“Great Sunday afternoon”

Williamsburg Smorgasburg
Ranked #15 of 227 things to do in Brooklyn
More attraction details
Owner description: Smorgasburg is a weekly festival of over 100 food vendors, as well as a full outdoor bar. Located in a state park on the prime Williamsburg waterfront, and with killer skyline views, Smorgasburg appeals to kids and adults alike.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Having read about it doing some pre-trip research, some friends from New York mentioned they preferred the Smorgasburg in Brooklyn on Sunday, as opposed to Williamsburg on Saturday. The only difference I could see is that they don't serve alcohol at the Brooklyn one although it's coming, so keep that in mind when deciding which one to go to. I'd imagine that might impact the type of experience you might have, but not sure. It is busy and there are often lines at specific stalls, but every vendor brought their A game so you don't necessarily always have to follow the crowd. There aren't that many places to sit in the area where the food is served but plenty of benches with great views of Manhattan are just a short walk away.

The crowd is what makes this only four out of five, but that's to be expected (fully acknowledging that I was part of it) and where else are you going to have Jamaican, Korean, Bolivian and Pigs in a Blanket in one meal? (Your food experience may vary.)

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We visited the Brooklyn Bridge area location of Smorgasburg today (a Sunday). It runs from 11 AM - 6 PM on Sundays at this location - Pier 5 on the Promenade. I had seen this attraction on the Barefoot Contessa on Food Network (I love me some Ina Garten, and as a bonus, she was visiting Smorgasburg with Eli Zabar - bonus, baby!). I had to see this place.

My husband and I walked about 25 minutes or so from our hotel on Adams Street near the Brooklyn Bridge. It took a little maneuvering to figure out how to cross over or under the highway while on foot. We could see the pier from high up above the highway and it was not obvious to us how to navigate our way downward, but thank God my husband is awesome at finding his way in unfamiliar territory. We meandered through some gorgeous brownstone lined streets in Brooklyn Heights and wound our way back around and down to the pier.

Bring cash to Smorgasburg. If you forget, there is an ATM at the entrance. There is no entrance fee for this "gourmet food flea market."

Okay, now for the fun stuff. THIS PLACE IS INCREDIBLE!!!! Wow wow wow wow. The sheer variety is amazing. The vast array of ethnicities represented is fabulous - recipes from all around the globe, from every continent of the globe - and very upscale and of extremely high quality. Many organic ingredients, locally sourced, all-natural, no chemicals or preservatives to be found. The quality of everything we saw was just spectacular. Thai, Mexican, Ethiopian, French, all kinds of regional American, Italian, Indian, snacks, full meals, drinks, desserts, all kinds of bakeries, shaved ice, ice cream, vegan food stands, tons of vegetarian options, tons of seafood, zillions of meat options - each thing is more unique and boutiquey than the next.

Some of the prices were pretty high. I think this is the kind of experience where you can't worry about overpaying. Just grab some cash and splurge a little - it's worth it. And you are supporting local, small companies and purveyors, nothing "big box" or corporate.

My advice would be to roam around a bit before selecting what to buy. Don't buy the first thing you see, even if you want to! (Of course my husband did that - but in all fairness we had skipped breakfast and walked a couple miles and it was almost noon - he was a hungry guy). I liked to look around extensively first and really figure out what I wanted.

In some cases, samples are offered which is nice. You also can buy certain things to take home. For example, my husband bought a small bottle of hot sauce that he sampled and loved. We also saw lots of other condiments for sale, bottles of specially flavored ketchup (I saw beet ketchup - can you believe that?), spice blends, satay sauces, curry pastes, horseradish in jars, pickled vegetables...on and on.

There are some areas for sitting down, plus many people just eat standing up while casually roaming from section to section, checking things out. If you want to sit and can't find a seat in the actual flea market area, you are two minutes away from plenty of benches on the water walkway, overlooking Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. The natural views here are spectacular which added to the specialness of the visit.

Lastly, if you need to push a baby stroller, no problem. We saw lots of families with young kids and there is plenty of room to push a carriage around this venue.

Check out Smorgasburg - you will not regret it!!!!

1  Thank bkramer947
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We visited on the first outdoor day this year (Saturday 5th April) It was really windy which made things difficult for the vendors but the food was still outstandingly delicious. We were staying downtown so made the trip using the East River ferry. That really added to the day as we got great views and a pleasant boat trip. As well as food to eat on the spot there is also much to buy and take away such as jams, chutneys, pickles, breads and all sorts. As we were visiting from the UK we couldn't buy as much as we would have liked but couldn't resist some of it.

Stand out bite? Can't decide between Landhaus Maple Bacon on a stick and the Lemon-Ricotta fritter from Frittering Away. Both worth a trip!

Smorgasburg is also at Brooklyn Bridge Park on a Sunday - fabulous views from there too.

1  Thank rovingruby
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We visited on the last weekend it was indoors and it was a great way to spend a chilly Sunday. Great way to taste many amazing foods in one place! The worst part was trying to choose what to have! Don't miss it!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I love the food market all year round, but it's nice to get outside in the summer. Great views of Manhattan as well from the water. Food is great, so expect long queues. Beer 'garden' available as well.