“Not your regular American pizza”

Grimaldi's Pizzeria
Ranked #146 of 5,673 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Thin-crusted and baked to the perfection. A great pre-sunset program is to walk down there from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. Waiting lines are common out front.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,004)

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had always wanted to try this place as I had heard about the excellent pizza, but had read about the long waits,,which I was prepared for. If you are just strolling around in Dumbo, you will not see it as it is at the far end, so remember the address. I was excited when we were able to walk right in around 10 pm on a weeknight. But it went downhill from there. First of all, I was craving a good pizza and beer! However, they had their licensed pulled, so there was NO ALCOHOL! After being seated for at least 20 minutes, there was still no waiter in sight. I finally had to get up and walk toward the bar. As I tried to motion for a Waiter our way, he hollered across the room. WuT? I am serious and he continued to walk away. Finally, I was able to wave down another waiter, who said he would be over in a minute. He took our order and later brought our pizza, but never asked if we wanted a refill or anything. Thank goodness, the pizza was fabulous! Can't say that I might ever return there as there are many great brooklyn pizzerias! Oh and don't forget cash as they do not take credit cards!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were excited to eat at Grimaldi's; we had heard many wonderful things about then wood-fired pizzas. We were completely unprepared for the hour (yes 60 minute) wait in line at 11:30am on a Saturday. (When we left, the line was even longer). The weather was nice and there were many friendly tourists so we found the time passed quickly. But, be prepared! Or, eat at a less-crowded time.

The pizzas were delicious; there are many choices. We were only disappointed that there were no salads. We and our friends enjoy salad with our pizza.

This Grimaldi's is in Dumbo (district under Manhattan Bridge overpass) which has gone from Jehovah's Witness of the 1980s to a yuppie, happening area. There is lots to see and do after lunch.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Wondering what Dumbo is? Dumbo means District under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass and once you see this sign you know you are getting close to Grimaldi's Stone Oven Pizza restaurant. The atmosphere inside Grimaldi's is observably Italian, cosy but not fancy, somewhat earthy and very, very active with tons of satisfied customers. Their menu is basic and the speciality is of course pizza - excellent pizza. We were two couples and split a large pizza and the cost - it was so so good and at a price that we all thought was reasonable. Do the walk over the Brooklyn Bridge first and work up an appetite - check your directions beforehand or ask locals for the path under the bridge and route to Grimaldi's

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We just wanted take out and after a while finally got our order in. However just before it was ready we noticed it was going to rain and asked for table, no problem we were seated right away. The food was amazing, by far the best I've had. We didn't get water right away, but it was quite busy so we understood. Overall we had a great meal, but the service could be improved.