“Excellent and original meal”
Review of Aska - MOVED

Aska
Cuisines: Scandinavian, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Paris, France
“Excellent and original meal”
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

In the same vein as Noma or Fäviken, this restaurant offers the best you can find in the new wave of Scandinavian gourmet cuisine in NYC, and probably in the US. The tasting menu is both surprising and delicious.

We also went to there just to have a drink, and cocktails are also original and excellent.

Sao Paulo, SP
“Lovely meal”
Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

We had dinner there and the whole experience was really nice. Great food, staff is super friendly and welcoming, the lowlight was the coffee served after dinner, I would expect a better one to complete my experience there.

Visited May 2013
Asti, Italy
“Aska delivers a "wow!" experience”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I reserved a party of one on a late October evening out of curiosity for the first outpost of the (once) new big trend in restaurant: the verb of the Northern Cousine spread by Redzepi, Aizpitarte, Desramaults and their brave knights.
Now, this is not a venue you might just pop in by chance. Knowing it was somewhere close to me, I walked at least twice in front of the entrance before actually getting in. The setting is what you expect to find in NYC: it looks like a few tables and a pro kitchen were casually and hipsterly thrown in a modern art gallery, delivering a true "Hey I'm back!" factor on your very first visit.
I agreed for a seat at the counter, with the kitchen in full view.
It doesn't make any sense to list the dishes I ate.
I could name something like... "Beef (in bold) nasturtium" and you will not have any insight yet on the dish. Even if you were among those able (I'm not) to recall the flavour - and the scent - of a nasturzium, you still have to find for yourself how beef and nasturzium look, smell and taste togheter.
Anyway, I picked a bottle of fairly aged Mosel Riesling and let the Chef do his thing. The result was an extraordinary sequence of 8 dishes, all of them from a Scandinavian cookbook as you imagine it, presenting ingredients like oyster, cucumber, raw sunchoke, parsnip, winter leaves and, of course, nasturzium.
I was very impressed by the proper use of flowers and radishes, which can be overwhelming if misdosed. And I was also very impressed by the "Once upon a time" halo the dishes had, and I wondered if in the Nordic tales people get to eat like this, or it was my Riesling's fault.
The dinner went smoothly and lasted a couple of hours. All the dishes were presented and properly explained by someone from the kitchen staff, if not Chef Fredrik Berselius himself, in a very friendly yet professional fashion.
I have spent 79 $ plus drinks, taxes and tip and I enjoyed my flight through this very far away cousine a lot, So, if you are curious about discovering new styles, if you are already leaving quality burgers behind you and are already set up to spray lime on a tartare - pardon, cheviche - please make a stop to meet this consistent Brooklyn venue, you will not regret it.

• Visited October 2013
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Such a good meal, different to what I've had before. A real taste of Scandinavia”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My meal here was simply amazing, very humble ingredients and flavors simply presented. I was sat at the bar so I could look right in to the kitchen and as the chefs finish alot of plates at the table I even got to speak with them during service. The food is like what you would expect from a top end Scandinavian restaurant it was even served on what looked like Grandma's crockery. there was a very relaxed but energized feel to the place and a very big mix of clientele. All the staff were very friendly and the sommelier was very knowledgeable and had some great wines. All round it was a fantastic experience, and at a very modest price, it's a little out the way but very worth the trip.

• Visited October 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“the complete package”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Dined here (solo) on a busy Saturday night. This place totally gets the dining alone thing - they put me on the corner of the bar overlooking the kitchen, and there were two magazines (an awsesome chef's magazine from Europe called Fool, but that's for another review) placed in front of me. When I booked they recommended an earlier start (7pm) as the bar at the front gets very busy after 9:30 and they didn't want the dining experience to be impacted - nice touch.
For me this place ticks all the boxes. The ten course degustation was perfectly timed, impeccably plated and played with a wide range of textures and flavour combinations, some bold and others more thoughtful, but all excellent. The staff (front and back of house) are the stars of the show, the chefs bring many of the plates out and are completely comfortable out of the kitchen, and the floor staff somehow manage to make you feel like the only person in the place, welcoming you like an old friend. The wine matches were well thought out, adventurous and great value.
This place just feels good. I walked out of there feeling awesome, just the right amount of food, wine and fun. That doesn't happen very often - I'll definitely be back next time I'm in New York...

• Visited September 2013