“Way over rated and not at all good. A tourist trap”

Peter Luger Steak House
Ranked #39 of 6,797 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Williamsburg
Reviewed May 30, 2019

Emperor's New Clothes again... why can nobody admit that this landmark that once may have been good is now absolutely terrible? Yes, it still has atmosphere... but outrageous prices and mediocre food are not a good combination.

Gummy shrimp cocktail, expensive tomatoes that are not very sweet in the tomato and onion salad, good bacon strip, the steak is not very tasty and I have had much better steaks at any number of local bistros or farm to table Brooklyn restaurants..
celebrated german potatos were like bad home fries at a terrible diner.

All that for $150/person.

What a waste of money.

5  Thank Gilhoop S
Write a reviewReviews (4,859)

Reviewed May 29, 2019

I have not been here in years and finally fulfilled a promise to my two sons to take them here for what I hoped would be the best steak of their lives (so far). I was worried that perhaps Luger's would not live up to my memory but I was wrong. The meal was excellent. Ordered the standard steak for 3...creamed spinach, German Potatoes. chocolate Mouse cake and schlag . Maybe the bread could have been warmed - but I'm not taking off points for that!. A word on the infamous "grumpy rude waiters". Not only was that not true but when I asked to move our table (because we were seated next to an incredibly rude family with a screaming infant who was up too late and a disinterested husband gabbing loudly on his cell phone) - the waiter and host handled it quickly and with good humor. So a fantastic meal - as great as ever!

1  Thank slscottxny
Reviewed May 29, 2019 via mobile

I attended a meeting with dinner at Peter Luger Steak House in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY on May 7, 2019, hosted by Thrivent Financial, a very reputable US life insurance company. The waiters were friendly, attentive, even enthusiastic. Peter Luger has a full bar service and also stocks excellent wines. I enjoyed their martini. They served us a thick slab of grilled bacon as an appetizer and it was “hog-wild” delicious. A crispy romaine salad with Romano cheese and Parmesan dressing followed, including a tray of sliced tomatoes and sliced onions. Their baked rolls and breads were light and fluffy. Then came the choice of entree: baked lamb chop or baked salmon, with roasted potatoes, spinach and asparagus. I chose the baked lamb chop; it was juicy and tasty. The dessert platter consisted of various slices of cakes: among them were cream cheese cake and chocolate mousse cake. Coffee, decaf coffee and tea accompanied dessert. At the last, the waiters also brought out chocolate “coins” stamped “Peter Luger” wrapped in gold foil. What bliss! I plan on coming back here with my 3 grown children and giving them the culinary treat of their lives. Well done, Peter Luger and staff. Being here made me feel like an audience member/ active participant in a food show! Thank you for the mouth-watering memories.

1  Thank 512LindeB
Reviewed May 28, 2019 via mobile

It was my first time at Peter Luger and I have to say that it did not amazed me. I was expecting so much more and it was just on average. Steak was ok, but it was the same quality as steaks at other steak houses, nothing remarkable. Appetizers and sides were ok as well, but again, you can get the same elsewhere.

2  Thank dayanaemme
Reviewed May 27, 2019

We had read great reviews for this historic steakhouse, and although we needed to make a reservation a month in advance for dinner we settled for a late luncheon which worked fine for our schedule. I love a good ribeye and the pictures reflected well prepared excellent quality steaks. Our was well seasoned and prepared perfectly at medium rare plus. We had a side of mushrooms and french fries which were fine. Cash or debit card only for a relatively pricey lunch seemed unusual so I docked them 1 star.

3  Thank John H