“Still going strong”
Review of Bar Tabac

Bar Tabac
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar Tabac is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #167 of 5,604 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Since Robin du Bois closed this is now the go to French theme bistro on Smith Street. It is more contrived and business like but it does deliver. It is the most authentic design that you can forgive the neo-French food-court concept. But a lot of the staff are French and they are all professional and charming. The drink selection is high quality and reasonably priced, whether wine, beer or aperitifs. The food is standard Bistro fare plus they always have more ambitious specials. It's a very good place with very good prices. The only negative is that it can get crowded particularly for brunch.
On my last visit the quality and choice of specials was impressive. They still seem to be working hard to make every diner satisfied.
The out door dining is on two busy streets. It is good to see the people strollers but you also have tolerate the motor traffic.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Visited last summer. The food is good, nothing to write home about, and prices are decent. However, the restaurant is pretty loud and my boyfriend and I had a hard time hearing each other.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

We visited here this past June, and left thoroughly happy and satisfied. The ambiance is lovely, the decor is quaint, and once you sit down you feel instantly transported. The food was excellent, and touched on all classic French flavors. Having dined at another French place within walking distance to this one, I felt this one took the reigns as far as food, atmosphere, and authenticity. We started with the pate, following with the coq au vin and hanger steak. Very tasty, and memorable. The only downfall I'd have to report would be our waitress, she seemed new and very out of the loop with what was going on. It took her a long time to do everything, from simply taking our orders to running the credit card. I totally understand being new on the job, (especially a stressful one such as waitressing) but I feel that on such a busy day they shouldn't have had a completely inexperienced waitress flying solo. All in all, fantastic...and would highly recommend it.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

This is a fun place to eat at any time, but particularly fun when they have the annual Bastille Day celebration. They serve the typical bistro French fare and brunches on Saturdays and Sundays. It is may be more about atmosphere than food, but it is worth a try.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I went here for dinner with my family. Had the duck confit and my dad had the almond trout. The food was wonderful, however the waitress (Timoney) had an attitude bigger than the restaurant. If you asked for anything she'd walk away cursing. My dad asked for just a little less almonds on his trout---and you would have though he asked her to Go Fishing!!! I wish I knew the French muttering she did went she strutted off after that. Unbelievable service. And be aware they only take American Express--no other credit cards.