“A must on your bucket list! Superb food, ambiance,views and service!”
Review of The River Cafe

The River Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
The River Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 5,607 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Old Fulton St.
Transit: A or C train to High Street/Brooklyn Bridge; 2 or 3 train to Clark Street; F train to York St.; Bus #41 to Old Fulton St./Cadman Plaza West
Description: The River Cafe is open for Dinner service every day of the year. Dinner service begins at 5:30 Lunch is served on Saturday from 11:30 AM until 2:30 PM Brunch is served on Sunday from 11:30 AM until 2:30 PM
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Do not miss the chance to eat here! And be sure to ask for a window seat! A must for every visitor to the big apple!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,369)

Reviewed November 12, 2012

It's so sad that this beautiful restaurant was decimated by the Superstorm. The food was delicious, well prepared and served by a dedicated staff. The view was magnificent both in the daytime at of course by night. We will miss you.

2  Thank BrooklynBubbe
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have dined in this restaurant on two occasions; the first was in August 2002 with family and second was in November 2012 with my partner. I wanted to treat my boyfriend to a romantic meal in what I thought was one of the best and most picturesque restaurants in New York. I may have built in up in my mind but nothing prepared me for how disappointed I was when we finally managed to escape the worst dining experience I've ever had!

We experienced a litany of bad service throughout the evening and spent a large part of the evening trying to catch the waiters’ attention rather than enjoying ourselves:
• We waited for our table at the bar. The barman stood in front of us and polished glasses - I had to ask twice to order drinks.
• We waited over 15 minutes for our table to be cleared after we finished our starters. When we (finally) caught the attention of a waiter and asked would he mind clearing the table he replied that that wasn’t his job.
• We had to wave(!) at the waiters to ask them for water and a wine list. We were not given either at the beginning of the meal.
• Our mains arrived and a few bites in we bought commented how incredibly salty both dishes were. I have never returned a dish but my steak was unbelievably salty and my boyfriend’s lamb was too. We sat for 10 minutes and again tried to catch someone’s attention. Finally the maître d came over and we explained the problem. Both he and the chef agreed that the two were very salty and we would have new dishes as soon as possible. Accidents happen, although I was surprised at how such a “reputable” kitchen could have been so liberal with its seasoning.... The maître d was very apologetic and provided us with a number of tasters while we waited for our new main courses. I will note that he was the only accommodating member of the restaurant’s staff we encountered.
• When the bill arrived we were pretty amazed to find that a service charge, of approx. $70, had been applied, all things being considered. Whilst waiting for a waiter to collect payment we noticed one of the waiters coughing in to his hand and continuing on to wait tables and another waiter walking around the dining room eating! When another waiter arrived to collect payment we told him that we were not paying the service charge as we felt that the service had been very poor and that we had sent our main courses back for being too salty. He actually smirked at us, took the cardholder off the table, snapped it shut and walked off without a response!! He returned 15 minutes later to tell us that the maître d had removed the service charge and two drinks. We never received an apology for the poor service.

The whole experience left an awful taste in our mouths – and not just a salty one! We nearly ran out of the restaurant after three and a half hours. I think the problem is that the River Cafe caters for tourists and not repeat customers and as a result care very little for the service they provide. I waited tables in college and I remember being told that "good, friendly service can make an average meal a great experience, however poor and rude service turns an excellent meal into a bad experience"; this is something The River Cafe simply does not abide by.

I would recommend anyone visiting New York to avoid this restaurant.

6  Thank Fiona K
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This restaurant is located right under the Brooklyn Bridge with unbelievable views of Manhattan. The food was great (somewhat pricy, but worth it).

Note: I tried going there in early November 2012, but they were closed to clean up from the flooding. Call and make sure they are open before you go.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We visited The River Cafe for Sunday Brunch the day before hurricane sandy hit. The food and service were nothing short of exemplary. Could not fault the place, the food or the staff. I hope they get over the flooding they suffered as a result of the hurricane and reopen soon.