“worth the trip to Brooklin”

Peter Luger Steak House
Ranked #39 of 6,797 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Williamsburg
Reviewed May 17, 2019

Was invited by my customer in this restaurant for lunch , after one hour queue ( need to book in advance for sure) we had a table on the first floor , waiter was super nice and friendly , had amazing piece of beef and a good bottle of wine , quite pricey for lunch but it seems quality has a price. Only bad point accept only cash , no credit cards which in the US is quite weird.

Date of visit: May 2019
Write a reviewReviews (5,028)

Reviewed May 14, 2019 via mobile

Wow. Been visiting New York for decades, but yet to have the pleasure to visit this historic place. All I have to say is that it is everything it is made out to be. The steaks were amazing but, the setting makes it. What a great place.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed May 14, 2019 via mobile

Fabulous steak, tasty spinach and fries but at these prices, then they should be. Great service from our waiter but the barman who banged my wine down in front of me, spilling a good amount on the counter, was right when he said service was not included for these drinks, he was so right, a very poor first impression but he still thought he was worth 20%.
If you have plenty of money, then I would still recommend visiting this Brooklyn institution, just get your drinks at the table.

1  Thank Chris812283
Reviewed May 13, 2019

Found this place back in 1979 when I lived in Brooklyn for six months. Now when I return to NYC for any reason I make a point to return. Why? Because the place never disappoints.
The porterhouse steak is as good as you will find at any of the high priced steakhouses across the country. Seared on the outside and still as pink as you like it on the inside. Other menu choices (vegetables and appetizers) have been expanded over the years, but the tomato with onion salad and the thick cut slice of bacon are worth a try. Onion rings are perfectly cooked, and the taste is such that nothing else has been cooked in that oil.
A holy cow for desert should only be for the truly hungry, or shared with a best friend.
Not cheap and cash only, which can put off some people, but there is a reason I come back time after time - the steak is best I've had. Even when I cook at home.

1  Thank Dankick
Reviewed May 13, 2019 via mobile

Was in the city for my mums 60th and we’d organised a few places to eat. My brother kept talking about this place so we made a reservation in advance.
The food here is simply amazing. The best steak I’ve ever had period. Cooked to perfection , medium rare.
We ordered the steak for 4 and it was more than enough with a few sides to share for 4 people family style.
Wine menu is extensive, with some good choices for $70-90 a bottle. Pinot noir was a great compliment for the meal.
Service was good, with the server suggesting a few things but since my brother had been before we were also quick with what we wanted.
Note for tourists, it’s cash only if you do not have an American bank card. No credit cards!
There are a few atm’s around the restaurant, with one right next to it.
Will definitely be back!