just sitting still was uncomfortable.

The TV was very old and barely worked. We got three channels (the rest we either didn't get or were in Spanish. There were more working Spanish channels than anything else) and the tv wold end up "crashing", so we had to constantly unplug and replug the cable box. When a channel stopped working the TV would say to "adjust the antenna" which of course never worked.

We were given 4 towels for the entire week that we were there. Considering there were two of us, this would have made showering even more awkward than it already was. Luckily I brought my own towels. Some reviews on here say the maid would come occasionally to clean their rooms, but our room wasn't cleaned once the entire week we were there. She always seemed to be cleaning other people's rooms, but never ours.

We initially had problems getting the key to open the door. The lock was half broken, so we'd just keep spinning the key around and around with nothing happening. We called up the front desk to ask them to bring someone up to help us, and they said they would. No one ever came though. Eventually we learned that you had to pull the door towards you just the right way for it to work.

In the bathroom none of the stall doors would shut or lock. Pantless people were also smoking in there, and one day someone hung their dirty underwear from one of the stall doors. I found myself going down to the second floor bathroom a lot, as no one was ever in there and the doors actually locked. The showers also seemed to be a lot better and less likely to "flood". The showers on our floor had no place to put your shampoos and other things, so you had to put them on the floor. There was also no dry place to put your clothes or towel.

When we first got there, after a long and tiring day of traveling, being harassed in the subway by crazies, and dragging our luggage around for hours, of course it was annoying hearing we had to drag our suitcases up to the third floor, as there is no elevator.

Some good things: It's across from a police station, so it feels safe. The neighborhood is pretty nice and there are different places to eat (Some good pizza places). Not too far from Manhattan. Free breakfast at a diner. Unfortunately, the bad outweighs the good.

Now, I see a lot of people excusing the horrible place because it's a hostel, and saying it's the cheapest place to stay. BUT, it is NOT the cheapest place to stay. We stayed here because the cheapest place to stay, which has a private bathroom, working TV, air conditioning, and comfortable beds, was booked up. We had stayed there before and it was sooo nice and only charges 50 dollars a night. Meanwhile, the YMCA is quite dumpy and charged us 80...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank oilerspoiler
Reviewed August 7, 2009

So I read all the reviews re: bed bugs. I did. But I also wanted someplace affordable, and in the end, we booked 5 nights @ this Y. I really, really, really wish we'd heeded the reviews. Our first night there, they tried to put us (a couple) in a room with only a bunkbed, even though we had paid for a queen. We went down the 6 flights of stairs to tell the front desk, who insisted it was a queen bed. Afraid our jetlag was to blame, we went back up, thinking maybe it was some weird queen bunkbed. Nope. It was a two twin beds on top of one another - bunk beds. The front desk still disagreed, but finally, after a lot of sighing and rolling of eyes, gave us another room, with a "single" bed. Once we got back up to the 4th floor we saw our new room was a twin. We were exhausted and didn't want to go up and down stairs again, so we slept there. In the middle of the night I woke up to creepy crawly feelings - turned on the light and saw a huge bed bug scurrying over the side of the mattress. We looked under the sheets and along the bottom of the bed and saw tell tale dark spots, as well as another scurrying guy.

The next morning we told them about the bed bugs. They acted like we were talking about finding the Loch Ness Monster in our room and said "no matter, your new room is ready." Our new room was our original room (which they later told us - apparently they weren't sure if the former tenant was there so they didn't let it to us the first night). The new room smelled like someone had emptied 5 gallon jugs of cologne on the rug. I didn't see any bed bugs in this room, but I did not sleep a wink those whole 4 days. I was covered in bites by the second morning, and uncomfortable for the next two weeks. We had to abandon our suitcases and hot hot hot clean and dry everything we had taken on the trip before we could take the items inside our house. Worst of all, every day of the trip we wondered if it was worth losing our deposit and trying to find a new place, or shell out $$$$ for last minute lodgings instead of going back to that room each night. It was a constant source of worry and stress.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jentifer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brooklyn
Henry Norman Hotel
The Harlem YMCA
#22 of 163 in New York City
NY Moore Hostel
#1 of 55 in Brooklyn

Been to Greenpoint YMCA? Share your experiences!