“One of our favorites!”
Review of The River Cafe

The River Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
The River Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 5,459 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Old Fulton St.
Transit: A or C train to High Street/Brooklyn Bridge; 2 or 3 train to Clark Street; F train to York St.; Bus #41 to Old Fulton St./Cadman Plaza West
Description: The River Cafe is open for Dinner service every day of the year. Dinner service begins at 5:30 Lunch is served on Saturday from 11:30 AM until 2:30 PM Brunch is served on Sunday from 11:30 AM until 2:30 PM
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We've been coming to River Cafe for many years now and not once have we ever been disappointed. The atmosphere, the views, the food, the service is stellar. It would be really hard for us to visit NYC without going to River Cafe. Don't miss this--especially if you are looking for someplace for a special occasion.

1  Thank scdm
There are newer reviews for The River Cafe

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We travelled to New York in May 2014 from the UK to get married and went to the River Cafe for our wedding meal. It was recommended by lots of people on Tripadvisor and I was afraid it wasn't going to live up to the hype, but I was wrong! We absolutely loved it!

We sat and had a glass of champagne in the bar area before being seated, service was fantastic.

The food was unbelievable! We had the shrimp and steak tartare to start, the lamb and the lobster for main and the brooklyn bridge and apple crisp for dessert. My husband said that the steak tartare was out of this world and the lobster was beautiful - infact I don't think I will ever be able to eat lobster again because it won't be as good!

The service throughout was brilliant and despite feeling a little bit out of our depth at first, we soon felt comfortable. Our waiter always kept our water and wine topped up without us even noticing.

It goes without saying that the view is breathtaking.

Although expensive, we felt that the atmosphere and the quality of the food and wine justified the price and would definitely go again if we ever return to New York.

1  Thank ohlalalaura
Reviewed June 11, 2014

A first time tourists from London, we were recommended. the River Café's reputation had made it across the pond and had been mentioned to us by a couple of friends prior to our visit. I called ahead a month in advance to get our reservation. It was our wedding anniversary so what better place to make a memorable evening for us both that in a high end restaurant with amazing views?

I've struggled with this review. The prices are toward the higher end of what I am comfortable paying for a good meal and at this level I expect certain standards. I cannot say this was a poor experience, nor would I want to. That would be unfair.

Food and service were both acceptable. The Maine lobster was delicious and the chocolate dessert in the shape of the Brooklyn bridge, inspired. A comprehensive wine list gave excellent choice too.

The views over the river are unquestionably outstanding and the location, although a way to go from midtown Manhattan, is great.

There is a requirement for gentlemen to wear Jackets, which is absolutely fine. This leads you to expect certain standards, but my personal opinion is that this venue has ideas a little above its station as these standards aren't quite met.

If it were a car and it were described to me I would be expecting a Bentley. Whilst it might look like a Bentley and sound like one too, the leather trim isn't quite right, if that analogy makes sense.

Be prepared to pay a premium for the view; Expect better than average service and good food and you would most likely not be disappointed. Expect a premier dining experience and you may be left wanting a little as we were.

1  Thank Iharper
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Went there to celebrate a birthday dinner and graduation with a party off five. The entrance with landscaping lighting and flowers were overwhelmingly elegant. The table had a spectacular view of the Manhattan skylines and river. The food was luscious served with flare and style. However initially we felt rushed by the waiter who seemed to want to get us done and overwork and on to the next seating. For the $ I expect better service and better understanding. Would I go back definitely in a heartbeat.

Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Coming from Sydney Australia for my 50th Birthday dinner and selecting a dinner venue was worrying.... I selected the River Cafe based on the view and atmosphere and was not disappointed in the least. Some reviews of the food and service left me wondering but anyone reading this should not hesitate as the food and service were spot on 5 star..... thank you to the staff for a evening that I will always remember. BTW the garden and setting leading into The River Cafe was an added bonus.

1  Thank Jenor9