“Great atmosphere, intriguing menu, mediocre food”
Review of Convivium Osteria

Convivium Osteria
Reserve with OpenTable
Convivium Osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #592 of 5,486 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Bergen and St. Marks
Transit: ALL TRAINS TO ATLANTIC PACIFIC STATION. 2 AND 3 TO BERGEN ST.
Description: Convivium Osteria in Parkslope Brooklyn offers the best authentic Italian cuisine in a transporting, romantic setting. We have three dining rooms. The spacious and rustic Mainroom, the hidden and romantic Wine Cellar, and the quiet elusive Backroom/covered patio. Featuring the best local and all natural ingredients in dishes such as Roman braised artichokes, baby octopus salad, gnudi of spinach, ricotta, and asiago, and our famous 48 oz ribeye for two. Visit our full menu at our website
Reviewed December 24, 2012

The reviews were compelling, but the three of us were really underwhelmed on a recent evening in December. The artichokes with mint were pleasant to start, but the chicken livers wrapped in prosciutto were criminally overcooked, and a solitary quail with an overly sweet sauce was abusive at $25. After ordering the special main of the day, oxtail ragu over homemade pappardelle, the waiter returned to report it was sold out (at 8:30 with the restaurant nowhere near full). A substitute was ordered, but the waiter returned once again and announced that a special order would be made to accommodate. Too bad, as it turned out; the ragu was anonymous and the pasta thick and unappealing. Two of us had the strozzapreti with sausage and fennel pollen, but it too was simple and the pasta undistinguished. We didn't finish any of the main dishes. We were too demoralized to face dessert, and called it a night.

Wine list is a nice mix of Italian, Spanish and Portuguese offerings, somewhat aggressively priced. Service was decent.

Based on the dishes we had, the impression is of average American-Italian fare, way overpriced, not the exotic exploration of Mediterranean cuisine the menu implies.

There are too many other good places in Brooklyn; not recommended.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

This romantic little gem in Park Slope, Brooklyn, offers unique and beautifully-prepared Spanish/Basque/Portuguese/Italian fusion fare. The staff is attentive and welcoming. Best dish, in my view: Italian-style artichokes that can be eaten whole. Great wine list, too.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Excellent place with a nice intimate setting. Recommended for couples or friends. Sevice is great and food is awesome!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I ate there recently before a Dylan concert at Barclays. I was taken back to my Mediterranean roots when I first walked in the doors. The rustic ambiance made me feel as if I was back in Sicilia 40 to 50 years ago. The wine list was varied with a lot of great choices. I ate the rabbit another reminder of my roots, they gave a very healthy portion. My son (16yrs. old), surprised me when he ordered Quail and he loved it. For appetizer we had 2 orders of liver wrapped in pancetta. And the bread....wow...great sicilian crusty bread. The service was right on... We walked around thru the kitchen then downstairs to their cantina where they displayed a ton of fines wines and it was also a dining area. Nice job. I was surprised to learn they had been here a long time. Keep up the good work.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Rabbit ragu is fantastic. Wine bar is adorable and awesome decor. The sommelier was very knowledgeable and picked a great wine. Worth the trip from Rockland County, NY.