“A Gem in Brooklyn”

Ranked #98 of 5,486 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Couldn't get in one evening without a reservation, but came back a few days later for lunch--no problem, glad I did. This tiny, lovely, old world restaurant is truly a find. Off the beaten path, in a gorgeous corner of Brooklyn Heights, the feel is more English pub than NY restaurant. The food is great as well. I had the stuffed Zucchini accompanied by salad and a glass of pinot griggio--a perfect lunch. Service was slow, but when you see the small open kitchen, you'll understand why. Well worth the treck, especially combined with a visit to the new Brooklyn Bridge Park nearby.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

River deli situated very close to Brooklyn Bridge park and inside lovely Brooklyn Heights historical section of Brooklyn. We enjoyed their outstanding service and food quality. We ordered Branzini and one of pasta dishes. Both dishes were cooked almost perfectly.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We were in NYC for a special occasion...my Sister walked us from her home to a neighborhood favorite. The atmosphere was extremely warm. The service was outstanding. The food was pure delicious. From the appetizers through the entrees...the only word is a family owned restaurant with excellence. I would suggest dining here if you want an old fashioned neighborhood restaurant with the utmost quality.

1  Thank sandysilvers
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I hate to use the word quaint, but this place is that. I sound like my mom when I say that word...

Anyways, we went to River Deli on a Friday with a group of 4 people, they took reservations on the early end (7pm). Food was simple, good Italian food. The neighborhood and restaurant itself had great atmosphere. Was a smaller split-room restaurant with thoughtfully curated decor. Interior felt very similar to Freeman's in Manhattan.

Drink selection was good, cocktails were about $11. Great wine selection. Great pasta. I had the papardelle with mushrooms. Food isn't trying too hard. Appetizer we had eggplant with truffle oil. Dessert had the ricotta cheesecake and chocolate mousse. For 4 people with everyone drinking 1-2 drinks it came out to about $150. Not bad at all.

Overall, food is good, ambiance is intimate. You feel a tad special sitting down here. It's surprisingly good priced for the neighborhood and popularity of the place. I'd go back.

1  Thank Arun21
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stumbled across this when walking through Brooklyn. The restaurant is very cute and has a romantic atmosphere. We ordered tuna and steak, they were both delicious. The neighbourhood was so pretty and quiet, with locals returning home from work. It was nice to get away from the hussle and bussle and eat some proper food!

1  Thank sarawill