“Very homey feel good spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fisherman's Dawta - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Fisherman's Dawta
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Jamaican
Summit
“Very homey feel good spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Today was only my second time eating at Fisherman's Dawta. Both times, my food was fresh and made to order. First time I ordered the vegetable soup with cod fritters. Delicious! Hot and pungent flavors. The lemonade was fresh squeezed and a perfect compliment. Today, I had the ackee and cod fish, with a side of rice and beans and again, the cod fritters, with a nice accompaniment of sorrel. The cod fritters are spicy, on the salty side for my palate but still good. The sorrel was delightful! If you like hibiscus, you will enjoy sorrel. The atmosphere is very tropical, friendly and welcoming. Walking in, Caribbean music is playing in the background, the aroma of good food is intoxicating. I walked in and inhaled deeply...ahhhh...I wanted everything on the menu! Seating is limited but very homey-like comfortable. The conversation is very friendly and personable; very reminiscent of my experiences in Jamaica.
I would highly recommend this restaurant and look forward to the next time!

• Visited January 2014

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Struggle to rate this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We went into this place wanting badly to like it. We wanted the jerk chicken and curried chicken to be genuine and delicious, but the empty jars of jerk marinade on the (overgrown) garden tables, while filled with some nice flowers, basically advertised that key ingredients were the same as anyone can buy to use at home. Unfortunately, things went downhill from there. We waited maybe 15 minutes to be called to pick up what we had ordered at the counter in spite of the fact that only one other table in the place had any diners at all at prime lunch hour. The food, clearly reheated and quite overcooked (one piece of the poorly hacked jerk chicken was dark brown all the way through), was served in styrofoam takeout containers with plastic utensils clearly not up to the job of cutting into chicken. The piece de resistance was the cod fritters, which we were told after 20 minutes of waiting were "freshly made" and therefore "took some time," came more than 20 minutes AFTER we had finished the other food for which we'd already waited 20 minutes. If they'd been great, we'd have considered the experience redeemed, but they were an unpleasant combination of gluey and greasy (the tamarind dipping sauce, in contrast, was quite tasty). We'd suggest that you avoid this place. There are much better options in the neighborhood (by far). And in case you're wondering, we paid $37 for this lunch for two, without counting the tip left at the counter....

• Visited September 2013