“A jewel in the borough of Brooklyn” 5 of 5 bubbles

Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Staten Island, New York, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A jewel in the borough of Brooklyn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

My Husband was cremated at the site. beautiful grounds very serene. the staff was most sympathetic and made the worse day of my life easier.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Beaverstandig

• Polish first
Brooklyn, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Quiet place amidst the city chaos.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Always an enjoyable place to walk, think and see many great tombstones. Such a hidden gem with so much history embedded in the site itself.

Visited August 2013
Gatineau, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“So peaceful and beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We walked from one end of the park to the other on our way to prospect park. This was a very nice walk. It's pretty cool to see tombstone from the 19th century. The crypts and the lakes make this place special. Not creepy at all! The chapel was nice and I wished we would have had time to take the guided tour.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Evelyne M
New York City, New York
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great historic gravesites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Excellent place to see NY's first great burial ground with lot of historic sites and some great sculptures

Visited September 2013
Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“GreenWood is truly wonderful place to visit.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

I was shocked when I first visited Green Wood Cemetery. Coming from Japan, I always had an image of cemetery as somewhere you have to be solemn, quiet and serious. But this cemetery is not somewhere like that. It has beautiful nature, architects and tomb stones, peaceful atmosphere, great overlook of the city from the highest point of the hill and almost celebrating atmosphere for people who sleep in there. Whenever I get there, I even feel like hearing the message coming from them saying "Don't worry about your life. Everything comes and go. Everything is dream. When you die, you know your real life is. You will be free and full of joy." Anyway, I really feel relaxed and joyous at Green-Wood Cemetery, enjoying the individual creativity on each tomb stone. For me, it is also more like an experience of visiting art museum in open field. Since I live in this neighborhood, I visited there from time to time and I always enjoy being lost in the walk. The next time I go there, I'd also like to try famous pizza of Toby's Public House nearby that people say it's very good after having a long walk.

Visited May 2013