“Tranquil....”

Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I took the trip from Philadelphia which took about 2 hours. The GPS lead me perfectly there. I was anxious, excited and it was hard to drive the speed limit. As I pulled up to the Main Gate there it was. As beautiful as I expected. Been wanting to come here for about 8 months now. I was so glad that I finally made the trip. The staff at the gate welcomed me and asked if I had needed a map. Once in I pulled in I pulled over to get my camera and flip ready. A funeral procession was coming through. The bell tower rang out loud and the parrots flew and screeched. It was truly amazing and eerie. I was hoping that there wasn't much damage from hurricane Sandy. I had read that there were a lot of trees that had gone down. And it was true. Yet through the distant sounds of chainsaws and wood chippers, the cemetery had a tranquil presence about it. I had 6 hours to explore. And had marked out my favorites that I had wanted to see. But as you can guess, I was torn in a million places in awe of the beautiful statues and sites surrounding me. Thus I only discovered half of my search but that was okay. I saw a lot of people walking around, pushing their carriages and jogging through. How lucky they are to be near such a beautiful place. As the day came to an end, my heart sunk since I knew that my exploring would come to an end as well. I really loved this place and stalled as long as I could until finally the gates were reflecting back in my rear view mirror. This placed moved me in a way I can't explain. And as I sit here today, I long to go back! Still so much to see and explore. Guess I'll have to wait patiently until my next trip with the holiday's and all coming. But I'll be back for sure. Until that day, thank you everyone that works at Green-Wood for caring for her so much and cleaning up the Sandy destruction. Happy Holiday's to you!

There are newer reviews for Green-Wood Cemetery

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My grandparents are buried here, and its always been maintained beautifully. The grounds are kept clean, very green and extremely peaceful.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was a tour around halloween that pointed out the erie graves and told the stories for each. It was interesting. The best part was visiting the catacombs.

1  Thank Chrystie1
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The staff was very rude and prejudice. They rushed my group out as if we were hooligans based on how we looked when indeed we were there to pay our respects. It was very upsetting

2  Thank EllaBellaDreams
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Couldn't go in due to storm damage, but photographed amazing headstones from the past through the fence.