“Wonderful Restaurant”

Ranked #16 of 6,842 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Old Fulton St.
Transit: A or C train to High Street/Brooklyn Bridge; 2 or 3 train to Clark Street; F train to York St.; Bus #41 to Old Fulton St./Cadman Plaza West
Description: The River Cafe is open for Dinner service every day of the year. Dinner service begins at 5:30 Lunch is served on Saturday from 11:30 AM until 2:30 PM Brunch is served on Sunday from 11:30 AM until 2:30 PM
Reviewed October 6, 2014

We chose the River Cafe as it was a special occasion and felt that the Manhattan skyline lit up at night would be a fantastic backdrop. The tasting menu was DELICIOUS. We all loved each course and the chocolate Brooklyn bridge dessert was perfect to end it all. At first it seemed like it was an older persons type of establishment (men need to wear a jacket) but the location and food mean it is perfect for everyone.

Date of visit: October 2014
1  Thank LosElvinos
Write a ReviewReviews (3,909)

Reviewed October 6, 2014

What a location !! Yes expensive but one of the best nights I have ever had. Super Views worth it just for the pictures.
The food is a bonus.

3  Thank lynntilly
Reviewed October 6, 2014

We visited the River Cafe just before Hurricane Sandy and had been waiting for the opportunity to visit again. This September we were able to make that return visit and it exceeded our expectations. We arrived shortly before sunset and enjoyed a couple of drinks at the bar before taking our table near the window with a fantastic view. We were very happy to have such a great view of the Statue of Liberty and enjoyed a firework display while we ate!

The revised menu provides plenty of choices with special praise for the Mushroom Wellington, it's a breath of fresh air to find such a refined vegetarian dish!

If you are not happy to receive old-style, professional service, eat amazing, perfectly balanced food, drink from an exceptional wine list whilst enjoying one of the best views of Manhattan, then perhaps the River Cafe isn't for you, otherwise, book well ahead of time and savour every moment as we did.

1  Thank Karen_kmw133
Reviewed October 5, 2014

I visited with my wife for brunch in Saturday.

I was a little 'casual' in my attire. NYC is generally quite chilled and etiquette is generally more relaxed than London, although from the look up and down the attractive but slightly surely blond gave me on reception, I think my shorts (nice ones) were not necessarily considered 'appropriate' attire. She thought for a fraction of a second as her eyes moved down then up and gave me the benefit of the doubt and nodded me though to the equally attractive dark haired maître de.

She was delightful, as was the waiter. Superb food, but not what a Brit would call Brunch food. More lunch on a weekend. Brunch to us is breakfast eaten at lunch time. Not too Americans and I often forget this.

Anyway lovely food and service.

The place was badly damaged in Sandy and has only been operational again for 7/8 months or so. It's one of my favourite NYC restaurants.

Hope you enjoy it..... But just look smart.

Date of visit: October 2014
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed October 2, 2014

It is clear that River Cafe stands out for its views from Brooklyn to downtown Manhattan thorugh the East River. How many views you have, though, depends on luck since you are seated on an arrival basis more or less close to the windows. Price is fixed and not cheap at all. Food is ok but not the most impressive thing in the world and tables are really close to each other ... as said, the best are views and probably it is worth to get there if you are willing to pay for the place.