“Great neighborhood bistro”

Henry's End Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Henry's End Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 5,349 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
NY
“Great neighborhood bistro”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

My husband and I spent an overnight at the nearby Brooklyn Bridge Marriott and asked the concierge for dinner recommendations. Henry's End was immediately suggested. After researching online reviews, we went ahead and gave it a try. We tried to make a reservation but when we called, we were told that only parties of 5 or more could hold a reservation. So, we walked about fifteen minutes to the restaurant from the hotel and decided to take our chances.

We arrived at 9:10 PM on a Saturday and it was jammed full. After only about ten minutes we were seated. This is a small restaurant and the tables are REALLY close together. But somehow it didn't feel as dreadful as that sounds. It was really cozy and okay, not cramped. The decor is warm and rustic - exposed brick walls, slate stone tables, relatively low light with votive candles on the tables. You can see the two chefs working in the small galley kitchen which is virtually part of the small dining room - it's all so cozy that nobody goes unseen in this place, even the cooks. The bathrooms are unisex and clean.

There are many wines served by the glass. The wine and beer list is eclectic and has great variety. The dining menu is also rather eclectic. Many locally sourced and very seasonal items will be found. For example, we were able to enjoy fiddlehead ferns as a side dish, as they are presently in season - and their annual season is about six weeks long. This is the kind of restaurant that will find those special ingredients and feature them prominently.

We shared a Caesar salad and asked them to hold the croutons. The salad was fresh and delicious and had lots of small capers sprinkled throughout, as well as whole anchovies on top. I then had the Mediterranean salmon dish. It was very strongly spiced - not "hot" spicy but very deeply seasoned. It was a bit heavy relative to other salmon preparations I have often had, and I couldn't eat much of it for that reason, but the fish itself was cooked perfectly. My husband had the steak au poivre, which he felt was made with an excellent cut of meat however there were TOO MANY whole peppercorns in the sauce. I know, I know, that's what steak au poivre is - it's not the fault of the restaurant - but he would have preferred fewer peppercorns, or at least if they were coarsely ground and not entirely whole. So, if you are tempted to order this, be sure that you love whole peppercorns and lots of them.

We did not get dessert but boy was I tempted when I saw banana custard on the menu. Actually, the whole dessert menu looked great.

Special shout-out to our server, Wes, who took very good care of us and made the evening really lovely.

Also, just a note about kids - unless your kids have a very sophisticated palate, I would not recommend this as a place for them. The foods on the menu are rather complex, something many children would not appreciate.

All in all,we would definitely return when back in Brooklyn Heights.

• Visited April 2014

New York, New York, United States
“Favorite Old Standby”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Recently returned to Henry's End, which was a favorite place I dined at weekly back in the 1990s when I lived in Brooklyn. Not much has changed, and that's a good thing. The menu still features a host of duck entrees (I had the duck with strawberry, which was the daily special), dishes with andouille and veals. The breadbasket still has the anise flavored fruit bread which lived up to its memory. The wine and beer menus, while not expansive, are great. The desserts, and even our waitress, were still the same! Henry's End may not be the hip place it was in 1990 -- I'm far less hip too -- but it's still the same old dark little hole on the other side of the river that puts out a great meal.

• Visited April 2014
Brooklyn
“The best”
Reviewed April 16, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Small gem in the nabe. Food is great, service is professional and friendly. Bonnie is the best waitress in NY. Many, including me, go there to see her smiling face. Wish there were more like her! Sole citron, Duck dishes, the game menu.....delish.

Visited March 2014
Allendale, New Jersey
“Delicious!”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

All four of us loved our meals at Henry's End last Saturday night. We needed a 5:30 reservation so that we would be finished in time to walk (10 min) to Bargemusic at 7. The waitstaff had been alerted to this, and, despite the place filling up quickly, we were treated well in an efficient manner and not rushed at all. We ordered the Corn Crab Cakes and Wild Mushroom Salad appetizers, both of which were amazing. Each of our mains were extremely tasty, as well: Mustard Seed Crusted Tuna, Steak Au Poivre, Chicken with Goat Cheese & Fig Jam and Duckling with Wild Mushroom & Lingonberry. As soon as we arrived and having mentioned bringing a homemade cake, the waiter offered to put it aside for us. More comments - good assortment of breads, water glasses filled regularly, attentive and friendly service, good assortment of wines by the glass and beers. We will definitely eat here again when in this area of Brooklyn.

• Visited March 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great neighbourhood restaurant with sublime winelist”
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

This is a fine, old-established restaurant in Brooklyn Heights. The food and service are superb (although maybe not a veggie hangout) and they have a fine US winelist. The special feature is a winelist of old wines at affordable prices . I'm almost loth to give away the secret. In fact, I'm going to tease you. If you like fine mature wines at prices you can afford, come here. If you're a yuppie who wants to show off, keep away.A fantastic discovery.

• Visited February 2014