“Ok, yes. Great, no. ”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant was very plain with a cheap dinner look and feel. Bread was stale, seemed like leftovers from night before. Salad was large, fresh, but lacked taste. The steak was the size of well a cow. Preparation was good, but taste not what I would I expected from a top level steak house. The service was polite, but neither friendly nor inviting. Oh, and bring cash or a debit card as no credit cards accepted. Overall, go only if you want to say you "been there" but don't go for a great meal.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Since it was selected the best steak house for the last 30 years we wanted to have a dinner at Peter Lugar's. The manager (who was kind of rude !!!! ) said; they keep the reservation only for extra 10 - 15 minutes than cancel it without calling...Due to heavy traffic in NYC we were late for half an hour and had to wait extra 40 minutes for a convenient table.....
From my point of view; Peter Lugar's came out to be "average" in general. In Istanbul we have much better "steak houses"
If you miss it don't worry at all or else don't push yourself too much to have a dinner at Peter Lugar's; it doesn't worth at all.
And plus they don't accept credit cards, which is amazing !!!

Reviewed May 31, 2014

This place was hyped so much but didn't deliver. It was only me eating steak which I love but I had the porterhouse for two as that was what was recommended by friends. The wait in the bar beforehand is not enjoyable. It might be the style to be offhand in bars in Brooklyn but frankly the staff at the bar are just rude. My opinion will mean nothing in a place as famous as this but for my money there is better elsewhere, elsewhere in England for matter, easily and I don't enjoy spending my hard earned to be treated like an inconvenience. That said the lad who got us a cab was really helpful and try the wine, it is their own vineyard apparently and it is fabulous ( cab sav ) and a steal at the price.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

So we came all the way from California to New York and one of our stops was Peter Lugar we saw it on TV read all the hype and when we got there it was a very small brick building the food was just okay nothing to write home about the atmosphere was pretty dull service was average ... Best part was the subway ride there !

Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Love Peter Lugars. I am very surprised by some of less than positive reviews. This is our second trip and we will come back each time we go to New York. It's such an icon! The old school decor and atmosphere is awesome. And the fact they still use the old punch button cash registers just shows how they don't change. And when you do it well and you have to call two months in advance to get a table, why should you change? The steak is amazing!! I mean seriously, how many steaks can you literally cut with your fork?? And you can cut it on both sides of the T-bone which is pretty impressive. The flavor is amazing. The German potatoes are lick your plate good! And even though, after all that, I'm stuffed, I cannot leave without having their signature chocolate sundae. Oh my word how awesome those things are!! And I love the staff, yes some seem a little surly, but seriously, it's half the charm. I halfway expect the mafia to come rolling through the place at any moment or to find out the waiters all worked for Tony Soprano:) It's just a cool place. And how many restaurants are good enough to say they have been around since the 1800's?? Just remember, they only take cash so come prepared!

1  Thank CH0317