“Pallas's Cats were Purrfect!”
Review of Prospect Park Zoo

Brooklyn Botanic Garden Admission Ticket
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Operated by the Wildlife Conservation Society, this zoo exhibits more than 400 animals including Sea Lions, Hamadryas baboons, Red Pandas, North American River Otters, Reptiles and Amphibians, Pallas Cats, Hornbills and more. Small cafe and gift shop, barnyard with sheep, goats, cows.
Reviewed August 19, 2014

So I may be a little biased, but I went to this zoo to specifically see the Pallas's cat. There are under 50 of them in captivity, and two happen to be at the Prospect Park zoo. I got exactly what I came for. A few moments with one of the animals I always wanted to see. Perfect.

This zoo is fairly inexpensive- $8. It is small, don't expect an exhaustively complete zoo experience. Do expect a small zoo that is family friendly, but not overrun with toddlers so that adults can't enjoy themselves.

On a Saturday, there were a pleasant amount of people, and several keepers to talk to us and point out the Slow Lorris. The baboons were especially wonderful.

My only complaint is that the entrance wasn't so easy to find. It isn't marked well in the park, and we ended up walking around it, as did some other families we encountered.

All reviews
"a lot of fun"
"baboons"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed August 8, 2014

The art deco/style moderne buildings and landscape plantings are beautiful and well maintained.The zoo is very easy to get around, a good place to visit with small to medium sized children as they will enjoy the exhibits and nobody will be overwhelmed or exhausted.

Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

The zoo is a small one, without the more common large zoo animals. My three year old loved the sea-lions especially feeding time when the sea lions preformed some tricks. There were many unusual smaller species animals which were plenty fun to watch.
The zoo is quite small and took us about two hours going through it very slowly. Bottom line a nice place to spend a few hours.

1  Thank naomi613
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Prospect Park itself is very beautiful, and you can find lots of things in the area. There is a huge park nearby, fountain, playground, and restaurants in Park Slope. I didn't expect it to be so beautiful. But like any pretty place in NY, space is an issue hence no parking. The zoo does not have free parking, you have to find street parking which, if you come a bit late, it is very very hard. We spent over 30 mins just looking for parking. It is not too far from Manhattan but parking itself takes more time. The subway goes here but I am not sure how long the walk is.

We went with my 16 month old twin boys. The zoo is tiny, smaller than Central Park zoo. I have a WCS pass so it was free for us. The zoo is easily doable in one hour. Everything is located nearby and my kids had a wonderful time. They have started recognizing animals and birds. This place has hens, turkey, and toucans, so something new from other zoos around. The Queens zoo is much better and bigger, but this zoo was very beautiful too and perfect for a short afternoon with kids. It was green, with lots of flowers and greenery. A lot of the animals are indoors so we could easily escape the sun and rain. The best part was that it wasn't crowded so a welcome relief from Bronx or Central Park zoo. My kids had a wonderful time chasing a peacock. The staff also wasn't on our case about not having the kids too close to the glass. Lots of monkeys and awesome baboons. All in all an afternoon well spent. I recommend this zoo if you are in the vicinity. But for a special trip, the Queens zoo is better but bigger and would need more hours.