“Best coffee EVER!”

Brooklyn Roasting Company
Ranked #1 of 185 Coffee & Tea in Brooklyn
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My wife and I stumbled onto this place on a bike ride over Manhattan and Brooklyn bridges (follow the signs off the Manhattan bridge overpass to the waterfront and keep going until you hit a dead end). Inconspicuous in its DUMBO warehouse, the only visible signs of great coffee were the few contented customers on the tables outside, and a small queue inside the door. Finding a place to lock our bikes up was a considerable challenge, with every pole 5 deep in bikes and nearby scaffolding warning of confiscation! A top cycling destination, they could do with a few more racks! We got creative with a nearby relay box...

20 minutes later I was sipping had the best latte I had ever had (and I've had a lot of lattes!). Tech starts doing business amongst stacked sacks of raw beans, a roasting machine being tended in one corner, and a couple of workers carefully tasting the blends - this was easily the coolest atmosphere of any cafe I have been in.

The sandwiches were good, and I was moved to purchase a tin of coffee to take home to Australia and a t-shirt.

If I lived in Manhattan, I'd be cycling here for my coffee.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

This coffee place has a cool industrial design. It is not made to look that way, it really is an old warehouse. Great coffee served in an awesome Bodum double paned glass cup. (by request) But $4.00 for a small latte is steep. For me, anywhere the does "latte art" gets extra points.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I loved this place! Why?

1) walk in, coffee smell (obviously) that smells amazing, the smell and the rustic/industrial look makes the place feel like you've stepped into a real "lets get down to business" coffee shop.

2) staff were very welcoming. Served by a lady with curly hair who was great.

3) the menu was clear, the prices were what you'd expect. About prices- yeah okay, the ain't cheap BUT think about it- you'd pay the same going to a huge global chain where you have to fight for a place to sit and the coffee is rushed. Yeah.

4) free water. In England, we rarely get that.

5) you can buy canisters of coffee to take home, you can also get it grounded if you wish.

6) interesting seating

7) get your coffee to go and walk 3 minuets to the best view of manhattan across the water.

The coffee I took home was a canister of the White Wine and pear. I'm drinking it now! It's lovely but needs a dash of sugar. It's a bit sweeter that way.

I have fond memories about this coffee shop.

Will I go back? Yes!!!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a true Brooklyn coffee lovers experience! You can smell the coffee as you get close. Grab a cup and stroll in the near by park, or stay and enjoy the vibe in the coffee shop! We buy the coffee which comes in cute tins for ourselves and to take as gifts when we visit friends and family out of town. Great prices as well. Just delicious, a must try, coffee from Brooklyn Roasting Company:)

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I'm not a tourist, I'm a local Brooklynite who tried this coffee shop for the first time a month ago.

I typically buy roasted coffee beans (I grind them at home and have fresh coffee every morning) and I was very excited to try the Brooklyn Roasting Company given all the positive buzz I've heard from my friends. I was also looking for beans from a local roaster to replace the beans I got from Stumptown and Intelligentsia, which are not NYC-based roasters, but are known for their excellent coffee beans (and they are truly terrific!).

The staff was very nice and accommodating - explaining the different types of beans they had, when they were roasted, etc. Maybe I chose poorly. The first week the beans were flavorful and then suddenly a week later, the beans had no flavor whatsoever. I'm not sure what happened (I stored them in an airtight container like I normally do), but I was very disappointed. I will go back to Stumptown or Intelligentsia beans.

If you're a tourist and are wandering around DUMBO for the first time this is a nice cafe for a break and it's close to the water and Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges, but if you're thinking about buying beans and carrying it back to your home country, think twice.