“Hotdogs”

Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Coney Island
Reviewed July 27, 2016 via mobile

Nathan's. Hotdogs, burgers, clams, fries. Works for me - world famous, plus the infamous July 4th Hotdog eating contest, Coney Island Original. What more can I say. From this Brooklynite to all of you, go as often as you can. Its fun

Date of visit: February 2016
Write a reviewReviews (1,963)

Reviewed July 26, 2016

Classic Americana. Hotdogs, beach, Coney Islad and July 4th. We had to have a dog and get the t-shirt. We were here for the contest and 100 years of Nathan's Hotdogs. Dogs are longer than bun length and a little tougher skin than most. Service on the boardwalk was a little slow and it wasn't even the lunch crowd yet.

Reviewed July 26, 2016 via mobile

Well; what else can you say about a landmark Hot Dog heaven.. Been here for ever.. Nathan himself had a wagon he sold them from., it became the best place for "Franks" probably in the country., Now it's too crowded in the Summer.. Very expensive for a Dog, and some homeless walking about.. They actually live under the Boardwalk in the Summer Months, otherwise still a great Dog.

Reviewed July 25, 2016 via mobile

For me, Nathans holds a special place in my heart. Coney Island was an amazing childhood memory. During the summers of the 60s and 70s, my dad would pack us all in the 59 Pontiac and we'd head to Coney Island to watch the fireworks show.

Either before or after the show, we'd hit the back of the line, which was usually twenty people deep.

When it was our turn our choices varied as much as the fireworks display. Mom would get a Chow Mein on a bun, dad, my brother and myself would get the hot dogs and the best fries in the world.

Their hotdogs are amazing. They snap, or crack when you bite them. I'm no joey walnuts, but on a good day I can put down a good amount of dogs and fries.

As I matured, I began ordering the raw clams. I lived in Sheepshead Bay Brooklyn and clams on the half shell were a staple in our diet.

Nathans had some of the best clams I've ever eaten. Try then the next time you find yourself in Coney Island.

My all time favorite were the frog legs. They deep fry them and they are some of the best frog legs I've ever had. If you've never had them, they're like nothing you've ever eaten. They don't taste like chicken. As far as I'm concerned, they taste like a cross between fowl and fish. Do yourself a favor, order the frog legs and clams.

They have the best french fries compared to any restaurant I've ever eaten in. They claim they haven't ever changed the oil, but I think they have...... once.

My negative is the cost. To feed a family of four, it may cost you as much as a sit down restaurant meal. I know that it's the whole Coney Island, beach, boardwalk experience, but if you're going to do it, search for coupons. I belong to the Nathans coupon club. You can find it on line.

If you can't make it to Brooklyn, pick up a pack at the market. But don't boil them. Sure dirty water dogs are great, but cook these on a griddle until they're crisp. As for the fries, you'll never duplicate that Coney Island flavor. Is not fair, but that's the mystique of Coney Island.

Reviewed July 25, 2016 via mobile

A step up from a classic Dirty Water Dog the Nathan's hot-dog is a mind-altering religious experience for anyone who's never had one is a little pricey but worth it for any tourist the experience is the Nathan experience