“Good”

Cuisines: Polish
Germany
“Good”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The food was good, tasty and comforting (typical for Polish dishes). However, the presentation of the main course was just ok. Very simple and could be done better, prettier..
But on the other side our waitress (Malgosia) was very nice, warm and chatty. We loved her. She just made our evening there. The ambiance is nice, traditional, rustic way. We liked it. The restaurant is easy to find and quiet close to the subway station.

• Visited February 2014

• Polish first
Estados Unidos
“Always a good time; great prices, too”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

There were four of us. After five appetizers there was some question about whether we really wanted much in the way of "main courses" (the five appetizers was actually quite a lot of food, and we hadn't ordered mains yet). My friends chose two main courses for us all to share, though; and I added another (a third main course) that hadn't been "voted on" by the group. When it all arrived, the table gasped as if it was way-too-much-food. However, I noticed afterward that all of it (every little bit) got eaten. And then they argued with me when I wanted to order a desert for us all to share. I went for the creps; which arrived HUGE on a plate with piles of real whipped cream. Again, every little bit got eaten. Total bill (recalling that it also included six or seven beers, and two shots of Zùbrowka) was $135 before tip. ["I paid that much for hamburgers with my daughter in Manhattan, just the two of us, the other day" my friend said, with an air of only-a-little exaggeration.]

I've made the trip from Manhattan to this restaurant in Greenpoint several times (too bad the subway connections aren't better) and I've never been disappointed. It is always a good time, with good food and very pleasant waitresses. Low prices, too. The only problem is that you need to be prepared to eat too much (you just can't help it). My mother was Polish; and I've been to Poland many times (traveling around and visiting relatives). This place, Karczma, is "real Polish food". I recommend it, for many reasons.

After dinner, my friend's wife and daughter went back home, but he and I went to a retail beer-store-with-taps down the street (it's called "Brouwerij Lane", one block away at 78 Greenpoint Ave) and we had some really nice imperial stout. [I recommend going there after Karczma; but it has a strange liquor license and closes early (10:00 on a Saturday, fercrissakes).]

• Visited February 2014
Warszawa
“Little Tatry mountain in NY”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Delicious food tipical for Polish Moutain region. Resonable prices for huuuuuge amount of food. Very nice stuff especialy Ms. Małgosia:) In weekends problems with free tables. Worthy to visit.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Joanna F
Kaiserslautern, Germany
“Great food and value”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

If you ever find yourself remotely close to Greenpoint check out this restaurant. There were three of us and we ordered their grilled meat plate for 3. It is more that enough food for 5 people and it is fairly priced at $35. Our servers, at the bar and at the table, were extremely nice and fast, though the place was full. Their selection of Polish vodka is quite nice.

• Visited January 2014
New York, New York, United States
“Off the beaten track”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Greenpoint isn't on most tourists' itineraries, and gentrification is slowly eroding its ethnic charm. But, it remains the center of New York's Polish community and of its Polish restaurants Karczma is one of the best. If you're a New Yorker, or if your schedule allows you enough time to venture out to Brooklyn and some of the more interesting, but less visited parts of the City, give the kielbasa, pierogi and, in Winter, warm beer with spices a try.

• Visited November 2013