“Charming owner, great food.”

Giovanni's Brooklyn Eats
Ranked #336 of 5,349 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Brooklyn, New York
“Charming owner, great food.”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

First impression: Giovanny is so charming that you feel at ease right away. Second: there are tablecloths on the tables and it is a sign that the restaurant has an European flair. It is a detail but it means genuine RESTAURANT. Then, the food and the wine are just great.

• Visited October 2013

NYC
“Nice quiet dinner spot in Brooklyn”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Small restaurant with excellent food and service. No reservations – a 15 - 20 minute wait was what we were told when we arrived and true to his word, we were seated 15 minutes later. For appetizers, we had the Calamari & Zucchini Friti and the Zuppe di Cozze in white wine sauce – both dishes were prepared perfectly – the friti was crispy and served with a spicy marinara. The mussels were also cooked perfectly in a very tasty lemony white wine sauce. Dinner was the Vitello Salti in Bocca (veal scallopini sauteed in white wine, layered with fresh sage, prosciutto & mozzarella cheese served with rosemary roasted potatoes) and Bistecca alla Griglia (grilled hanger steak served over garlic mashed potatoes & fried cipollini onions. Again, both deliciously prepared.

The atmosphere was casual and cozy, the decor has a rustic feel. Service was attentive and always with a smile. We shared Tartufo and coffee for dessert to finish off our dinner. Overall, It was pleasant dining at very reasonable prices.

I am looking forward to going back and trying the salads and the pasta dishes. There were so many choices and everything looked good! I went for a special that evening because it sounded like something I would enjoy and I did.

• Visited November 2013
Belgium
“A great find”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My friend and I had dinner here last week, and it was delicious. The restaurant itself is cozy and has a good deal of charm. The staff is friendly and when you order a glass of wine, you get an actual big glass that's pretty full. The food was wonderful, we both had one of the specials and it's pretty cheap. I'd definitely recommend and go back myself.

Not bad for something my friend looked up on yelp on her phone in about 5 minutes' time.

• Visited May 2013
Brooklyn New York, USA
“brooklyn eats”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Giovanni’s is right in my neighborhood, so I feel a bit like a cheat putting it on tripadvisor. But the place is awesome. The food is great, and relatively cheap. The wait staff is super friendly. Whenever I walk in, I feel like I’ve been transported into that friendly, neighborly Brooklyn that is on TV shows or movies set in the 1950’s. It’s a Brooklyn where everybody knows everybody even when they don’t. Giovanni’s is definitely worth a trip out to the “South Slope” if you’re visiting NYC.

• Visited January 2013
virginia
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We ate as part of a party of 6 on Thursday, December 13. What a great time! Appetizers ordered included calmari, l'arugula and garden salads. Entrees of lasagna, spaghetti pomodoro, steamed mussels and shrimp were all tremendously enjoyed. Our waiter and waitress were superb as was the bartender. We ordered 1 of every dessert to share which included tiramisu, almond cake, cheesecake, and something wonderful with chocolate and ice cream, the name of which I can't remember. All was delicious. Giovanni's is a small, neighborhood restaurant and the time and attention to detail shows. I highly recommend it.

• Visited December 2012