New York Like A Native
Review Highlights
Excellent & Informative PrivateTour in Brooklyn

We had an excellent half day tour in Brooklyn with Norman. He is very knowledgeable and... read more

Reviewed October 13, 2019
sydney70
Sydney
Ethnic neighborhoods tour par excellence

I brought my 15 year old grandson to NYC for a week because he wanted to experience the culture of... read more

Reviewed April 2, 2019
Global36408
via mobile

All reviews half day tour norman information neighborhoods tailored culture route subway nyc
Selected filters
Reviewed February 19, 2016

Norman is the first guide i enjoyed thoroughly. Most of the time, i get bored with guides because they repeat what you can find in a guide book . Not him. He is fast paced and interesting every step of the way. The information covers the historical, architectural , political of williamsburg as well as the today's life of the neighborhood. For the foodies, let us not forget stops for goodies from pastries to chocolates to delightful coffee or the most delicious ice cream. This was a real treat. all of us enjoyed this tour a lot.

Is this tour for family with young children? i am sure Norman can adapt to the crowd and the kids will really like the goodies. but It seems more interesting for teens and adult

Date of experience: February 2016
1  Thank lauremmm
NYLikeANative, Owner at New York Like A Native, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2016

Thanks so much for your review, Laure. I appreciate it that your group was eager to and energetic enough for an extended tour of Williamsburg--we spent nearly 5.5 hours, including lunch, and we saw a lot, but still not everything.

As I said, my typical 2.5-hour tour of Williamsburg is a strong introduction, but it's a large and complicated enough place--with several distinct sectors--to make a longer tour worthwhile.

Hope to see you again!

Norman Oder
New York Like A Native

Reviewed January 1, 2016

Norman took us on a private tour of Bushwick. He knows the neighborhood, but it is not one of his most frequently-requested tours. He had planned a thoughtful route in advance, ensured we had a good meal to start with (excellent recommendation), and did everything we asked for the tour (my wife had wanted to see street art). He really loves New York, and Brooklyn in particular, and his tours benefit from his perspective as someone who has lived here for some time -- so he has lived some of the recent history. Well worth it!

Date of experience: December 2015
Reviewed October 26, 2015

I took Norman Oder's "Victorian Flatbush" tour over the weekend. He really is an expert guide. He has a great way of giving you just the right amount of detail and always makes the context crystal clear (historical, geographic, economic)--as well as keeping it entertaining. A total pro. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: October 2015
Reviewed October 13, 2015

I am a university professor who recently hired Norman Oder (New York Like a Native) to lead college students on two walking tours—one through the Lower East Side and another in Brooklyn. I found Norman to be incredibly knowledgeable, dynamic, and engaging. So did my students! Norman showed us the hidden dimensions of each neighborhood’s present and its past. He worked with me to customize both tours. Indeed, Norman went out of his way to do research in advance of our tours. Simply put, if you want to learn more about Lower Manhattan or Brooklyn, you cannot do better than New York like a Native!

Date of experience: October 2015
1  Thank nicolekensington
Reviewed June 28, 2015

I recently did some family history research and found my great grandfather built a large number of homes in Brooklyn. I wanted to explore the areas in which he worked and see some of the homes he built. As I live in Australia, my time in NY was limited so I contacted Norman based on trip adviser reviews. As the area was outside the areas in which he normally conducts tours, he researched the area ahead of time, locating homes built by my great grandfather. Our three hour walking tour was great. He provided lots of interesting information, had a clear plan but was flexible as we went along, happy to tailor the approach to match my interests. I would certainly recommend him and next time I am in NYC would love to do one of his more usual tours. Thanks Norman!

Date of experience: June 2015
NYLikeANative, Owner at New York Like A Native, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2015

You're quite welcome. I always tell people there's more to learn about Brooklyn, and in this case I/we explored parts of Bedford-Stuyvesant and Bushwick off the most prominent and historically important blocks.

In fact, when I walked the route as a "practice tour" a week earlier, I noticed that the route passed a convent. During the actual tour, we were invited in!

We also encountered a couple now living in a house that was built by the great-grandfather, and we we had an impromptu chat.

The lesson, as I've learned, is to be open to serendipity.

All the best,