“Ate here on the advice of a friend”

Avlee Greek Kitchen
Ranked #450 of 5,349 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Brooklyn, New York
“Ate here on the advice of a friend”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

My wife and I loved this place. Sort of off the beaten path for Smith St. Very low key. Great service, and wonderful food. My wife had the Greek salad, which she said was above average.

The only way to know if a Greek restaurant is any good is by ordering the pasticio. It was sublime here. Just a hint of nutmeg and cinammon. Just the right amount of meat, and an oh so soft and delicate bechamel sauce. Dinner came with a choice of side dish. Since my wife was with me, I picked the healthy kale and roasted chickpeas. I'm not much of a 'green guy', but this was delicious. Both items were $14.00 and offered good value.

Greek wine + beer available.

• Visited August 2014

Fly Creek, New York
“GO-TO GREEK”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I wish I lived next door to this wonderful restaurant. It is intimate and unpretentious, with delightful service and delicious food.
If you're hankering for modestly-priced but flavorful Greek food, you surely cannot do better than Avlee's Greek Kitchen.
We visited with our son, who is an Avlee fan.
For appetizers, we went with the choice of three spreads (in good-sized pots) for a mere $12: we chose the good and garlicky Scordalia potato spread, the perfectly spiced Tirokafteri cheese spread, and the must-have yogurt, cucumber and dill Tzatziki.
For a hot day in Brooklyn, this was the perfect way to start a meal -- especially with a $2 platter of fried and seasoned pita chips, a $6 side-plate of Gigandes (the big white beans in an onion tomato sauce), and hand-cut Russet potato fries (my least favorite item of the whole meal because it wasn't Greek; next time I would order the GREEK fries with feta cheese, lemon and oil).
Our son ordered the $8 chicken souvlaki in a pita for his main, one of his favorite things to eat here. It was huge, but he inhaled it before I even got a look at it.
My husband picked the $12 small serving of Kalamaraki: squid grilled in lemon oil, served over Prasini (romaine, scallions, dill, feta and olives), a more than ample entree which he loved.
I chose the $14 Mousaka with salad. It was perfect!
This is a terrific eatery for vegans and vegetarians, since Avlee also offers items like Horta Revithia, a sauteed kale and roasted chick pea meal.
My only regret? No room left for baklava or galaktoboureko!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank sylvandiva
Brooklyn, NY
“Excellent taverna food in Carrol Gardens”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

My new favorite neighborhood restaurant is Avlee. Prices are reasonable. Reaturant is small. Service is attentive. Food is better than Astoria and better than fancy Greek places in Manhattan. ASppetizers include the usual suspects but also an excellent eggplant salad, beet salad, gigantes, octopus etc. Mains include a marvelous battered salt cod and a great half chicken with lemon and herbs, Other fishes and meets are on the menu.This is not haiute cuisine or nouvelle greque - just first-rate takes on traditional dishes. Quitge frankly, Avlee has the flavors closest to those appreciated in Greece itself of all Greek restaurants in New York.

• Visited June 2014
Brooklyn
“Love This Place”
Reviewed May 20, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Friendly staff, awesome owner and amazing Greek food that we need more of. Every thing is delicious and the fish is always perfected cooked! Can't wait for the garden to open. Best part is you can also buy some of the best Greek sundries home - honey from Crete, sour cherries, olive oil, etc.

Great casual place to become a favorite.

Visited May 2014
California
“Always good”
Reviewed December 17, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This is one of my favorite regular everyday dining spots in Brooklyn. I especially love the Greek salad. The tomatoes taste like home grown. Everything is very fresh.

Visited November 2013