“Great food, intersting decor and rapid service”
Review of Tom's Restaurant

Tom's Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 5,363 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast
Glasgow, Scotland
“Great food, intersting decor and rapid service”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I ate here around 11am on a weekday. I got in and sat down no bother at all, but it was busy when I left just after midday.

I had eggs with home fries and pork sausage followed by danish pancakes. It was difficult to finish, but really tasty. Ther service was fast and friendly. I was never without coffee or water and the food came out freakisly fast!

The prices were reasonable, I think my cheque was for less than $20 including a tip (and I'm not a tight person!). It's just up from the Brooklyn Museum and Prospect Park and the Botanic Subway station is about a 5 minute walk away. For me it was worth the trip, I'll probably go again before I leave NYC.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Glyndwr1404

Houston, Texas
“Pancake City”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My son who lives near Tom's has always wanted to try it out, and it was recommended by our B&B, so I thought we'd give it a try. We went on a weekday morning, after the weekend rush and morning madness. We were immediately seated in what I thooght was a time warped diner form the 50s or so. I doubt much has changed since then in the restaurant. We had heard about the pancakes so we both gave them a try. Thumbs up on my banana and pecan and his apple and pecan pancakes. Three nice sized flapjacks for $8, a steal in this city. Not to mention they make their own butter with bananas, apples, etc. While I can't speak of anything else on the menu, I can say it looked extensive and and inexpensively priced. If you are looking for cheap, filling eats that taste good, check Tom's out.

• Visited April 2013
Connecticut
“Old-line eatery with '40s-'50s vibe”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stepping into Tom's can make you think you've walked into an Edward Hopper painting. Although the Tom who founded the restaurant in 1936, passed away many years ago, the atmosphere of this place is much like it was when it was new. It's a neighborhood landmark, although you may miss it if you walk by too fast. There's no outdoor sign, but if you look in a window and see Coca-Cola signs, fading celebrity photos and knick-knacks coating the wall, you'll know you're there.

My wife and I had lunch at Tom's with my 9-month old granddaughter who slept in her stroller oblivious to the rich nostalgia surrounding her. We arrived around 1:30 when most of the midday rush had subsided allowing us to be seated immediately. They make terrific old-school style burgers to order here with just about any topping you can imagine. The service is good if just a tad slow, but the food is definitely worth the wait. The prices are reasonable, too, compared with what you'll pay at Park Slope restaurants a few blocks away. Seating is a bit cramped, especially if you try to navigate a stroller through this maze of tables and booths.

I'd go back, but it may be a while before I get there since there are so many other great places within a few blocks that I want to try as well.

• Visited September 2012
New York, New York, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Strong Breakfast Menu”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Tom's gets a lot of reviews warning about the wait, but they do their best to serve you orange slices, fries, cookies etc which a lot of other places wouldn't bother. Their breakfast menu is strong, all your favorites and delicious fluffy pancakes. They even make their own butters (cinnamon, pumpkin, strawberry...)! I highly recommend!

• Visited March 2013
“Worst service ever!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I do not recommend this place... My cousin, aunt and I were patiently waiting to be seated for almost 7 minutes... There were 4 seats in the front however they were waiting to put us in the back in the booth.... So two white girls came in and sat in the booth they were cleaning for us anthe same guy that told us to wait handed these girls that just walked from the street. Needless to say they did not get our money. I will not recommend this place to anyone.