“Characterful Brooklyn B&B.”
Review of Dekoven Suites

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brooklyn
Dekoven Suites
Ranked #11 of 57 Brooklyn B&B and Inns
France
“Characterful Brooklyn B&B.”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed at the B&B for a week and enjoyed our stay. Susan and Chalo were very welcoming and willing to give their time to explain the delights of Brooklyn. They have an extensive knowledge of New York and all the sights which is invaluable for first time visitors to the city. And you really feel that you are living in the house of a friend. This traditional Brooklyn house in a quiet neighbourhood is cosy and characterful, the bedrooms spacious and the shower good. There is easy access to to nearby subway lines B and Q to Manhatten, but the rumble from the occasional night train can be disturbing to a light sleeper. And an easy chair in the bedroom would be great for tired legs!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed for three nights in the master bedroom (note: there are two bedrooms on the second floor of the house, which doesn't seem to be reflected on the website). Susan was a complete pleasure to work with in the lead up to my visit and while I stayed. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend this B&B to others mostly because I feel that the home needs some updating in order to be more comfortable for guests. To me the house felt a little run-down and cluttered. Also, because it is an old house, noise traveled far and I often felt I could hear everything that was happening in the rooms above and below me. There wasn't really a sense of privacy even when I was in my room. I also found the bed to be quite uncomfortable. I will say that it did seem to be the most affordably priced B&B in the neighborhood, so perhaps it is fair to have less comfort for a lower cost. Nevertheless, were I to be in the area again, I would pay the extra $25/night to stay in one of the other B&B's nearby in hopes that the accommodations would be a little nicer and make for a more pleasant and relaxing visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank candidtraveler
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I hesitate to write this review only because I don't want to give away our hidden "gem" secret. However, it wouldn't be fair to keep information about Dekoven Suites to ourselves, though I would love to. That said, you will feel upon entering this fabulous home that you are not paying customers, but their one and only honored and invited guests. Truly Chalo and Susan are just that kind and welcoming.

This was my husband's and my second stay at the DS and like some of the other reviewers said, it will be the only place we will stay while in Brooklyn. Let all the other NYC visitors stay in Manhattan...for us there is no place else we'd rather come "home" to after a full day being out and about. It's quiet, private and just gorgeous. Everywhere you look there is interesting artwork, antiques, and lots and lots of printed materials informing visitors on not only Manhattan (where to go,eat, see, etc.), but also about Brooklyn itself. While staying at the DS you will have all the comforts of home and will congratulate yourself for being such a savvy traveler!

Don't miss the opportunity to stay in one of the warmest, most comfortable and most charming locations in the city. You will not be dissappointed.

Cheers to your continued success Chalo and Susan. We'll see you soon!

Michele (nee Schaffer) and Don Downey

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Shelleysch1
Fairport, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2012

You know that when you walk in the door of the Dekoven you will be greeted with sincere warmth and kindness, information about the city, great places to eat, drink, walk, experience. And when you return you will sleep well in a comfy bed, spacious room, shower in a wonderful space and have lovely breakfast and good strong cup of coffee. Icing on the cake - great conversation with the owners who make you wish that not only did you live nearby, but that you were their best friends. Stay there. You will love it.

Room Tip: They are all great
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank phbrazill
Asuncion, Paraguay
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I was at Dekoven Suites, a B / B in Brooklyn

Upon reaching the area, the first thing that impressed me were the elderly and splendid trees that created a peaceful and quiet ambiance, which was seldom interrupted by the sounds of the subway. I immediately fell in love with the cozy, American décor when I entered the house, which created a very warm, "at home" feeling.

The place is located in a quiet tree lined cul-de-sac just three blocks from the subway with grocery stores, pharmacies, mini markets, and fast food places all nearby.

I stayed in the large Master Bedroom, whose pillows and sheets were amazingly comfortable to sleep in and included a small refrigerator, table, large flat screen TV and coffee maker and Private bathroom

For breakfast you may choose from coffee or a variety of teas, croissants, breads, fruit, cereal, yogurt, cheese, juices and delicious cornbread prepared by the owner.

The Innkeepers, Susan and Chalo, were very friendly and welcoming from the start of our visit. They were extremely helpful by giving me very useful advice on how to move around, what places to visit, where to go shopping, where to expect the best meals, and other useful information for tourists. They helped me out on getting theater as well as baseball tickets for my family and I. They were just wonderful.

I don't know when I'll get to return to NY, but I am confident that B/ B Dekoven will be my first choice on where to stay at for next time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Cristina B
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We have adult children and grandkids living in New York so we travel there from Washington, DC frequently. We've staying at Dekoven Suites probably 10 or more times since a few years ago we discovered this absolute gem. Susan and Chalo are great hosts, their rooms are large and well appointed. The basement suite is perfect for friends traveling together or a small family. The house is located a very short walk to the Q train into Manhattan or a slightly longer walk to Cortelyou St and several very good restaurants and groceries.
The cost is so much less than a hotel, there's on street parking and a filling continental breakfast, we can't imagine staying anywhere else!

Room Tip: All the rooms are comfortable. The "master bedroom" is a little closer to the Q train whi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Elizabeth K
Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed June 8, 2012

We've stayed here a couple of times when visiting our children. Its a lovely, warm home away from home, with lots of personal attention. Like visiting old friends!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family