“True South African food in New York”
Review of Madiba - CLOSED

Madiba
Cuisines: African
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Carlton Ave
Transit: G to Fulton or Clinton-Washington C to Lafayette B54 at Carlton & Dekalb (west bound) B54 at Carlton & Lafayette (east bound)
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Having lived in South Africa for 20 years I was very keen to try out Madiba when I recently visited New York. We made a special trip to Brooklyn to enjoy lunch at this restaurant and I was really thrilled we had made the effort. The food was a taste of a place I call home for many years. I indulged in the Oxtail and Pap (similar to polenta), my friend had the rack of ribs and my partner the curry. All off us really enjoyed our meals and found the staff to be well informed, friendly and efficient. We were so impressed we promised to go back but ran out of time. We topped of our visit by taking a ride on the Q train over Manhatten bridge back. All in all a lovely day!

1  Thank OxfordCityBreaker

Reviewed June 4, 2012

I am a South African and was so excited to hear about this restauarant. My friend and I went on a Sunday afternoon, thinking it would be quiet. It was fairly busy, but many empty tables, yet the service was terrible. The waiter clearly was not focused or had any system. He wondered around looking "lost"? Took half hour to get service, then another half an hour to be told they had no Guinness, then another half an hour for the driest, hard, chicken wings "peri-peri". The veg curry was "blah" and had to be doctored with Tabasco. Definitely not a Durban curry.

2  Thank mandy g
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I like quirky restaurants, but not this one. We waited over an hour before any food appeared, while the party sharing our refectory table ordered afterwards and got served before, and were finished by the time our food arrived. We were told it was because our order had to be cooked to order, and so there was a delay--but not even a scrap of bread appeared until we asked 55 mins. later. When the food arrived, it was OK, but the giant prawns were far from exceptional, and I really resented getting only three for $24--$8 each!! They were big, but not THAT big once the heads were removed. I think this restaurant may be good for younger, cocktail drinking types, where the food is secondary and the orders are pre-made in the kitchen (e.g. platter of cold meats). It was too noisy and too frenetic for my aging ears.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Visiting nearby and stopped in on a crowded Fri night. While larger parties were waiting we got seated immediately. Service was fine. Food was worth going back for more. Not as noisy as it seems that it will be. Friendly, warm folks. A winner!

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Today at Madiba my party of 4 adults and 2 young children had a meal that dragged on for over 2 hours, characterized by some of the most inattentive service I've ever experienced. It was over 45 minutes before anyone came to take our order and 20 minutes after that before our appetizers came. Then we waited for 45 more minutes before our entrees arrived. We had to ask for drink refills 3 times before they were served and twice we asked the waiter to replace the bottles of water on our table and the bottled were removed but never replaced. I'm a vegetarian and I ordered 3 side dishes so I could sample a variety of South African foods. I specifically asked the waiter if they were all vegetarian, he gave me a quick 'yes', but one of the 3 tasted suspiciously of bacon and because I couldn't find him again I didn't take the chance of eating 1/3 of my meal. We had been really looking forward to this brunch to celebrate our South African friend's birthday but this meal was a total letdown.