“Rehearsal Dinner Great!”

Ranked #804 of 5,363 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: WHAT IS MAISON MAY? Physically, it is two distinct places: Maison May Dekalb & Maison May Vanderbilt. Created & led by Catherine May, it is retelling the story of what restaurant business is all about. Maison May is an ethos, a way of operating rooted in replenishing, feeding & empowering. More than a business model, Maison May is a way of living. Maison May Dekalb: 246 DEKALB AVE, BROOKLYN 718-789-2778 Brownstone Weddings Private Events Brunch on Weekends Dinners Maison May Vanderbilt: 270 VANDERBILT AVE, BROOKLYN 718-789-2778 Breakfast & Lunch Café & Patisserie Private Dinners Drop-off Menus Objects
NYC
“Rehearsal Dinner Great!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We've been fans of iCi since we moved to the neighborhood several years ago, having brunch there one weekend day almost weekly. So, when it came time to choose a venue for our wedding rehearsal dinner, last year, iCi was a natural choice. There's a large space upstairs from the restaurant dining area that is used for events. The evening was perfect. We had about 40 guests. The room was set up simply and beautifully as we'd requested, the food, served "family style" (we'd chosen the menu in advance) was delicious and the service was excellent - all as we had expected. Our guests were all impressed, too.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank LizLS55

St. Petersburg, Florida
“Pretty good place in Brooklyn.....”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I have been to this place 3 or 4 times because it is a few blocks away from our daughter's home and we have always liked the food. This time we went there on a Tuesday night with some friends we had not seen in a few years. Knowing that the wives had some catching up to do, we choose it because we knew that in a week night it would be quiet, perfect for long conversations. And so it was.

ICI is a small restaurant. They also have an outside patio in the back which is very nice in the summer. Their thing is that everything they serve is fresh and local. I have found it to be mostly true. I say that because my wife had cod which is not probably something fished locally but surely as fresh as it can be. She was not too hungry so the cod was in dumplings which were really an appetizer. She said they were delicious. She also had a salad of spinach and onions which I did taste and found it excellent. I had swordfish in on a green salad base with a sauce that was great tasting but really have no idea what was in it. I also had roasted cauliflower. I had never had it but the wife of my friend said hers was the best so on that basis I decided to give it a try and found it to be excellent also.

My friend had scallops which he said were also excellent and the same salad my wife had. Unfortunatelly, I do not recall what his wife had. Because he wanted to drink beer, I did the same. I ordered a dark Belgian one which was pretty good but at $10 for bottled beer found it somewhat on the expensive side.

Our friends said they usually did not have desert so we also decided to skip it. This was an excellent meal and both our friends found it to be so. Because they also have a daughter living in the area, they mentioned that they would be back.

The service was very good. The prices somewhat on the high side-my fish was $23 and the roasted cauliflower $8 (all sides are extra). My wife's cod was $11 (it was an apetizer) and her salad $8. This place is not a feeder, there is enough to be satisfied but not overwhelmed with food. But the quality makes up more than enough for the less quantity. With the tax and tip our tab was $80 which is about what other places in the area of similar quality woud cost but we did not have dessert.

I would rate this restaurant a 4.5/5 but there is no way of doing that.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Pawnee7
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice choice for brunch in Brooklyn”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Our party of four were walk-ins for brunch. We were immediately greeted, asked if we preferred the garden (we did!) and seated. We were delighted with our latte - a generous bowl of coffee - and fresh orange juice. The potato-leek soup was excellent, not oversalted, and served with cornbread croutons. The smoked salmon plate was also generous with plenty of fresh onion and cheese spread. The cheese plate featured three different types with toasts, apple butter and hazelnuts in honey - delicious! The poached eggs could easily be shared by two. Our only quibble was the cheese grits - bland, lacking in...something. Very nice, chill vibe. A few couples with children, strollers parked outside. Happy to recommend this neighborhood gem. TIP: Cash only for brunch. TIP: So many garden rooms in New York have turned into smokers' venues - this is NOT the case here. The garden is smoke-free, so enjoy!

• Visited October 2012
Mamaroneck, New York
“Nice Neighborhood Restaurant”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We had brunch inside, for the garden was filled. We were told no reservations for parties less than six for brunch, so we took a chance. Cash only payment for brunch; whereas, cards accepted for other meals. We had a basket of premises baked pastries, fresh strawberry preserves also made on premises: delicious. The french toast came thick, soft, and sweet, with fresh berries. Blood orange drinks, delicious Jasmine Serendipitea. Nice coffee/tea cups, thin bone china adding to the delicate fragrance and taste. My hanger steak on brioche, with humous was a delicious meal, served with home fries with a homemade ketchup. BLT with thickest-cut bacon, arugala, tomatoes, tasty. Poached eggs were well-formed and ready for the slap bacon and mutli-grain toast. An upbeat eatery for the local families. Will try dinner.

• Visited August 2012
“Atmosphere +, Food + Service -”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is a beautifully designed space, with wonderful outdoor seating and a peaceful atmosphere. The service however, is sub-par to embarrassing. We waited twenty minutes just for someone to remember they hadn't taken our order! Then it was another 30 minutes for our food. Finally our food came, and yes, the portions are small compared to most American restaurants that serve way too much, but it's enough to fill you up (remember: This place is French!). We had the brunch menu omelette and BLT, which were very flavorful and reasonably priced.

• Visited July 2012