“Surprisingly good”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Saw the sign for this restaurant on my way to JFK airport and decided to try it on the way home. Very close to the freeway but on the water and not too noisy. Had a dozen crabs between 2...half garlic and half Old Bay...Old Bay won by a large margin. Came with some rather sad corn and fries that rapidly got cold ( but didnt stop me eating them!) We had wine by the glass..big servings! Service was good; we sat on the deck and it was a bit chilly but somehow crabs inside is not authentic!

There are newer reviews for Clementes Maryland Crab House

Reviewed May 27, 2013

One of a kind(for Brooklyn). Service was quick and friendly. Food was A1 Chowder outstanding. Outdoor seating is where you should eat. Great for kids and large groups. not an intimate restaurant but friendly and fun

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Our family of four went to Clemente's yesterday evening for Mother's Day. I feel weird writing a review of a restaurant on the busiest restaurant day of the year, but hey.

This is an authentic Brooklyn spot bringing you a real crab house feel, rustic. But it's kinda hard to get to. You have to drive behind the US movie theater in Sheepshead Bay and look for a small sign, then drive into a long dirt parking lot. They also only take cash, but they do have an ATM (that runs out of cash if they're busy and they're usually busy, so bring cash).

We originally asked to be seated outside on the dock, but it was so windy they brought us back inside without any problem. The waitress immediately came and took our drink orders. My margarita was really good. The atmosphere is very relaxed. My husband stood up and walked over to the large screen TV on the wall to watch part of the game...no problem. For appetizers we got clams on the half shell, a jumbo shrimp cocktail that was indeed jumbo, clams casino (delish), and a crab chowder my husband said was excellent.

My 15 year old is a very picky eater but said her pasta with vodka sauce was the best she'd ever had. My husband loved the soft-shell crab. My 16 year old only orders hamburgers and she loved the burger. I got the all you can eat crabs which I enjoyed, but would never order again. It's too much work for very little to eat. But that's not the fault of the restaurant, there's simply very little meat to these crabs. But they will bring you as many as you want. You can get them with Old Bay spice or in oil and garlic. I had both and both are good. Next time I'll go for the king crab or the lobster. There will be a next time.

I had tartufo for desert and it was excellent. The dark chocolate around the vanilla ice cream was thick and delish. Picky 15 year old had the chocolate cake which she finished with a smile.

I think Clemente's is good for anytime. I gave a "4" for special occasions because on a holiday it's crowded and rushed. It would be fab for a birthday or anniversary.

The menu states that you will have to wait for your meal as they make every dish individually. The drinks and appetizers came pretty fast. We did have a looong wait for our entrees, but the food was great so it didn't matter. We just acted like we were home and started talking amongst ourselves and had a great time. I've read some other reviews saying the wait staff was inattentive. Our waitress was quite attentive, but rushed, very rushed. At one point we were joking with one of the bus boys. It's a real old fashioned Brooklyn kinda place. When we walked out, the traffic was zooming by on the Belt Parkway and my 16 year old commented that it felt like we'd just left a Key Largo, FL joint on the highway to Key West.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Discovered this place through groupon despite the fact that I have lived in this area for years! I visited this restaurant on a Sunday night and for the first time got top notch treatment because I was a grouponer. Every grouponer was assured crabs while the regular customers were not able to get an order because the supply was low.
My dinner included a lobster dinner but I must say I was not impressed with the lobster or the side dish of potatoes with corn Because I have definitely had better. However, the crabs were some of the best I have ever had anywhere including Maryland. The crab size was not the best but the were some of the best seasoned crabs I have ever tasted. I was able to try both garlic and old bay but they both were delicious. Fried oreos were served as the dessert which was ok.
The restaurant itself was a eye sore but to be fair I must say my visit was after hurricane sandy hit this area very hard. We experienced no wait time to be seated or served. This restaurant is named for the crab dishes they sell and i must the crabs were great but I wasn't impressed with anything else. In the future this would definitely be my go to place for crabs in Brooklyn!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I recently visited Clementes maryland Crab house due to a Groupon deal, since my husband is allergic to shellfish he decided to have the Caucan Salmon with potatoes and vegetables and I had the Jumbo Shrimp with white rice and vegetables. Both dishes were HORRIBLE, the salmon was very bland and watery (not fully cooked) the vegetables were very stale and lacking any seasoning/flavor. The potatoes were hard. As for my dish the rice was cold and bland (NO SEASONING AT ALL) the Shrimp tasted as if there were not cooked fully still cold, fishy smell and sour fishy taste. The decor of the place is very outdated and a simply. Will not be going backa nd would not recommend this place to anyone. Maybe the crabs/lobsters are better but other dishes are horrendous. Well on the positive note the waitress did not charge me for my meal since I didnt touch not one portion on the plate so I appreciated the fairness of this act. Also they only accept cash I mean it 2013 who doesnt accept credit cards.