“good food but do not expect authentic”
Review of Schnitzel Haus

Schnitzel Haus
Ranked #792 of 5,583 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Since 2007, owners Fred and Amber Urban together with their son and manager Richard Urban, bring authentic German cuisine to Brooklyn. Tastes from the ‘old country’ are recreated and enjoyed at the Schnitzel Haus of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Come join us for lunch or dinner seven days a week or have us cater an event for you in our private lounge complete with a lovely veranda. We also offer off premise catering for your next event please contact us for additional details.
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The food is tasty. Menu is very German but prepared to american style (mustard, butter, fries). Good variety of beers and vine.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Nothing bad to say about this place, great food, awesome beer choices, service is excellent and whenever they have a band they always sound awesome :)

1  Thank HopAlong107
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We had seen the Christmas lights and after walking around in the cold were ready for a warm place to sit and eat. My son had eaten here before and decided it would be good. Despite having to drive around awhile to find parking, we were not disappointed. The restaurant had a cozy warm atmosphere and the server was friendly and attentive. Since I am not a big sausage fan life the men in my family, I had the "Gulasch Suppe “Zigeuner Art” --spicy beef goulash soup. The soup paired with a house salad made a complete meal and was delicious. I suggest that you look over the menu before you go and decide if "authentic German food" is what you enjoy. My husband had a bit of a hard time deciding on what he wanted, partly because he wasn't familiar with German food.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

On Saturday night, about 7:30pm, we were a party of 4. We were seated quick enough, and the server was pleasant. Only they ran out of their regular menu item, Potato Leek soup, and substituted it with some spicy, shredded beef one. It was too spicy for me, and gave up after two spoonfuls. I ordered the Sauerbraten and it was the worst I have ever had in my life. Too dry, no matter how much of the sauce, red cabbage or dumpling I tried eating it with. I took it home in hopes it would marinate in its juices. Nope still dry...It stunk that I threw out a meal that size. Very disappointing. My other table mates liked their food.

What was probably the worst thing, was that karaoke started while the dining room was full of people. What happened to German music in a German restaurant? To be assaulted by people screeching songs, especially the guy running up and down the restaurant singing horrendously wearing a dirty white t-shirt and santa hat like he was on stage was appalling. This was the first time in memory everyone packed up their food and we left without even ordering coffee.

3  Thank grtchris
Reviewed November 6, 2012

SANDY struck the east coast on Monday. Luckily, my house was ok ex for loss of power and my son (in Bay Ridge Brooklyn) never lost power. I spent all week in a shelter and wanted to drive out for my usual Sunday lunch with son. Was worried about getting there but going the Goethels & the Verrazano Bridges it was a piece of cake because of gas rationing!! Son had a list of new restaurants for us to try (he recently moved to Bay Ridge from Park Slope) and I picked the German restaurant thinking a nice, hearty meal would be in order. This is a BEAUTIFUL German restaurant both outside and inside. Take pics and you can send them to friends with 'greetings from Germany!!' NICE waiter & we ordered 2 German beers. My son works as an illustrator for a beer distribution company and he is a real beer snob at this point so he loved the choices of beer (and he went to Germany for a college graduation present in 2005. Son & I ordered the Schnitzel with Hunter sauce and both ordered spaetzle for the side dish. We each had 2 huge servings of meat and a generous portion of spaetzle. It was great as I could take leftovers back to the shelter where I was staying to have for dinner instead of the pizza they were serving. We didn't opt for dessert but had very delicious coffee which, to me, had a cinnamon hint.
I highly recommend this delightful restaurant! A great break from a long week of waiting for my power to come on !