“WOW - what a fun, funky restaurant and unique experience”
Review of Madiba

Madiba
Ranked #230 of 5,545 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: African
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Carlton Ave
Transit: G to Fulton or Clinton-Washington C to Lafayette B54 at Carlton & Dekalb (west bound) B54 at Carlton & Lafayette (east bound)
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Madiba, a tribute to Nelson Mandela, is not just a restaurant - it is an experience. It is like spending a while in another place. The look and feel of the restaurant is meant to feel like South Africa, and those from there say they have succeeded. The decor is unusual, warm, eclectic. The staff are friendly, attentive, and will even dance with you if you ask :-). The food is wonderful, different, savory (sometimes pretty spicy), and the drinks are great, fun, and potent! The 'roti' bread is one of the best breads of any nationality we'd ever had - light and flaky and buttery and almost sweet, like a cross between naan and a flat croissant - heaven. There was great music that night, which just added to the great atmosphere. Don't plan on getting in and out - they say they're on South African time, that you will wait for your food, and you will. But try to see it as an evening out and just enjoy. Totally worth it. One of the best restaurant experiences we'd all ever had.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

As a South African living in Florida, of course I would pay a visit to Madiba's when I was in the New York area. I'd heard such great things about the place that I was really excited going there. The atmospher and the decor is so authentic I felt right at home. Looking around, I was feeling very nostalgic and happy I made the trip out to Brooklyn. Its was late Sunday afternoon when I arrived and was slightly busy, the waiter told me there was two party's ahead of me and I could wait in the lounge area for a table. The party's before me were seated in about 10 minutes, I didn't mind the wait as I was just taking in my surroundings, I was surprised I wasn't offered to purchase a drink while I was waiting the the staff proceeded to forget I was even there. When another party was seated ahead of me, I called the waiter only then did she think organise a table for me after a 30 minute wait. This I must say was disappointing, but the menu soon got me all excited again and the drinks were great. The Obama Mama is definitely my favourite drink now. The food redeemed the restaurant's opinion from me, the atmosphere was wonderful but I guess the unfortunate patron that had the bad service. The location of the restaurant adds to the general ambiance of the place and on a good sunny spring day, I recommend to sit outside.

From a South African I loved the food, I'd say that the most important thing.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Went to Madiba while visiting my friend in NY, this spot is AWESOME. The scenery alone takes you on a journey to Africa, the waitress/staff was friendly and informed us that the restaurant was named after Nelson Mandela's tribe in South Africa, very interesting, especially since he is one of my favorite people!!! The food is DELICIOUS & the portions are very filling!!! I will definitely be back when I come to NY..it is truly the place to be when in Brooklyn!!
FYI: This restaurant stays extremely busy so there will be a wait to dine outside on the patio & your food order will take some time getting to you... but it's definitely worth it!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Madiba stands out in the area. It's not just a restaurant and not just a bar. The drinks and wine are poured with knowledge and everyone seems to enjoy being around their unknown neighbor. The smells come out of the kitchen and make you want to walk into the dining room and sit for dinner.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Very good meal, unique flavors and options. Started with the Samoosas & Wings for appetizer with some great South African wine. Small portions but very good to share. Had the prawns for main course with the beetroot salad & they both were incredible. Stay away from the fries, they were under cooked & just so-so. Service was good, not speedy. Albeit they were busy. Besides that I would return for sure.