“Excellent meal” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Anselm

St. Anselm
Ranked #59 of 5,292 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Long Island, NY
“Excellent meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

I went to St. Anselm with my son about a year ago and couldn't find it on Trip Advisor to post a review but our meal was so good that I wanted to add a review now. We had the ribeye steak, which was excellent. All of our food that evening was very good as was the service. My son returned for a second meal and tried the butcher steak which he tells me was also excellent and a fantastic value. Apparently the restaurant has now become very popular and, since it doesn't take reservations and is not very large, there can be a long wait according to more recent reviews. I would suggest going early on a weeknight. It's worth a short wait.

• Visited April 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Over rated!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

Tried this place whilst staying in Williamsburg on the strength of the reviews. It is quite simply overrated - not sure why maybe because its rated by tourists and people on first dates trying to impress each other with their ability to order the most expensive or largest piece of meat on the menu.

We had the sardines to start which were very good until we realised that they were cooked on the same grill as the meat. In fact all the food is cooked on the same grill whether it is beef, pork,lamb, fish or vegetable which really should not happen for obvious reasons.

The lamb chop we shared was very very big but very fatty and difficult to cut with a steak knife. In all my years of eating lamb I've never had lamb served in a restaurant which was so fatty and tough. I live in Trukish North London where lamb is a staple on the menu so know how it should be served.

The approach to wine is pretentious in the extreme. If you're not drinking the craft beers you have to pay $40 for a half bottle of wine. I have spent my whole adult life drinking wine with meals in restaurants and felt the pricing was designed to ripe-off the diner. Even the 'daught' wine was $26 for 500ml.

In short I would not recommend this place, although I should say the service was very good.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank spainagain2
Sydney
“Best steak in Brooklyn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

St Anselm is my local favorite. The Butcher's steak here is off the hook. It is ridiculously priced too at $16! You would go up the road and pay $70 for the same steak at Peter Lugers. It is always my spot to take visitors from out of town and never disappoints. You should definitely try the Spinach Gratin as well, it literally melts in your mouth.

The one thing to remember is that there will always be a wait at this place, make sure to come 1 hour before you are hungry because that is about the amount of time you will have to wait. However a good tip is to wait in the bar next door which is owned by the same people, you can bring your drinks through.

• Visited January 2014
Toronto, Canada
“A cool stop in Brooklyn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

You can get here easily by taking the L train, it is on a street with lots of other restaurants, so this can be overlooked easily.
The interior is lovely - kinda like a winter ski lodge. Cozy with wood paneling. We loved it.
There was four of us and we each tried a different main and shared four sides. I had the salmon, we tried the steak, the pork chops and the chicken...now, the chicken is not for the faint of heart. It comes out beak and legs attached.
The sides were a great size for splitting.
We enjoyed it and the service was lovely as well.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Great Steak in Brooklyn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I knew enough about the restaurants and gastropubs in Williamsburg to know I wanted to have a meal there. Prior to a recent visit my daughter did some research and came up with St Anselm. What a fantastic place. Very relaxed atmosphere, great food - possibly one of the best steaks I have ever eaten - and knowledgeable wait staff. (Did you know Long Island produced a very good red? I certainly didn't until our waiter suggested it.) We had the grandson with us, and he was happy to accomodate him. All in all, a great night out. As they don't seem to take reservations either get there early or prepare to wait a bit to be seated, but definately go.

• Visited October 2013