See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 9, 2018

Like other bookings we arrived to find one of two single rooms had been "cancelled". I'm beginning to think maybe they overbook, then cancel rooms in the hope people don't turn up? I requested they find me a room, given that I had not cancelled it and it was 9pm on a Thursday night, and was told they had no availability but I could "use the wifi" to find myself somewhere else to stay and they would even cancel the second room free of charge as a gesture of goodwill(!). Long story short, we refused to leave and after about 20 minutes of back and forth a twin room was miraculously found as being available. We were told the other single room would be cancelled and not charged.

With regard to the property, other than it being clean, what everyone else says is accurate re noise and privacy etc so I won't repeat that.

We got home to find that the single room has been charged to card as well as the twin room - I suspect to get it refunded we will have to raise a claim with the credit card company as I strongly doubt they will even respond to an email/complaint.

The staff member we dealt with was dismissive, rude and demonstrated easily the worst customer service we experienced whilst in the US. Don't risk booking here to find yourself out on the street late at night. They simply don't care.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2018

DO NOT COME HERE, you can definitely find a much better place for a similar price.

Some of the amenities:
- The rooms are hot and very small
- The rooms have no divisions
- The train passes by all the time (yes, the hostel is under the railway)
- There is obviously a lot of noise
- The location is not good
- WIFI connection is absolutely terrible
- The lockers are very small and personal stuff does not fit in
- There is just one toilet and two showers for an entire floor
- There is no elevator and stairs are big
- People at the front desk are not helpful at all

I payed for 4 nights and left the hostel after 2 nights. I notified them that I would leave before since the very beginning (5 hours after I arrived to be precise). People at the front desk told me that they could not reimburse me the remaining 2 nights, but to contact the administration. I have sent 4 emails to them and never got a reply. This is by far the worst hostel I have ever been to.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank 660darianf
Reviewed October 7, 2018

On the day of arrival to New York we received an email saying that the card (that had already been used to pay the deposit to secure the reservation) had been declined, and were asked if there was another card we could use.

After responding that we could use another we got a response saying that the booking had been cancelled.

After stating that we had not cancelled this booking and still needed somewhere to stay they said that the booking had been cancelled automatically by hostelworld (the site we used to make the original booking). We were then asked to send photos of our ID and the front and back of our alternative bank card "very quickly" if we wanted to rebook the room.

With the mysterious cancellation and the urgency to gain new bank details we felt uncomfortable to stay here and decided to find accommodation else where.

After since reading the reviews on here it appears that cancellation and double booking are common from this hostel and all seems rather sketchy.

Although we never even made it to this hostel I would dave yourself any potential hassle or scam - WOULD NOT RECOMMEND BOOKING HERE

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2018 via mobile

This place gets -9000 points from me.

My review is based on the encounter with only one of their employees, and I did not get to see the inside of the rooms.

I was greeted by one of the most unfriendly and dissociative people I've ever encountered. Upon telling me my reservation was canceled she picked up the phone without telling me anything and started speaking a foreign language for five minutes. I didn't speak that particular foreign language, so she could have been talking about the weather for all I know.
After putting down the phone I asked her to explain why they had canceled my reservation, where to she replies that I had cancelled it. (I later checked my email account and saw that I got an email from the booking service an hour prior to my arrival, when I was still at airport, stating that the "property owner" had canceled my reservation...).
After I repeatedly insisted, she then reluctantly looked at her computer to see if I could book a different room for me stay for the three nights I needed, but they could only accommodate me one night.

I then left the counter and immediately tried to find accommodations elsewhere. Luckily, I succeeded. When I then approched the same woman at the counter to tell her about this she grunted at me and turned around.

Bravo. This employee officially set my standards for how NOT to behave as a human being. Maybe she had had a suuuper day bad, but to behave like that in front of a customer in need is just horrible.

Even though this is only based on one experience with them, I will never return here. Life's too short.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

Avoid this place if you can. The bad reviews are true. I have stayed in many hostiles before and this is definitely my worst experience. It’s like a shelter with 3/4 walls separating you from everyone else.

I booked a private room. As mentioned in other reviews the walls do not go up to the ceiling. You will hear EVERY noise from your entire floor. Toilets flushing, people snoring, talking, doors slamming. I wish I had known this before booking. There are quiet hours at night but guests do not follow this. It will also never be completely dark at night as the lights in the hallway are on and light will filter into your room.

I only managed to get about 2-3 hours of sleep per night- and that was with earplugs and a sleep mask.

The subway noise from the elevated J subway train across the street just makes it worse.

There is hardly any ventilation as all of your air comes from the gap in the ceiling. The air conditioning only comes on intermittently and it gets pretty hot before it comes on.

The shared bathrooms are tiny and if there is more then a few people in there it is hard to move. The shower has no pressure and is basically a trickle of water.

There is no elevator so you have to carry your bags up very steep and long staircases.

The only good things that I can say about this place is that it was clean. Otherwise it was a bad experience. I wanted to leave but there are no refunds. Never again.

Date of stay: September 2018