“I don't see what the hype was about”
Review of Maison May

Maison May
Ranked #1,012 of 5,416 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: WHAT IS MAISON MAY? Physically, it is two distinct places: Maison May Dekalb & Maison May Vanderbilt. Created & led by Catherine May, it is retelling the story of what restaurant business is all about. Maison May is an ethos, a way of operating rooted in replenishing, feeding & empowering. More than a business model, Maison May is a way of living. Maison May Dekalb: 246 DEKALB AVE, BROOKLYN 718-789-2778 Brownstone Weddings Private Events Brunch on Weekends Dinners Maison May Vanderbilt: 270 VANDERBILT AVE, BROOKLYN 718-789-2778 Breakfast & Lunch Café & Patisserie Private Dinners Drop-off Menus Objects
New York City, New York
“I don't see what the hype was about”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Cons:
Very small portions
Boring menu
Sub-par service

Pros:
Great location
Nice Atmosphere

Basically what “No hear-hear for Ici” by diebzak said

• Visited June 2012

Ankeny, Iowa
“iCi is great!!”
Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

We visited iCi on May 25. We could not have been more warmly served by the talented wait staff. We found the owner very friendly and were fascinated as she described her French heritage and journey through the restaurant business. The superior chef prepared us our meals of stone bass, pork chops, seared duck and cavetelli. All dishes were superb. The dessert of flourless chocolate cake, goat cheese cheesecake and custard was inspired. A varied beer menu of local micro-brews (No Budweiser, thank God) and an extensive wine list. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening! We heartily recommend iCi. We respect the local and organic emphasis of the restaurant. We think the commitment to local and organic is rewarding and self-sustaining. iCi should be heavily supported by the community. Local buying makes sense and is very health for you too.

New York City
“No hear-hear for Ici”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My family and I went to Ici for Mother's Day, having read reviews on Yelp and other places. My wife wanted to eat in a garden setting, which Ici certainly provided. It is a nice space hung with lights and containing French-style park chairs and tables. The interior of the restaurant looked very nice -- simple but stylish, on the ground floor of a nice brownstone.

After the good initial impression, things started to go a bit awry. We waited at least ten minutes for anyone to approach us (except for someone with some water) and had to ask a passing server if we could order drinks. The drinks -- a martini and a julep-type concoction -- were good.

We then ordered some artisinal (hate that word!) cheeses and some olives and a squid salad appetizer. The cheeses were very good; the olives so-so and the squid somewhat disappointing -- a few bits of fish on a bed of mesclun (though the dressing was fine).

The wine list was interesting, though our by-the-glass wines were disappointing. I ordered a Touraine, which is of course a sauvignon blanc. It was either off or unlike any Touraine I have had. I told the server, who understood me to have just disliked it rather than having a problem. I asked for another type of wine, which was fine. She charged me for the wine which I had rejected, but because she had not charged us for one of the cocktails, I didn't mention it.

Which brings me to the service. Overall it was somewhat lackadaisical, at least from our server. As my wife remarked, it seemed like our server was a comp lit major who would rather have been curled up with a book.

So it was on to the main course. I chose the fish special (cod), my wife had halibut and our kids shared a steak. Both fish dishes tasted good, very good, in fact, but the portions were very small. The steak, which turned out to be a cut-up sirloin -- not what we imagined-- also was very small and was overcooked (we had ordered medium-rare). The portions could have been 50 percent bigger without getting anywhere near the over-the-top portions often found in America. It all seemed a little mean (in the sense of miserly).

Given that things were so slow and the kids were getting restless, we decided to skip desert. The check came to $160, which I thought was a bit steep for the level of service and the quantities of food.

Overall, I don't think I would go back to Ici. As I said, the food was good in general, but the lack of professional service and tiny portions does not recommend me to it again. A pity, because the setting is nice and with just a few changes it could be a very good restaurant.

• Visited June 2011
Bronxville, New York
“A Little Gem in Fort Greene”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Small, attractive, and with a lovely garden, Ici is a charming bistro in the Fort Greene section of Brooklyn about ten blocks from BAM. The service is efficient and pleasant, there is full bar service, and the prices are reasonable. Wisely, the chef keeps the menu short, adding a few specials nightly. Good bread and excellent salads always tip you off that fine entrees will follow. And by all means order the outstanding ricotta fritters for desert.

• Visited April 2012
New York City, New York
“Enjoyable, Hip Atmosphere with Great Food”
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Friendly service and a clean, sylish decor invite you to this pleasant restaurant with seasonal, fresh ingredients.
The 3-course pre-fixe menu is a great deal.
I thought the soup of the day (a root vegetable soup with bacon) was delicious. The braised lamb parpadelle was fresh and terrific. The spiced cake dessert was a great finish, light and flavorful.
I didn't leave any leftovers, and I would be happy to return to this restaurant.