“It's not worthwile”
Review of Pok Pok NY

Pok Pok NY
Reserve with OpenTable
Pok Pok NY is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #124 of 5,349 Restaurants in Brooklyn
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York City, New York
“It's not worthwile”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The athmosfere Was great, little place with beautiful colour but the food Was terrible, I felt really bad after dinner and Also the day after.
The bill Was very high instead of what we ate.
I'm really sorry about that .actually it'd be a really godo restaurant

Toronto
“I'll Dream of This Place”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I were in NYC on a gastro tour, and I had found out about this little gem in NYMag. I read about the extensive line ups. The hanging out at bars waiting for the phone call. The sidewalk flowing with waiting patrons. It's not anything like that. We arrived around 7:00 or so, left our name with the hostess, and gave her our phone number. She said it would be an hour or so, but by the time we were able to drown ourselves with one drink (barely a drowning, I'd say), my phone rang, and we headed over.

All I can tell you is you need to go. You need to go, and I need to go back. I will dream of this place. The atmosphere is great -- it's like being in someone's backyard, friendly waitstaff, and it's totally unpretentious. The food is amazing. Like no food I've had in recent memory. The BBQ hen (Kai Yaang) was delicious. Finger licking good. The thin noodle Kung Op Wun Sen was sublimely good. The Kaeng Hung Leh, a northern Thai curry of pork shoulder and pork belly was heart stoppingly good. Sticky rice to go with all.

Fueled with the bourbon from the bar just to the south, it was terrifically fantastic. I'm going to dream about this place.

Oh, and just to give you some perspective, on how good this place is, other NYC boites I've been eating at included some pretty serious restaurants, and I'd go back to this place in a heartbeat.

Stockholm
“I Thai like that you would like close to your house”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Hyped but the food critics were right this time. Always fun to discover a genuine restaurant that price worthy. Must be the best Thai food in NYC / Brooklyn. Authentic and shows the great diversity of Thai food. Applauds. Hardworking bartender mixes innovative drinks A short subway trip outside NYC and everything gets laid back and soft.

Moncton, Canada
“Possibly the best tasting meal I've ever had”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Vietnamese Fish Sauce wings were incredible, curry beef was superb. Decor was "quaint", ate in a tent out back (where Anthony Bourdain also ate, btw, on last episode of "No Reservations" 2012). Highly recommend, worth the long wait. Leave your name and have a bottle of wine at the Chio restaurant/bar at the end of the block.

• Visited December 2012
new york
“I am becoming less of a fan of waiting in line”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

OK the reviews and raves made me want to go. I like Thai food. I have never been to the original restaurant in Portland or to Thailand. So no comparisons. Two of the dishes were outstanding. They were the charred eggplant salad and an excellent rendition of papaya salad. The brussels sprouts and the pork laab--disappointing--we didn't finish them.

We took a cab from Manhattan (cost as much as meal for one-no worries not an expensive restaurant) and trekked to the 4 train home-Easy btw. Just exit restaurant and turn right on Kane to Court turn left. Walk a total of about 16 blocks.

I thought I detected some attitude in the door person and the wait person. I didn't appreciate this. Even Mission Chinese can manage a line and popularity in a much nicer way. I'd say Pok Pok needs a consult iwth Danny Meyer.

There are tables for 24 and seats at the bar maybe for 6. If I lived nearby, maybe fine. I know there are wonderful restaurants in Brooklyn, but it may be time to stick to my own borough. the hassle index of the outing was high. The subway was the best part. Maybe a summer evening is better--I hear there is outdoor seating.