“Personalized walking tour of "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"”

Ray's Food and Walking Tours
Ranked #4 of 33 Food & Drink in Brooklyn
More attraction details
Owner description: There's no better way to see Brooklyn than with Ray's Food & Walking Tours. We offer unique tours on foot with an emphasis on food, storytelling and local culture. We keep our groups small and sample the finest food from classic New York institutions and small local vendors alike. From street art, to craft chocolate, to dazzling skyline views, we'll show you the sites that only the locals like us know. We're thrilled that you're interested in Brooklyn because this place has so much to offer. It's our pleasure to show you around.
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Our book club contacted Ray to see if he would put together a walking tour of Williamsburg, Brooklyn based on the book, "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". Historian, humorist, and incredibly nice guy, Ray immediately got to work and researched the streets, churches, junk shops, bridge, libraries and homes that were once author,Betty Smith's inspiration for her incredible book. Taking the tour with Ray brought the book alive in a way no book discussion could. A special added treat was standing on street corners listening to Ray recite passages from the book as current Williamsburg hipsters passed us by. Ray even promised that if we find another NYC novel he would make it come alive for us with a new walking tour! I highly recommend Ray's Food and Walking Tours!

4  Thank Ledell M
in 3 reviews
"williamsburg area"
"tasty treats"
in 3 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 9 reviews
"some great food"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed June 17, 2014

What a great time! I was looking for something interesting to do with my mom who was visiting and this was perfect. Ray brings the area to life, tailored the information and pace to our group and did all that with a great balance of fun and professionalism. I've lived here for 18 years and I learned wonderful new tidbits that I've shared with others already. Would highly recommend this tour group!

1  Thank hac210
Reviewed June 1, 2014

My daughters and I accompanied Ray on his Brooklyn Heights, pizza and chocolate tour, on a beautiful Saturday in the end of May. Ray was knowledgeable, personable, and full of interesting and fun facts. We enjoyed the tour so much, and would love to return to New York and participate in another tour. Some of Ray's friends from school also accompanied us, and they were a delight. Carrying water with is a good idea.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Having moved away in the 90's, we were anxious to see some of the changes in Brooklyn. Chris was our interesting and enthusiastic guide today for our walking food tour of Williamsburg. He talked to us about the history and changes in the neighborhood. As we walked and talked, Chris stopped for great food at every turn. We started with a Morir Soniando, a delicious Dominican drink, went on to tacos, too much other great food to list, and finished up with artisan chocolates. Chris was friendly and fun. The tour is a good value, and a memorable way to spend an afternoon exploring New York. Book a tour and you won't be disappointed.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I went on Ray's Food & Walking Tour in the Lower East Side last January. I was so impressed by his professionalism and overall pleasantness. He is really passionate about what he does and it certainly showed through during his tour. I grew up near the Lower East Side and he still was able to present me with all kinds of cool information I didn't already know and my boyfriend (a foreigner) still raves about the experience! I highly recommend that anyone with a passion for food and life take the time to try out one of his tours. Even though it took place in January (anyone who knows me know I loathe the cold) Ray was conscious of the fact and made sure that the sequence of his tours included lots of warm food/drinks and the sights were all pretty close to each other. Also, the price of the tour was so reasonable I got to spend my extra cash on these amazing pickles he showed us (and I loathe pickles!)

Congrats Ray, I can't wait until the next one!