“Best Steak”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is the best steak I have eaten. I don't live in NY anymore, but whenever I have the chance to visit, Peter Luger's is at the top of my to do list. Some poeple complain about the basic decoration and the lack of table clothes, but I love the simpliity of the place which creates a sincere atmosphere. Maybe not the best place for a work dinner, but the best steak in my humble opinion.

There are newer reviews for Peter Luger Steak House

Reviewed October 14, 2012

After living and travelling in out of NYC for the last decade I finally made the pilgrammage to Luger's at long last. This place is all about the atmosphere and feeling nostalgic. We had a good meal and a lot of fun but for me, Del Friscos is still tops for the variety of food on the menu, convenience, and being able to use a credit card. This was not the greatest steak for me, as it is to some, but we had a great time and everyone should go at least once!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I am a steak eater. To me, a fine cut of steak is heaven on earth. Going down to Brooklyn from Connecticut, I told everyone in the car to lower our expectations. There is no way this steak will be the best we have ever tasted. Right? Wrong. The first bite was all I needed. This is the best steak I have ever eaten. Period.
I have eaten everywhere. You name the steakhouse, I have been there. This tops them all.
The place could be decorated better. The tables could have tablecloths. But do you really come here for the decor? No. You come for the best steak on the Eastcoast.
Note. For appitizers get the bacon with tomatoes and onions.
Did I mention the price? It's cheaper than most other steakhouses.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Greetings. My name is Marc. I dined at Peter Lugers for the first time last night in Brooklyn. I want to share my experience from the beginning to the end.
1. The parking lot, although small is great! It's free and they even have a person watching the cars, which is almost a necessity in Williamsburg.
2. Upon entering the Restaurant with my party of 4, we were not greeted, we had to walk past the bar and find the check in counter.
3. The person at the check in was well mannered, checked our reservations and directed us to wait until called.
4. Now, the place was busy, people were waiting all along the wall across from the bar and at the bar. We found a place with a few chairs by the dining room on the first floor. We were against the wall, waiting.
5. Waiters were flying by, working very hard, all with sour pusses on their faces. I didn't see 1 smile. But 1 stood out the most, as he flew by each time, he YELLED to waiting customers, " EXCUSE ME". Then a second time, " COMING THROUGH". A third time he actually yelled out "JESUS CHRIST". Very unprofessional, rude and disrespectful to me, my party, the other customers and GOD! He worked on the first floor. (I'll explain that later)
6. While we were waiting, i decided to get a drink from the bar, so I walked up to the bar and attempted to make eye contact with the bar tender, but each time he would look at me, he would not acknowledge me and just look the other way. He did this at least 3 times. My party then decided to approach the bar and we all sat down, he then approached us, with a sour puss on his face, no greeting whatsoever and rudely asked us what we wanted. Well it was an uncomfortable experience.
7. We were finally called and lead upstairs, and very properly greeted by the upstairs staff. They actually smiled and looked like they were happy to be there. The dining experience upstairs was exceptional. The waiter, I forgot his name but he was from Hungary, was everything the downstairs staff were not, professional, well mannered, smiled and just an all around people person.
8. The steak we ordered was for the Porterhouse for 4, (not much of a selection) was cooked to our liking. The dessert was good. we had a good time upstairs.
9. So here it is, the staff downstairs was the "older" crew. There were all rude, unprofessional and disrespectful. They all walked around with sour pusses on their faces. They made us feel anything but welcome. The upstairs crew was the "younger crew". The complete opposite. They all smiled, made us feel welcome and looked happy to be there. They were very professional.
I'll finish with this: I have dined at many steak restaurants all over the east coast. I'm not a food critic, but I think I know what good food and good service should be.
Peter Lugers Pro's:
1. Upstairs service is professional.
2. The steak was good. On a scale of 1-10 I would say it was an 8.
3. The parking lot is a great idea, especially free parking.
Peter Lugers Con's:
1. Downstairs staff, (waiters and bar tender) rude, unprofessional and disrespectful.
2. Very limited beef selection for a steakhouse. (porterhouse or ribeye)
3. Decor is outdated .
I will not go back. The attitude there is clearly one that you are lucky to be there, not, we are happy to have you.

3  Thank Marc C
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Every time I visit NYC I venture on the subway to Brooklyn. I walked the two blocks n go to this awesome steakhouse. No credit cards(?) all cash or debit. The steak is awesome. We order beef for 3 if we are 4. Three sides more than enough, one sundae for three. The bread is not good. The service is the best. It took me one hr and fifteen minutes from the time I went in to the time I was getting out of the door. The waiter will call u a taxi n will be ready for you when u r done.. We were four ladies so that's how we calculate the amt to order. I'm sure men eat more..